Wi-Fi Direct: Has anyone experimented with this feature?

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You know, I was thinking about this earlier. I have to explore this later with my laptop, but it would be awesome to be able to transfer files from a PC to the phone over wifi direct, just by changing the PC's access point.

Thanks for the link!

drewman24seven

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I made some blind attemps using Google TV and my logitech revue. It didn't work. I didn't even research if LR was compatable. I'm in need of a god DLNA application.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know what it is, and haven't had time to learn what it is. Therefore, I've left it alone. :(

Noloc0209

Oct 31, 2009
www.Examiner.com
Would love to know what feature this is as well. I was looking around and didn't see anything until that article was posted

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It appears that right now both devices have to support Wifi Direct, unlike what that article says. None of my wifi devices see the Nexus as an access point. And I don't have any other wifi direct devices... So not terribly useful. Maybe if you wanted to transfer a large file between two Nexi? Or a Nexus and a Galaxy SII? Otherwise, its just a nifty idea.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just read this on the 4.0.3 Platform Highlights (as linked to in Jerry H's great "ICS Cuts" critique):
Support for Wi-Fi Direct lets users connect directly to nearby peer devices over Wi-Fi, for more reliable, higher-speed communication. No internet connection or tethering is needed. Through third-party apps, users can connect to compatible devices to take advantage of new features such as instant sharing of files, photos, or other media; streaming video or audio from another device; or connecting to compatible printers or other devices.

Source: Android 4.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

So it appears that this device, unlike the SGSII, only "supports" Wifi Direct, but you need an app to actually use it. Perhaps Samsung cooked such an app into the ROM on the SGSII? That might explain why they are saying the Nexus is the first phone to support it natively (i.e., OS level). Regardless, now we need apps! Calling all devs!

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It appears that right now both devices have to support Wifi Direct, unlike what that article says. None of my wifi devices see the Nexus as an access point.

My guess is that it configures the WiFi as an "AdHoc network". A WiFi network can either be configured in "Infrastructure" mode or "AdHoc" mode. The Infrastructure mode requires an access point to control everything and all traffic is routed through the access point. An AdHoc network has no access point and the devices communicate directly to each other.

When WiFi first came out on computers, you had to choose between the AdHoc or Infrastructure mode when you setup your WiFi device. These days, those settings are hidden and Infrastructure is used by default because that's what 99.9% of the WiFi networks use.

Reactions: jcarson13

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So, in reality, Wi-Fi direct is really just a peer-to-peer local LAN connection, correct? That is, if you wanted to transfer files using Wi-Fi speed, instead of Bluetooth, for example?

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Wifi direct between two galaxy s2's
WIFI Direct On The Samsung Galaxy S2 - YouTube

Wifi direct between gnexus and galaxy s2. Or should i say Non wifi direct. The video is in spanish but you see the problem he is having as well as myself and is probably the reason nobody is having luck getting wifi direct to connect with other devices. I am also getting a lot of fails with bluetooth file sharing (will recognize and sync but fails to transfer)
Galaxy Nexus wifi direct - YouTube

grieshmp

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
If you have a new intel wifi radio in your pc you can download apps that allow you to share pictures and video to your pc. Another intel app allows you to send/recieve calls and texts on your pc.

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this with 2 Galaxy Nexus phones and no go. Both phones did not see any additional network. In addition the WiFi direct check box and accompanying notification icon only stayed on 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The length of time seemed random.

2 Galaxy Nexus Phones:
Both phones with WiFi Direct activated = No connection
1 Phone with WiFi Direct activated = No connection

1 Galaxy Nexus Phone + 1 Laptop:
1 Phone with Wifi Direct activated = No connection seen from either the laptop or phone

1 Galaxy Nexus Phone + 1 Droid Incredible:
GN with WiFi Direct activated = No connection seen with GN
GN with WiFi Direct activated = No connection seen with Droid Incredible

I scanned the available WiFi networks to see if WiFi Direct worked.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just tried this with 2 Galaxy Nexus phones and no go. Both phones did not see any additional network. In addition the WiFi direct check box and accompanying notification icon only stayed on 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The length of time seemed random.

2 Galaxy Nexus Phones:
Both phones with WiFi Direct activated = No connection
1 Phone with WiFi Direct activated = No connection

1 Galaxy Nexus Phone + 1 Laptop:
1 Phone with Wifi Direct activated = No connection seen from either the laptop or phone

1 Galaxy Nexus Phone + 1 Droid Incredible:
GN with WiFi Direct activated = No connection seen with GN
GN with WiFi Direct activated = No connection seen with Droid Incredible

I scanned the available WiFi networks to see if WiFi Direct worked.

All that is present in 4.0 is the API to use Wifi Direct. There are no apps. So just turning it on won't do a thing -- you have to have an app that enables the access point and permits file transfer. I can't believe there isn't one yet, but there isn't. The Galaxy SII has the Kies AIR app, which is why wifi direct works with the GSII but not the GN (natively).

I am not a coder, but I almost feel like I should just make one myself using App Inventor. I would get a lot of use out of it.

Reactions: AirSushi

kirthika

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have tried wifi direct on android 4.0.3 (hcl me tablet).Its not working.I have tried with wifi direct demo code.Once i run the code in eclipse ,it is automatically installating wifi direct in a android device.If i click into p2p on position it goes to the settings --> more ..After am not able to see the wifi direct there...what is the problem.....????? Is this code issue ????

Can anyone help....

Waiting for reply

Regards,
Kirthika

kirthika

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Dear All,
I am trying to enable wifi direct on android 4.0.3 (ICS )device.I am using sample code of wifi direct demo,downloaded from android website.Actually,what i am facing is that, it is wifi direct installed into the device.I am able to see the wifi direct in android device.But if i turn ON p2p on/off position device.It goes to settings->more.Then it is not showing wifi direct option there in "more" option..Why it is happening like this????? Actually what is the problem???? may be sample code is the problem...???

Can anyone help me.....

waiting for reply.....

Regards,
JK

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Still wish this worked. My wife and I transfer a lot of files, its very convenient to not have transfer using a PC first. While the WiFI Direct pairs a GN(4.1.1) JB and GS2(4.0.3) ICS, the file never transfers. So we resort to BT...which is just a slow PITA.

I was hoping an upgrade to the N4 for her might enable it, but I guess there is no indication on that.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Still wish this worked. My wife and I transfer a lot of files, its very convenient to not have transfer using a PC first. While the WiFI Direct pairs a GN(4.1.1) JB and GS2(4.0.3) ICS, the file never transfers. So we resort to BT...which is just a slow PITA.

I was hoping an upgrade to the N4 for her might enable it, but I guess there is no indication on that.

You do know that when transferring with WiFi Direct there is no confirmation or popup on the target device it just sends it to /sdcard/Download. I would bet everything you have tried to send via WiFi direct is sitting in that folder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel