Brand new Nexus won't even turn on

zeke013

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Help!

My Amazon Wireless Nexus arrived today. I installed the sim and the battery and it won't turn on. Just a dead black screen.

Plugged it into my computer's USB and nothing.

Plugged it into the wall, and nothing.

No light indicating it's charging, and I can't turn it on.

Rechecked the sim card placement and the battery alignment - everything's good to go.

Do I have to send my new toy back?

Anyone here have a thought?

Thanks,

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
idk if it is still on back order w/ amazon but if it is I would expect them to put you at the front of the line and not waiting for all the other orders to fill first..

...its not your fault they sent u a dud

jadewang

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I just ran into the exact same problem today.

My galaxy nexus was working for 2 days and just froze up like a brick today, but I know that I haven't used the charger that came with the phone. I was using the AC adapter from my previous myTouch and a USB-to-microUSB from an external hard drive.

Something tells me I should try the included charger:

https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20752877-my-samsung-galaxy-nexus-won-t-turn-on

My guess is that there might be a different required voltage that only differs by some tiny fluctuation and so it won't charge properly. Just a hypothesis.

I'll get back to you later today with whether that solves the problem. Hope this helps....

-Jade

Help!

My Amazon Wireless Nexus arrived today. I installed the sim and the battery and it won't turn on. Just a dead black screen.

Plugged it into my computer's USB and nothing.

Plugged it into the wall, and nothing.

No light indicating it's charging, and I can't turn it on.

Rechecked the sim card placement and the battery alignment - everything's good to go.

Do I have to send my new toy back?

Anyone here have a thought?

Thanks,

rvonder

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem with mine: Has been working perfectly since I bought it three days ago. Today I had it out with me and used it to make two short calls; next time I pressed the power button nothing happened. Did a battery pull,left it on the charger for awhile, etc. but nothing at all. Screen is dark, no life whatsoever.

If I take it back to Verizon I'm sure they'll give me a new one, but unlike every other smartphone I've owned, there's no removable SD card and I have lots of private data on it. I don't want to return it without clearing the data, but since it won't even turn on, I can't do so. Seems like a massive privacy issue - who knows where the phone would go, and who'd ultimately have access to my data? Any suggestions?

asmarti08

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That's not a good situation, rvonder.

Wow. I wonder what they will suggest...

It's not fair for you to give them back the phone with your private info.
It's also not fair for you to not get a proper replacement / refund.

So.....

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem with mine: Has been working perfectly since I bought it three days ago. Today I had it out with me and used it to make two short calls; next time I pressed the power button nothing happened. Did a battery pull,left it on the charger for awhile, etc. but nothing at all. Screen is dark, no life whatsoever.

If I take it back to Verizon I'm sure they'll give me a new one, but unlike every other smartphone I've owned, there's no removable SD card and I have lots of private data on it. I don't want to return it without clearing the data, but since it won't even turn on, I can't do so. Seems like a massive privacy issue - who knows where the phone would go, and who'd ultimately have access to my data? Any suggestions?
Go buy the extended battery and see if it is a bad battery. Also, buy the insurance on it if you are still able to and I think you are because you have 5 days to sign up, right?

zeke013

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just ran into the exact same problem today.

My galaxy nexus was working for 2 days and just froze up like a brick today, but I know that I haven't used the charger that came with the phone. I was using the AC adapter from my previous myTouch and a USB-to-microUSB from an external hard drive.

Something tells me I should try the included charger:

https://mobicity.zendesk.com/entries/20752877-my-samsung-galaxy-nexus-won-t-turn-on

My guess is that there might be a different required voltage that only differs by some tiny fluctuation and so it won't charge properly. Just a hypothesis.

I'll get back to you later today with whether that solves the problem. Hope this helps....

-Jade

Thanks - that didn't work for me though.

getinthegreenroom

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I've had a Nexus for about two months and its happened a few times. It is working fine and then I pick up the phone to use it and .... nothing .... its lifeless. Luckily I am able to get it going again by removing the battery and reinstalling then hit the power button and it is ok. Its very inconvenient and quite a poor experience. I've also seen it reboot by itself a few times too. I guess a factory reset might help but how long before it starts happening again?

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Solved

Happened to me today. Horrific experience.

I have my GNex since 2 months and today was the first time that the battery got totally drained and phone shut off due to it. I was horrified when the 'charging' animation didn't come up even after I plugged it in a wall socket. Some forum post told me to charge for 30 minutes. Did that and still nothing. Did I brick my phone?? :mad:

Mini-heart-attack. Contacted Samsung. The agent told me to "turn off the phone and pull out the battery for 30 sec". I was thinking "Moron, phone is already off. That's what I'm telling you". Anyway, pulled the battery, count to 30, put it back in, pressed power button. And Android gods smiled. Phone boot up. Heaved a sigh of relief.

This is a smartphone...?? My first ever phone was smarter than this. "When plugged in, show 'charging'." Dumbest phones know this.