Anandtech - "Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue"

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
But there's the mention of 'VoLTE capable phones'. Someone else said that LTE phones should be OK, but I really wonder if that's the case. Either way it doesn't look a concern for the near future.

We'll just have to wait and see. My speculation is that the term "VoLTE capable" is simply a semantics issue and that any LTE phone is VoLTE-capable.

Think about it, has Verizon marketed any VoLTE capable phones? If not (which I don't believe they have), then how are there ANY capable phones out there?

The reality is that 3G phones still make up the vast majority of the phones on the market, so VoLTE service just isn't a practical option right now.

Brandon

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
We'll just have to wait and see. My speculation is that the term "VoLTE capable" is simply a semantics issue and that any LTE phone is VoLTE-capable.

Think about it, has Verizon marketed any VoLTE capable phones? If not (which I don't believe they have), then how are there ANY capable phones out there?

The reality is that 3G phones still make up the vast majority of the phones on the market, so VoLTE service just isn't a practical option right now.

Brandon

VoLTE is not on and most likely Verizon won't launch it until the real 28nm all in one Release 9 UE come out which is due Q2 2012. They will support VoLTE out of the box and my guess that's when we'll start seeing global roll outs.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
There's only so many excuses we can come up with as to why the Nexus radio doesn't perform as well as another phone's under certain circumstances. When the results invariably seem to favor another phone's radio, the excuses get a bit old after awhile. Why is it that it's always the Nexus radio we need to find the reason for why it did what it did? Just saying.

Today I was carrying both the Razr and the Nexus around with me today. The Nexus in my left pocket and the Razr in my right pocket. We did different things today, went to the movies yet again and were in different areas.

I just looked at both phone's cell standby stats and found the Nexus was without a signal 3% of the time today (unbeknownst to me) and the Razr showed 0%. So at different times of the day the Nexus had no signal, but I didn't see it. The Razr had no such issue. Now let's not hear anyone saying "but if you switched the Nexus to your right pocket and the Razr to your left, the results would have been reversed. ;)

On the brighter side, the Nexus battery was holding up better than the Razr's and again, when I did look at both phones, the Nexus seemed to have the 4G more often. The bottom line is that it seems the Nexus radio hits the 'reception floor' sooner than the Razr. I noticed this a bit before, over the last few days as I had mentioned, but today seemed like a wider disparity...I just didn't see it happen.

It isn't really an excuse if one phone was on one server and another pinged off a different server. If the phone does not work for you return it and go with the razr or whatever other phone you want. Just because people state something that is very pivotal to a speed test do not jump on them for it. Not to mention I think there is more than just the phone's radio on all lte phones since they all seem to have some kind of network related issue.

Last edited:

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It isn't really an excuse if one phone was on one server and another pinged off a different server. If the phone does not work for you return it and go with the razr or whatever other phone you want. Just because people state something that is very pivotal to a speed test do not jump on them for it.

It was already established by the user that he DID use the same server. Living in NY I know exactly the server he used for his Speed Tests and he verified that. Both phones, same exact server. Again, it seems that no matter what findings that people show that point to the Nexus radio not performing as well as other radios under certain conditions, there is always some rationale that some come up with to try to explain it away.

And again, because some owners of the Nexus admit to and are objective enough to see some of the phone's shortcomings, does that also mean they must exchange the phone? Personally I find it far far better to acknowledge the issues and discuss it rather than hiding it so that we have a better chance of getting these problems fixed. I think all owners, no matter what the phone, should always be pushing to get issues resolved.

The alternative of burying our heads in the sand will never get issues fixed. I love the Nexus, but at the same time acknowledge the issues. IMO there's nothing wrong with that.

To answer your question, the phone does largely 'work for me', but I'd like it to work better.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It was already established by the user that he DID use the same server. Living in NY I know exactly the server he used for his Speed Tests and he verified that. Both phones, same exact server. Again, it seems that no matter what findings that people show that point to the Nexus radio not performing as well as other radios under certain conditions, there is always some rationale that some come up with to try to explain it away.

And again, because some owners of the Nexus admit to and are objective enough to see some of the phone's shortcomings, does that also mean they must exchange the phone? Personally I find it far far better to acknowledge the issues and discuss it rather than hiding it so that we have a better chance of getting these problems fixed. I think all owners, no matter what the phone, should always be pushing to get issues resolved.

The alternative of burying our heads in the sand will never get issues fixed. I love the Nexus, but at the same time acknowledge the issues. IMO there's nothing wrong with that.

To answer your question, the phone does largely 'work for me', but I'd like it to work better.

I wouldn't call it burying anyone's head. You can report the issues to google on their site. Complaining on a site like this isn't going to get anything fixed. Just saying everyone wants it to work better, you just have to spend your time and resources on something that will actually make that happen...

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call it burying anyone's head. You can report the issues to google on their site. Complaining on a site like this isn't going to get anything fixed. Just saying everyone wants it to work better, you just have to spend your time and resources on something that will actually make that happen...

It's not so much complaining, on a site like this, as it is trying to get a general consensus of other user's experiences. A discussion forum is designed for us to discuss the device, positively and negatively. If we all sat here and praised the device, in a "fanboy" manner, then what purpose does it serve?

I came on here to share my experience, hoping that others would chime in, and tell me that they are either, experiencing the same issues, or that I am alone. That will help me decide whether I should exchange my phone, for another Gnex, or hold out for a fix. My reasoning is that, if a vast majority of us all have the same issue, then there is a better chance it will be resolved. If I am alone, then I should exchange asap. Exchanging for a different device is out of the question. This phone is fantastic, aside from the moments that, its lack of connectivity renders it useless. The real beauty of this device is that updates should roll out quickly and frequently, and if issues like this are publicized enough, then there is a greater chance that V/S/G will work to resolve them. I have no doubts that V/S/G have people reading forums like this, taking note of the issues we complain about.

The sad part is that, so many people, without signal issues, are quick to tell the ones "complaining" that we are wrong and should either stop complaining, or get another device. I fear that this will force others, who do share the same poor experience, to remain silent.

At this point, there are too many people "complaining" of data dropouts, and poor speed test results for it all to be in our heads. Honestly, the slower speed tests results don't really matter all that much to me. I am just upset that my signal constantly drops out for a few minutes at a time, then returns, with 3 bars, all while I am in the same place. I post about this to find out if I am alone with this issue, and have a lemon, or if it is common, and should wait for a fix. Posting it on Google's site won't tell me that.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much complaining, on a site like this, as it is trying to get a general consensus of other user's experiences. A discussion forum is designed for us to discuss the device, positively and negatively. If we all sat here and praised the device, in a "fanboy" manner, then what purpose does it serve?

I came on here to share my experience, hoping that others would chime in, and tell me that they are either, experiencing the same issues, or that I am alone. That will help me decide whether I should exchange my phone, for another Gnex, or hold out for a fix. My reasoning is that, if a vast majority of us all have the same issue, then there is a better chance it will be resolved. If I am alone, then I should exchange asap. Exchanging for a different device is out of the question. This phone is fantastic, aside from the moments that, its lack of connectivity renders it useless. The real beauty of this device is that updates should roll out quickly and frequently, and if issues like this are publicized enough, then there is a greater chance that V/S/G will work to resolve them. I have no doubts that V/S/G have people reading forums like this, taking note of the issues we complain about.

The sad part is that, so many people, without signal issues, are quick to tell the ones "complaining" that we are wrong and should either stop complaining, or get another device. I fear that this will force others, who do share the same poor experience, to remain silent.

At this point, there are too many people "complaining" of data dropouts, and poor speed test results for it all to be in our heads. Honestly, the slower speed tests results don't really matter all that much to me. I am just upset that my signal constantly drops out for a few minutes at a time, then returns, with 3 bars, all while I am in the same place. I post about this to find out if I am alone with this issue, and have a lemon, or if it is common, and should wait for a fix. Posting it on Google's site won't tell me that.

You can get a great understanding of people having similar issues by how many comments or stars a issue receives so actually you could....

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

See, I could deal with the slower speeds if my connection was consistent and didn't drop to 3G at first chance. The difference between 20 and 11 down on a device like the nexus isn't that great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can do whatever you would like. i was just saying that it is more likely to have something done by posting it to googles site.

Gotcha. I apologize. I think I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of thread crapping (not necessarily on this forum) against people who have been sharing their issues with this device. I saw a thread over at XDA, where the guy literally started the thread to tell everyone complaining about their issues, to stfu. I mean c'mon, really? Granted, some of the people who claim to have signal issues really don't, and are just not used to the signal bar calibration, of this device. However, many of us are experiencing data dropouts, and slow speed, and there is nothing wrong with sharing that information.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
See, I could deal with the slower speeds if my connection was consistent and didn't drop to 3G at first chance. The difference between 20 and 11 down on a device like the nexus isn't that great.

Honestly, I agree. If data didn't drop out multiple times daily, I wouldn't complain about the slower speeds, because honestly, anything over 10Mbps is way more than I need. I just assumed that the two issues were somehow tied. In my head, a weak radio would have a harder time holding onto signal, and wouldn't be able to download as fast, when it did have signal. I could be wrong, but who knows.

Anyone think it's possible that the data dropouts are a result of faulty SIM cards? I remember, when the Bolt came out, that some people were experiencing intermittent data dropouts, and Verizon techs solved it by swapping out SIMs. I may head to my store tomorrow just to try a replacement SIM card.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I agree. If data didn't drop out multiple times daily, I wouldn't complain about the slower speeds, because honestly, anything over 10Mbps is way more than I need. I just assumed that the two issues were somehow tied. In my head, a weak radio would have a harder time holding onto signal, and wouldn't be able to download as fast, when it did have signal. I could be wrong, but who knows.

Anyone think it's possible that the data dropouts are a result of faulty SIM cards? I remember, when the Bolt came out, that some people were experiencing intermittent data dropouts, and Verizon techs solved it by swapping out SIMs. I may head to my store tomorrow just to try a replacement SIM card.

No. Many users here have tried that, and it didn't work.

B

budmonster

Is it normal to have the same amount of bars in 3G as in 4G? I get 2 bars in 3G and 1-2 in 4G?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with people about the data dropouts, here is the deal though if you are not using the phone you would never realize.

Today I have had about 10-15 dropouts. The problem is not data dropouts, it is how it drops. I am having 2bars of 4g at home and I could have them for an hour, all of the sudden my internet stops working and all bars are gone and the 4g symbol is gone and I will go in to signal info and boom I am at -120dbm and searching for service. Stays there for about ten seconds and I get 4g signal back and I am back to 2 bars and around -100dbm on 4g.

I am kinda disappointed why the phone fluctuates so fricking much sitting in the same location. It never happened with the razr. My phone may be fell back to 3g once a day and most of the time always stayed at 4g and never ever I was out of service or the phone was searching for service.

I love the phone but the way it starts behaving sometimes is just dissappointing. I mean today outside verizon store I had full bars and my phone decided to drop the signal all together and decided to reconnect. I don't know why it is having such a hard time connecting at random and other times it could go for an hour straight of me using it without any drops.