Sync Facebook to Contacts

AC LINKS

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Just found out how to go around the facebook contact sync problem. Download FriendCaster. Once installed open app. When you see all the tabs turn the phone sideways and you will see the settings tab on the top blue bar. You will not see the settings tab holding the phone straight up! Not the three dot one but the gear looking one. Tap on it, scroll down to Contact sync settings and tap on it. Check sync Contacts and check use high resolution picture then tap on sync now a couple of times. It will look as nothing happened but back out go to contacts and they will be all there. Hope it helps. AC...:)

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately if you uninstall friendcaster the images go away. Since I don't want the app on my phone that's a deal breaker.

NoobTube

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Tried it, and it works as well as friend sync...but the pictures still suck. I really hope 4.0.3 FB contact integration is a big deal to me

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure about that? From what I understand this is a Facebook issue API issue. It can't be "fixed" unless Facebook changes their policy.

I'm never sure about anything that Android does w/ their APIs and whatnot...so no. Just from what I read, they are supposedly fixing the Facebook sync. Things change daily around here, so I wouldn't ever bet on it. :) I especially wouldn't want to lead a fellow Braves fan astray. LOL.

jumpo64

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it hypothesized that this is going to be one of the things that is changed with 4.0.3?

One of the things that is supposed to be changed is social media integration with contacts. It doesn't specifically spell out that pulling pictures from facebook will happen, but hints.

Edit: Never mind, everyone beat me to this information.

reactortrip

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that? From what I understand this is a Facebook issue API issue. It can't be "fixed" unless Facebook changes their policy.

No, it was about who was using what APIs to snag data from each other. Google blocked Facebook from using their APIs.

Looks like it should be fixed in 4.0.3

One of the listed fixes in 4.0.3:

"Social stream API in Contacts provider: Applications that use social stream data such as status updates and check-ins can now sync that data with each of the user?s contacts, providing items in a stream along with photos for each. This new API lets apps show users what the people they know are doing or saying, in addition to their photos and contact information."

Reactions: dbdynsty25

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
No, it was about who was using what APIs to snag data from each other. Google blocked Facebook from using their APIs.

Looks like it should be fixed in 4.0.3

One of the listed fixes in 4.0.3:

"Social stream API in Contacts provider: Applications that use social stream data such as status updates and check-ins can now sync that data with each of the user?s contacts, providing items in a stream along with photos for each. This new API lets apps show users what the people they know are doing or saying, in addition to their photos and contact information."

THAT is what I remember reading. But again, I believe it when I see it! Thanks for the quote!

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
You are correct. It is an issue where Facebook does not want to use the Android API. So Google is blocking the way that Facebook was getting around this issue.

AC LINKS

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I hope it does fix it (4.0.3) otherwise I will just keep the app. To be fair the app is kinda cool. I use the widget and I like how you can slide the comment and like bar up and scroll through the comments. Its a easy fix for now :-\

jimed43

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was odd, that this does not work and it does work on my transformer. Which is honeycomb 3.2. Strange.

Jaskil1975#IM

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just use the Google contact sync for Facebook. Syncs pics from Facebook to Google contacts. Then sync contacts on you phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk