How important is it to close apps?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Occasionally I'll press the open app button (bottom right) and am amazed at how many things I have open, so I swipe them all closed. I've heard that android manages its apps well and it doesn't bog down the phone. But just how much does it affect things and how important is it to close them? And does it make them "open" that much faster when they are already open?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish there were ok buttons when going into menu screens, clicking home then clicking in list then swiping seems inefficient. Clicking back until it disappears seems just as bad. I would even rather click on the three dots then choose end or ok. Guess that's what I get for coming from windows.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Android will use your available memory. If you close out those open apps, Android will just use the memory somewhere else.

This doesn't really help me though. I don't know how much memory or what % of it these apps are using. Are they using 5% or 80% if I have 4-5 normal apps open? How much of a performance degradation would I/we see with several apps open, or would it even affect anything at all? I guess that's what I'm trying to get at - does having all these apps open in the background affect anything other than my OCD to want them closed?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The paid version of system panel will tell you what apps are in RAM and how much CPU resources they are taking up so you can determine if it's worth it to close them, you just need to enable monitoring. There probably is a free app of this type.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Absurdo

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I know people say android can manage its own memory and whatnot. The problem I have is that I don't trust applications to not use cpu cycles and extra battery. I don't care about memory so much as I care about battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech