Thank you VZW

xxtdxx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
When I was in the Verizon store on Wednesday checking out the Nexus I chatted up one of the sales guys for a few minutes before I left (obviously couldn't buy one that night). I decided on Friday that I was going to get one off contract so I went in and the same guy was in there so I requested his assistance. I told him I wanted the Nexus off contract as well as a hard plastic case and some screen protectors. The guy couldn't believe that I was paying full price for one so he told me he'd help me out because "there's always something that can be done." He then told me my total price was $297 or so. Just under $300 for all of it. He moved my upgrade date up a year. Crazy since we've only been with Verizon since March.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here, not sure what happened but they took 50% off the phone and I just upgraded to the Charge a few months ago. Maybe they figure anyone willing to spend that kind of money so soon is likely to keep spending?

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow......great deal. I got mine yesterday for 199.00 2 year contract upgrade from bestbuy. I showed the sales person Amazon Wireless had them online and they honored the sales price:)

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the hardest time getting Verizon to do that for me right now. I was told on Friday night, by a Verizon rep on the phone, that he will give me a 11 month early upgrade, so I called Best Buy to find out how they deal with the buy back. Turns out they only give a gift card instead of cash, so I had to tell the guy I couldn't do it. Well, after we hung up, a friend told me he would buy the gift card from me, so I have called back 4 different times trying to make this happen again (all referencing the first call, not playing employee roulette). Today, I called Verizon again, and the guy on the phone was like "well, it's noted on the account, so lets get you that phone!". Then when he came back he had to tell me that he can't do it. He felt really bad and even said that he will personally try and track down the guy who first granted me access, and make sure he follows through.

Meanwhile, you just got it handed to you. Life isn't fair :'(

Congrats though, I'm thrilled for you!

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Been trying to get my wife's march upgrade bumped to now so I can get her a nexus for Chrismas with no luck. Buncha Scrooges.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried keeping my Razr and getting an early upgrade to no avail. Miss the Razr but nit as much as I appreciate my Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Guy I bought my phone from at Verizon was definitely a young guy, and I'm sure had no power to do anything of this sort. Bought off-contract.

While it was an extremely nice gesture from the Verizon rep, don't think it was completely selfless -- according to the rep I bought my phone from, they make $0 commission on off-contract device purchases (at least I bought an extended battery from him too, haha.). The guy that moved your upgrade date up made commission on the new contract you presumably signed. So, yeah, it was a very nice thing of him to do, but if he had the power to do so, it was a no-brainer. :p

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Guy I bought my phone from at Verizon was definitely a young guy, and I'm sure had no power to do anything of this sort. Bought off-contract.

While it was an extremely nice gesture from the Verizon rep, don't think it was completely selfless -- according to the rep I bought my phone from, they make $0 commission on off-contract device purchases (at least I bought an extended battery from him too, haha.). The guy that moved your upgrade date up made commission on the new contract you presumably signed. So, yeah, it was a very nice thing of him to do, but if he had the power to do so, it was a no-brainer. :p

Maybe that's how I should play it out. I'll probably head in to a store on my day off and try my luck in person.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't eligible for a upgrade till 08/03/2012. I went to Verizon the day the phone was officially released and was anticipating paying full retail. Well they rang up the phone and said that it was coming up $299.99, they had no clue why!!! So they looked into it, and looked into it, and looked into it, and they said I guess its $299.99. Rang me up and it turned out to be $289.00. i still had the $50 new every two discount, probably prorated to just $10 off. It upgraded my new every two to 08/03/2013 only adding a year.

Does anyone ever remember reading the article on AC in reference to people that like to buy more then one phone every two years and that Verizon was going to be offering some type of loyalty program to people who purchase phones at full retail price.

I bought the Thunderbolt at full retail.... maybe that has something to do with it??? Maybe if you buy one at full retail and then a year later you get another, but they give you that one for on-contract price but extend your contract 1 more year. They're almost guarantied you'll come back in a year to buy another at full retail.... Im just speculating..

Last edited:

ribtits

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
WTF!!! I've been with verizon for 10 years, had a dumbphone that had its 2year contract ended for 8 months, and they didn't give me any kind of discount! They said I already had a discount by buying it at the 299$ price because the original price is 650$. I even asked them about the 3g to 4g 100$ off promotion but they said that didn't apply to me because I lived in the east coast. Had to go to amazon, so now I have to wait until dec. 29th for my phone....:mad: