Anandtech - "Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue"

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What? 3G and 4G are two different networks. It is normal for them to show different bars. However, there is a problem with the 4G signal bars being shown.

relax, he asked if it was normal, I get 2 bars on 3g and 2 bars on 4g. I know they are different networks and have known that ever since they launched, I never said they were the same signal strength.

could it not be normal under certain coverage scenarios. It is normal to get same amount of bars, 2 bars of 3g are about -95dbm on 3g and 2 bars of 4g are about -100dbm. I get those all the time, 2 bars on 4g and 3g so yes it is normal.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
relax, he asked if it was normal, I get 2 bars on 3g and 2 bars on 4g. I know they are different networks and have known that ever since they launched, I never said they were the same signal strength.

could it not be normal under certain coverage scenarios. It is normal to get same amount of bars, 2 bars of 3g are about -95dbm on 3g and 2 bars of 4g are about -100dbm. I get those all the time, 2 bars on 4g and 3g so yes it is normal.

Deep Breath.... Deep Breath... ok.. All better now. ;)

ortgalaxy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Being on the edge of 4g at both home and work, I have constant handoff issues. So much so that I have given up on using 4g entirely. If I switch LTE and forgot to turn it off my gnex will inevitably drop data completely.

My theory (not an expert, so maybe more of a wild assed guess), is that the threshold for switching down to 3g is set too high. Also. the gnex is too aggressive in switching over to 3g, and possibly back to 4g. My guess is that in fringe coverage areas, if the gnex would have waited a little longer before attempting to drop to 3g, 4g could have been recovered. Instead, I feel that it may start switching to 3g, only to realize 4g is available again possible cycling between the two until it basically locks itself up.

It may be that either Google (in ICS) or Samsung decreased the tolerences of this phone lower than other phones in an attempt to decrease the delay between switching networks and increase data uptime. This would work fine when moving between areas of absolute coverage (ie moving from 4g to no 4g), but when you are on the fringe of 4g coverage it would cause issues.

ElectroM

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
At home my phone regularly loses data connection. It will have 1 or 2 bars and say 4g, then drop the signal and say looking for service. I have seen it go from 94 dbm to 104 dbm, then go to 96 dbm, then to 120 dbm. I usually have to use my wifi at home to download apps. My old OG Droid would serve as a backup if my DSL went down. The GNex needs the DSL to be usable. I would say my signal at home depends on which way the wind is blowing, except in that case it would probably be less erratic.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
At home my phone regularly loses data connection. It will have 1 or 2 bars and say 4g, then drop the signal and say looking for service. I have seen it go from 94 dbm to 104 dbm, then go to 96 dbm, then to 120 dbm. I usually have to use my wifi at home to download apps. My old OG Droid would serve as a backup if my DSL went down. The GNex needs the DSL to be usable. I would say my signal at home depends on which way the wind is blowing, except in that case it would probably be less erratic.

Same here. Razr that I used to have never dropped 4g. The phone does the same thing with me at home. I could have 4g for hours and than it would start behaving like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call it burying anyone's head. You can report the issues to google on their site. Complaining on a site like this isn't going to get anything fixed. Just saying everyone wants it to work better, you just have to spend your time and resources on something that will actually make that happen...

I disagree. Posts are read on this forum by more entities than you think. Often these posts (when there are enough of them on the same issue) are reported in articles about a given phone's problem or a network issue etc. These reports are then often picked up by the media and then, trust me, the Googles and VZWs of the world become very aware of the issues people are having.

However, how many times have you called a VZW rep to report a problem that you know tons of people are having, only to be told by the rep 'Gee, that's the first time we heard that'.

Never forget that nothing brings action from a large company like lousy PR. So no, I do believe posting here can be very productive. It's just that those that can see no wrong with the Nexus get annoyed when people post their issues. It's actually those people that inhibit quick action on a problem's resolution.

Reactions: jroc

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much complaining, on a site like this, as it is trying to get a general consensus of other user's experiences. A discussion forum is designed for us to discuss the device, positively and negatively. If we all sat here and praised the device, in a "fanboy" manner, then what purpose does it serve?

I came on here to share my experience, hoping that others would chime in, and tell me that they are either, experiencing the same issues, or that I am alone. That will help me decide whether I should exchange my phone, for another Gnex, or hold out for a fix. My reasoning is that, if a vast majority of us all have the same issue, then there is a better chance it will be resolved. If I am alone, then I should exchange asap. Exchanging for a different device is out of the question. This phone is fantastic, aside from the moments that, its lack of connectivity renders it useless. The real beauty of this device is that updates should roll out quickly and frequently, and if issues like this are publicized enough, then there is a greater chance that V/S/G will work to resolve them. I have no doubts that V/S/G have people reading forums like this, taking note of the issues we complain about.

The sad part is that, so many people, without signal issues, are quick to tell the ones "complaining" that we are wrong and should either stop complaining, or get another device. I fear that this will force others, who do share the same poor experience, to remain silent.

At this point, there are too many people "complaining" of data dropouts, and poor speed test results for it all to be in our heads. Honestly, the slower speed tests results don't really matter all that much to me. I am just upset that my signal constantly drops out for a few minutes at a time, then returns, with 3 bars, all while I am in the same place. I post about this to find out if I am alone with this issue, and have a lemon, or if it is common, and should wait for a fix. Posting it on Google's site won't tell me that.

We do think alike! No sooner did I write my response I saw yours. Your comments are so very true.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
See, I could deal with the slower speeds if my connection was consistent and didn't drop to 3G at first chance. The difference between 20 and 11 down on a device like the nexus isn't that great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I'd be OK with the drop to 3G as long as I maintained a data connection. It's the total loss of data that's really annoying.

cosmo36

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried using my Google Navigation for the first time yesterday, and it was totally non-functional, since it was always in a "data conncection lost" state and could never find directions. I'm in a large metropolitan area, but not in the center of a city, and I shouldn't have that problem. As bad as the GPS was on my Fascinate, the data connection issue on this phone is much, much worse.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with people about the data dropouts, here is the deal though if you are not using the phone you would never realize.

Today I have had about 10-15 dropouts. The problem is not data dropouts, it is how it drops. I am having 2bars of 4g at home and I could have them for an hour, all of the sudden my internet stops working and all bars are gone and the 4g symbol is gone and I will go in to signal info and boom I am at -120dbm and searching for service. Stays there for about ten seconds and I get 4g signal back and I am back to 2 bars and around -100dbm on 4g.

I am kinda disappointed why the phone fluctuates so fricking much sitting in the same location. It never happened with the razr. My phone may be fell back to 3g once a day and most of the time always stayed at 4g and never ever I was out of service or the phone was searching for service.

I love the phone but the way it starts behaving sometimes is just dissappointing. I mean today outside verizon store I had full bars and my phone decided to drop the signal all together and decided to reconnect. I don't know why it is having such a hard time connecting at random and other times it could go for an hour straight of me using it without any drops.

Nkd, what's weird is that I currently have both the Razr and the Nexus and the behavior I see comparing the two is different than yours.

The Nexus, once it's got a signal, holds the 4G better in my area. But the Razr suffers from less data drops. I notice the Nexus generally shows about 5% more time without a signal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc