grey signal bars?

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I did a search and didn't find my answer.

What does the color of the Signal & WiFi mean? They are either both blue or both Grey.

Forums for other phones claim everything from no data connectivity to mobile data off.

My mobile data is on and I have data connectivity however my signal bars are grey.

Anyone know for sure?

-Kesnik

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
it just means if you are synced in with google vervices or not. Thats all I think. Dark blue means you are synced.

Reactions: kesnik

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
it just means if you are synced in with google vervices or not. Thats all I think. Dark blue means you are synced.

Yup, this is all it means. It was introduced with Gingerbread, but most manufacturers removed this feature in their UIs. Blue means that you are connected to Google services. Grey means that you are not. Usually when you switch from 4G to 3G, or vice versa, your signal bars will go grey for a few moments. You will probably still have data, but it takes a few seconds for the phone to establish the connection with Google services once again.

However, I find it more useful in low signal areas. There are a few select areas around town where I will have 0-1 bars of 3G, or so the phone thinks (both Nexus and previous phones - Thunderbolt and OG Droid), but in reality no data at all is going through. It's times like these when the grey bars are useful, as they help you recognize that there is a data problem there and that you shouldn't be relying on notifications or streaming music or anything while in those areas, even though you have a few bars of signal strength indicated.

Reactions: kesnik

peternorth226

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
This phone antenna has problems even when i'm on wifi! Got the gnex on friday, noticed low bars all weekend on 4G now I'm in the office on wifi getting grey bars! Not good! In this office we have a gnex, razr, droid 3, droid pro, all with no problems...only the gnex.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint NS4G has same issues and its actually a wide spread "issue" if u look on google forums. It just means that google services are not connected. You could be connected internet via 3g/4g but it would still be greyed out to google servers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21