So here's the BIG question

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We all know the Nexus was delayed and we've never been 100% sure why.

We now know that Verizon has just acknowledged a reception problem exists in the Nexus. So with that information, here are my questions:

* How is it that Verizon never saw the reception issue during testing? They have the reputation of testing, testing again, and testing much more before a phone is finally released. THIS eluded them??? So many people are seeing this issue across the country and THIS eluded them? Please tell me how this is possible with a company that has the reputation of being 'anal' about pre-release testing.

* Let's assume they knew the problem existed. Why wasn't it fixed if, as many people 'in the know' are saying, it's software based? OR, do they really know the issue is hardware-based and not much can be done. Perhaps the reception can be 'tweaked' in software, but if it's hardware, VZW knows damn well it won't be fixed. They have no intention of recalling all these phones.

* Let's not put all the blame on VZW, after all Samsung built it in conjunction with Google's input and specs. So how is it that neither of these entities saw the problem. Nobody saw it, nobody?

Am I the only one that thinks this is very very strange. If my logic is flawed, I'd be happy to be set straight on this.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
im pretty positive it is not hardware related. I had a Droid Charge and from my understanding uses the same radio as Nexus and I never once had a problem with my Charge radio after some updates.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had signal issues with all cell phones which eventually did get fixed with patches. My wifes DINC2 showed zero signal bars when home, now it shows full signal. My thunderbolt had LTE issues, that has been resolved. Iphone 4 showed improper signal because AT&T sucks, so that doesn't count.

Hopefully the GNex will get its issues resolved soon. Then again, I don't want it to get resolved because what else are going to grip about. Sucks being human!

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the "reception issues" are overblown.

However, Verizon is having MAJOR issues with its LTE network. They keep having outages.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I blame country music and light beer.... especially when the two are combined.

That my friends, is a recipe for disaster.

*customized tapatalk signature*

PostmanPat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
AnandTech - Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue

read this... there most likely is not a problem... the phone is actually showing lte signal where every other phone is showing cdma signal strength.

^ this is good advice....

I'm not trying to make anyone jealous but the reception on my phone has been great. I've put a custom ROM on it so I get 5 bars where everyone else only gets 4, that's one more, so I must get better reception than everyone else...

Spinal Tap - 11 - YouTube

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
We all know the Nexus was delayed and we've never been 100% sure why.

We now know that Verizon has just acknowledged a reception problem exists in the Nexus. So with that information, here are my questions:

Please show me where Verizon says there is a reception problem. all the fix is going to do is show MORE BARS in the same exact areas that are showing less now. the signal strength is going to stay the same.

why dont people READ. i feel like i get dumber everytime I come to these forums.

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please show me where Verizon says there is a reception problem. all the fix is going to do is show MORE BARS in the same exact areas that are showing less now. the signal strength is going to stay the same.

why dont people READ. i feel like i get dumber everytime I come to these forums.

Something I don't want. As long as my data is working well, and voice is gtg.. I don't give a damn how many bars it shows. In my eye's, all the other phones have a jacked up signal bar issue.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the "reception issues" are overblown.

However, Verizon is having MAJOR issues with its LTE network. They keep having outages.

"Overblown"? Really? There are not too many I'd wish reception problems on with the Nexus like many of us are having, but for you I might make an exception.

Gotta love guys that think everyone else is nuts because they have no issues. Unreal.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
AnandTech - Investigating the Galaxy Nexus LTE Signal Issue

read this... there most likely is not a problem... the phone is actually showing lte signal where every other phone is showing cdma signal strength.

This has been discussed endlessly. The bottom line is that regardless of what that article says about the signal display, the Nexus IS having problems in MANY marginal signal areas where other 4G phones don't.

I frequently go to a mall where the Rezound had zero problems holding on to a 4G signal. My Nexus rarely gets a 4G signal anywhere in that same mall.

Guys, this is a real problem whether those that are not experiencing it want to believe it or not. Hell, I even had a VZW sales guy tell me they are well aware of the issue IN THE STORE. They see it all the time as the Nexus drops 4G and the other 4G phones (even the cheapo $99 4G phone) holds on to it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I frequently go to a mall where the Rezound had zero problems holding on to a 4G signal. My Nexus rarely gets a 4G signal anywhere in that same mall.

Guys, this is a real problem whether those that are not experiencing it want to believe it or not. Hell, I even had a VZW sales guy tell me they are well aware of the issue IN THE STORE. They see it all the time as the Nexus drops 4G and the other 4G phones (even the cheapo $99 4G phone) holds on to it.

thats what im saying, perhaps the other phones are grabbing tail end of 4g signal when they shouldnt be. So despite it having being in the top end of 3g signal it switches to 4g because its available instead of choosing the dominant signal in the area you are in.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

You have no idea what you're talking about. How do you know that's what Verizon is going to do? If they did, it would not change the reception one iota and people will be screaming just as loudly and Verizon will be getting the same negative press they're getting now. That 'trick' is now well known and that dog no longer hunts.

Just so you know, Verizon DID acknowledge the issue and it was WIDELY reported. Man, this thread has some of the most obstinate deniers of this issue I've seen on any forum, on any thread. It's not the signal #s, it's not the bars, IT'S THE NEXUS' INABILITY TO HOLD ON TO A 4G SIGNAL WHERE OTHER PHONES CAN.

Sorry to those that can think clearly for the screaming, but for some people here it's the only way to get through. They read one article and they 'think' there is no issue and they fully understand everything there is to understand about RF.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Something I don't want. As long as my data is working well, and voice is gtg.. I don't give a damn how many bars it shows. In my eye's, all the other phones have a jacked up signal bar issue.

Right, tell that to me who experienced first-hand the Rezound holding on to 4G where the Nexus could not.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-signal-strength-its-not-us-its-you

Its also possible that because the phone reads signal so well it is not switching to LTE when 3g is stronger. Where as other phones are not as accurate and switch to 4g giving the appearence that the nexus is slacking when in fact its just staying on the dominant data signal.

Just saying....

No, my Rezound clearly held on to a very very viable 4G signal where the Nexus couldn't. There is no reason, given the quality of the signal and speed of that signal as shown by the Rezound, that the Nexus should ever have shifted away from 4G. The Rezound blew away my Nexus for speed in those areas because the 4G signal was real, solid and very viable.

If the Nexus switches away from a good 4G signal so easily, then it is flawed and the issue should be addressed. Yes it wasn't the strongest 4G signal that the Rezound was receiving, but the quality was excellent given its behavior. This was not a 'tail end', relatively useless 4G signal, it was still FAR superior to the 3G the Nexus reverted to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon