Need more infromation on the docking pins/stations.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Mods: Please put this in the most appropriate forum. I couldn't decide which one fit best.

I'm dying to finish the Palm Touchstone inductive charging mod on this phone. I have the magnets in place and they hold the GN to the Touchstone in my car perfectly but I'm just plugging the USB cable in for power. Not as cool or convenient as inductive charging.

I could inject the power to the pins on the USB port like I did with my Fascinates, but that requires delicate soldering and if I mess up, it's not like I can find an used GN for $100 on Craigslist. A better approach would be to use the 3 charging pins on the side. They are very easily accessed with very little tear down. They offer a large enough surface area that the mod could be done by using conductive copper tape thus eliminating the need for soldering altogether and making the mod completely reversible.

Does anyone know which pin is used to charge the phone and which pin is the ground?

High WAF Inductive Charging Mod for Samsung Galaxy S | www.qianqin.de
Samsung Galaxy Nexus Teardown - iFixit
Samsung? (OEM) Multimedia Desktop Dock For Verizon Samsung GALAXY Nexus SCH-I515,Verizon Google GALAXY Nexus SCH-I515

Last edited:

Ben Myton

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I am also very interested in this information.

I would add that the third link you posted contains a misleading product description.

The landscape dock does not support media output through the 3-pin connection. The only ports on that dock are USB(charging) and Audio-Out. The portrait dock is the one that incorporates HDMI output through the MHL chip attached to the USB port on the bottom end of the phone.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/2k6S4vvKPZh2IsB2.huge
Cracking Open the Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Motherboard - Back | 39 of 64

From a discussion with Bill at Tech Republic, the three square connections on the mobo pictures above are the charging pins, however he is not sure how the three pins function. I am not sure how three pins can provide stereo audio and charging at the same time, but perhaps someone here will know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae