WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Using Fattin Hotspot Toggle with the OTA Jelly Bean works great

svtp works with my Nexus and i just updated to JB yesterday.

Tried both of these apps, they DO NOT work with my stock JB on an unlimited data plan...they connect, and the internet works sparingly if at all, tried running a speed test, and it won't even ping. those of you that say ur tethering is still working are u on a tiered data plan? or a grandfathered unlimited plan...also what device are you tethering...? thanks

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Tried both of these apps, they DO NOT work with my stock JB on an unlimited data plan...they connect, and the internet works sparingly if at all, tried running a speed test, and it won't even ping. those of you that say ur tethering is still working are u on a tiered data plan? or a grandfathered unlimited plan...also what device are you tethering...? thanks

Unlimited
Razr M

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks...i was thinking maybe my unlimited plan was the cause...guess not

I have been using this free app for more than 9 months and it works perfectly.
I can tether my VZW GN(unlimited, OTA Jelly Bean) via wifi to my PC, laptop,
tablet, Roku, and even DVR. I just wish it has an auto-off timer to turn off
hotspot after a couple of hours.(not sure if any hotspot tethering app has the
feature) Hotspot is very thirsty and I sometimes forget to turn it off...

Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget (by taiseiko)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...erWidget&feature=search_result&token=PlBRINA4
5JzDvccOyULVQWF56uxUfMVIevpKZWwqp5Q75amk-7qljHfLUYKh5zl9FG6P-ew7OOQ=w124

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...erWidget&feature=search_result&token=xwUtlhF3

Thanks guys I tried both of these apps before, I followed the instructions of the link above @Nortega but I got an error message...I will try
Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget (by taiseiko) again...

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Not working for me...

I can connect but have no internet access. I have Portable Wi-fi hotspop checked off in the settings.
I have tried checking and unchecking bluetooth tethering...no luck either. When I check bluetooth tethering...it checks my subscription status with verizon...no bueno

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...erWidget&feature=search_result&token=I--S8NnS

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay...this is strange. After being connected with no internet access for over 15 minutes...I get a phone call...after I end my call...I now have internet access.

Whatever the reason...glad it works

cotodecaza

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just came across your post regarding the app you developed. Can you help me out a bit? I am with AT&T and have an iPhone 4. I have searched everywhere and currently, if the iPhone has the latest IOS, 6.0.1, not even Cydia has a solution to tether to an android device. There is a beta solution out there but it seems like a hassle.

I have a Google Nexus 7 Wifi. If I switch from the Iphone 4 to either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Samsumg Note 2, can I use your program and without rooting, setup a hotspot from either The S3 or Note 2 Nexus 7? It seems like getting a Nexus 7 with 3G data only will require some type of fairly expensive data plan to use it? I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan becasue I have been an AT&T customer since 1997 and AT&T told me that if I want to tether, I have to forfeit my unlimited data and switch to a shared plan. I'm not giving up unlimited data and although they claim you can add a device to their sahred data plan for $10, that's for 250MB so for all intents and purposes, I would add another $95 to my bill that I am trying to lower not increase.

Thank you. In case I don't hear back for a while, do you have a link or directions to your app. Thank you.

Angelo421

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the S3 on verizon and have been using an app called "Notification Toggle" to operate the hotspot since I got the phone with no problems, and the app is even free!

With notification toggle you can add toggle switches in the notification bar of the phone. I added one for wifi tether, and it works pretty well. The one caveat is that sometimes after a while the connection seems to die, the wifi signal is still there but there is no internet access. From looking around online this seems to be a general problem with the wifi tether on the S3. Most of the time if I just turn on and off wifi on whatever device I am connecting to the S3 with, everything works fine again. It really doesnt happen that often, and I use the tethering a TON w an unlimited data plan (average 20gb using tether a month for 5 months). Verizon's check for the wifi-tether is when you start their app, but if you just use a toggle switch you get around their verification (works after JB update).

Also since for some bizarre reason verizon took away the stock wifi toggle you can add one back in with Notification Toggle as well. You can also add links to apps as well so i have added one for an app called "Phone Info" that also allows you to change the radio mode between 3G/4G etc (note: after JB update to go back to 4G you have to go into settings ->more->mobile networks and select LTE/CDMA, toggle the radio back to 4G in phone info stopped working). I dont know why this isnt a stock setting in the first place, it makes a huge difference in battery life.

I swear I didnt make the app or anything, I have just found it really useful. I was getting frustrated as this was the main drawback of the phone for me, this totally solved all the problems. Hopefully others find it useful!

Last edited:

miketofdal

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man..."all except my slave, that is."
- Thomas Jefferson

atkearns

May 3, 2013
Visit site
SVTP works, I'm connected through it right now!
It's pretty hilarious how it completely bypasses the Verizon message that says you need to call & subscribe for wireless hotspot. Way to go SVTP!

xsylus

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a verizon motorola Droid 4 with cricket wireless. Everything on the phone works; talk, sms, mms and 3G data but anytime I use an app the merely interfaces with the tethering settings I get an error saying that it can't connect to verizon's network. Is there any way to just do like an internet connection sharing since the internet works fine on the phone? I've found one app that sorta works (some apps don't detect the internet through it) but it requires the app to be installed on both devices. I'm hoping to find a better solution. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20