Screen Burn In

daz655321

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has run into this issue yet, but I know that it is fairly common among super amoled screens. I worry that this is something that will happen to my phone as it has already happened to a friend of mine's gnexus device after only 3 days of owning it. That seems ridiculously fast for an image to burn in the screen.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That seems crazy fast for burn in to occur! How long does he keep the GN turned on with the screen up and running? Does he have it set to not turn off or to stay on for very long periods of time?

daz655321

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I know he has the brightness pretty high but he isnt sitting there on the phone for hours on end. It does seem crazy to burn in that fast. I have seen countless samsung phones that use amoled with the wallpaper just there on every screen I have mine to turn the display off after 15 seconds and the brightness isn't maxed out or anything.

It just seems to be a big issue with the display tech used by Samsung in their android phones. It isn't something that fades away like on a plasma. It just is stays there burnt in on every screen.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I set a white background and set the "Stay Awake" option in the developers section. I'll do my best to not allow the screen to go dim.

I'll be the test subject..

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyway to get pics to see it? I've never heard of this issue before.

Here is a pic of burn in on AMOLED,,,,

4731866441_f37348315f.jpg

and a little article from The Verge ...

AMOLED Burn-In Always Overlooked | The Verge Forums

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I had a Samsung Infuse 4G for 6 months, and left it in the desk dock every night, all night long, with the display on and Alarm Clock Plus running. Admittedly, the display was turned down very dark, and Alarm Clock Plus moved the clock around every 15 seconds, but there was never a hint of burn in.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the picture, the clock is almost entirely stuck at "9:36" - burn in doesn't occur like that unless it locked up for several hours or was done intentionally.

Something smells fishy...

Wow, you're right about that! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it and I went back and took another look at the burn in screen. A screen doesn't burn in like that during a one minute time segment. The clock would have been running and the time changing the burn in there would be blurred with several different digits overlaying themselves.

I can't say that something is fishy but this doesn't add up.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm noticing something weird with this phone and it's screen as far as burn in goes. So try this and report back if you see this problem as well. So go to your home screen and play with it for a minute at about 65% brightness so let it sit there for about a minute or two, then go to settings and look at the bottom where your dock icons would be in the blacker areas. For me I can see the icons still burn in but they slowly fade away. I mean that's what they call memory retention I think but that's horrible. The pentile seems to burn in really easy on super amoled screens. Back when I had the Samsung fascinate I went through 7 of Verizon's refurbished because all of them had screen burn in or something else wrong with them but most it was screen burn in. So do you guys see this or should I return it and try another one?

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing something weird with this phone and it's screen as far as burn in goes. So try this and report back if you see this problem as well. So go to your home screen and play with it for a minute at about 65% brightness so let it sit there for about a minute or two, then go to settings and look at the bottom where your dock icons would be in the blacker areas. For me I can see the icons still burn in but they slowly fade away. I mean that's what they call memory retention I think but that's horrible. The pentile seems to burn in really easy on super amoled screens. Back when I had the Samsung fascinate I went through 7 of Verizon's refurbished because all of them had screen burn in or something else wrong with them but most it was screen burn in. So do you guys see this or should I return it and try another one?
I've noticed a little bit of an effect like that in the Market. If I let it open up and sit a moment, then hit a link, the background goes grey but some of the grid is still visible for a bit.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I keep my brightness at 50% and I have the screen shut off after 30 seconds. If this is true, I hope it doesn't happen to my phone.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a little bit of an effect like that in the Market. If I let it open up and sit a moment, then hit a link, the background goes grey but some of the grid is still visible for a bit.

Yeah it seems to be any dark or black areas. Like the amazon app store does it and the market. I think they messed up putting that high of resolution on a screen technology that is outdated like pentile. All amoled screens are subject to burn in. I even turned on a new fascinate back in the day and when it did media scanning the time at the top goes away for a second you could see the time burned into the screen. I know the bottom buttons on this phone are going to have that problem. I think Google and Samsung didn't plan out this phone as much as they should have. I think they rushed it, I mean it is having all sorts of bugs which every phone will have but I guess I expected more from aosp phone instead of one with skins on it. Now I'm starting to think android itself is just buggy. :( Don't get me wrong I still love this phone. To me though the screen tech is just meh I mean I can really see the pentile problems with it.

phone_man

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
My screen does the same. I turned off the phone and charged it. The battery logo burned into the screen. I have also noticed the market issue as well. This seems likea Buf issue.

SHO95#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you're right about that! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it and I went back and took another look at the burn in screen. A screen doesn't burn in like that during a one minute time segment. The clock would have been running and the time changing the burn in there would be blurred with several different digits overlaying themselves.

I can't say that something is fishy but this doesn't add up.

Not if something went bonkers and time froze causing the screen to stay on and burn image happened. Samsung has had issues with this since the Galaxy line came out with burn in image. Check forums and you will see. I personally had this issue with the Fascinate and know for a fact that Samsung will replace it and so will Verizon.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's not unlike owning a plasma TV, panel quality has nothing to do with it. It's just something you need to keep an eye out for.

Just don't crank up the brightness to 3/4 or more, and keep a stagnant image on the display for more than a few minutes and you'll be fine.

Reactions: paul-c

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
My screen does the same. I turned off the phone and charged it. The battery logo burned into the screen. I have also noticed the market issue as well. This seems likea Buf issue.

The phone has been out less than a week and your saying charging at night while off has already burned an image into your screen??....

I'd like to see a pic of that please.

And yes I see the market grid, but like others said, it fades away. FWIW I also see this "ghosting" of the previous image on a high end LCD TV I own. It too just fades away.

Real curious to see how this pans out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze