Galaxy Nexus won't transfer mkv video files???

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The galaxy nexus wont transfer mkv video files.
When I drag the mkv file in, my computer says "Windows explorer has stopped working".
I have tried putting other types of video files (avi, mp4, etc...), they dont have any problems except for the mkv files.

Im using Windows 7, tried on 2 different computers same results...
My phone is rooted and unlocked with ICS 4.0.2.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks,
David

droidify

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I posted a similar thread yesterday. I was unable to transfer photos or create folders on the nexus. Each time I tried I would get a "device has stopped responding" error or the error you mentioned. Apparently this is a common problem and someone suggested to me that I create a folder on my desktop with the content I wanted to copy to the nexus. Then right click on the folder I just created and select send to, then select galaxy nexus. This worked perfectly. Of course you have to have your galaxy nexus plugged in and the windows explorer open. I believe this will work for you too. Hope this helps!

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
i've seen this issue several times...

first, using the native win7 drivers that autoinstalled the first time i connected the phone, it happened only when trying to transfer directly from a network location. copying to a local drive and then to the nexus worked well.

i read about a supposed fix using the updated samsung drivers and/or enabling USB debugging, and in my experience either or both of those changes made the problem happen all the time.

so, i'm back to the original drivers and using my PC as a middleman.

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I posted a similar thread yesterday. I was unable to transfer photos or create folders on the nexus. Each time I tried I would get a "device has stopped responding" error or the error you mentioned. Apparently this is a common problem and someone suggested to me that I create a folder on my desktop with the content I wanted to copy to the nexus. Then right click on the folder I just created and select send to, then select galaxy nexus. This worked perfectly. Of course you have to have your galaxy nexus plugged in and the windows explorer open. I believe this will work for you too. Hope this helps!
I didn't have problems with any creating folders or any other types of files except mkv video files.

So far these methods I've tried do not work:
1. Dragging the mkv file within a folder or direct into the internal storage
2. Changing the name of the file
3. Copy and Paste
4. Right Click "Send to" Galaxy Nexus

All the method come up with the same error, "Windows explorer has stopped working".

I'm wondering could this just be a problem on my phone...

Could someone please try to put a mkv video file on their Galaxy Nexus and see if you get the same error?

Thank you,
David

Last edited by a moderator:

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering could this just be a problem on my phone...

Could someone please try to put a mkv video file on their Galaxy Nexus and see if you get the same error?

Thank you,
David

I don't have a mkv file at my office now, but I will try when I get back home this afternoon.

In the meantime, as a temporary solution, you might want to try using AirDroid to transfer your file, if you are within a private Wifi network.

Also, I remember someone mentioning that if you create a folder in your PC and put your files inside the folder, then right click to 'send' the folder to your GN, it worked better. It is not my first-hand experience, but someone else succeeded with that method.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The galaxy nexus wont transfer mkv video files.
When I drag the mkv file in, my computer says "Windows explorer has stopped working".
I have tried putting other types of video files (avi, mp4, etc...), they dont have any problems except for the mkv files.

Im using Windows 7, tried on 2 different computers same results...
My phone is rooted and unlocked with ICS 4.0.2.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks,
David

are your mkv files larger than 4gb? I was under the impression that it couldn't handle files that big. I was able to transfer a 3gb mkv file earlier

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I just transferred an 11GB MKV to my phone yesterday. I used the right-click, send to Nexus method.

I noticed that with USB debugging enabled on my phone file transfers would be hit or miss and often they would fail. Maybe try to disable USB debugging.

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a mkv file at my office now, but I will try when I get back home this afternoon.

In the meantime, as a temporary solution, you might want to try using AirDroid to transfer your file, if you are within a private Wifi network.

Also, I remember someone mentioning that if you create a folder in your PC and put your files inside the folder, then right click to 'send' the folder to your GN, it worked better. It is not my first-hand experience, but someone else succeeded with that method.
Thank you!

Maybe you can replicate the error when you get back home.

AirDroid does transfer the mkv file, but my internet connection isn't very fast, it took a little while.

I just transferred an 11GB MKV to my phone yesterday. I used the right-click, send to Nexus method.

I noticed that with USB debugging enabled on my phone file transfers would be hit or miss and often they would fail. Maybe try to disable USB debugging.
I tried tuning usb debugging on and off, it didn't help.

I already tried the right click "Send to", didn't work either

Last edited by a moderator:

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried tuning usb debugging on and off, it didn't help.

I already tried the right click "Send to", didn't work either

Let me get back to an old trick, then.

Do you use the OEM USB cable from Samsung? If not, try using it instead of generic USB cable. Some people mentioned that, too.

Also, if you have not rebooted since you got the upgrade, I would recommend rebooting your phone a couple of times, then try. For me, this mysteriously solved the issue. I am still curious how it just disappeared after a reboot, though. :(

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Changing usb cables didn't work.

I'm sure my phone has reboot many times, but did it again... didn't help either.

The only thing that will transfer mkv video files so far is AirDroid.

guts311

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Awesome...with AirDroid, the second I select the MKV to transfer over Wifi, it says failed. Multiple MKVs tried.

Smaller video files work fine.

Now what?

guts311

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My mkv files are 250mb.
I get this error "Windows explorer has stopped working".

Are you using Windows 7?
What error do you get?

When trying to transfer via Windows 7, I get all the same errors as the users above. Then I tried AirDroid which some of them said worked, but it fails for me every time even there. Ridiculous..

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yah its weird... Every other file type will transfer to my Galaxy Nexus.

Only mkv video files won't. Someone should let Google or Samsung know about this.

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Just to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my computers.
I transfers the same mkv file, on the same computer to my old Droid X and it worked... no problem at all

So there is definitely something wrong with the Galaxy Nexus transferring mkv files.

DAV1D

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's another solution besides AirDroid...

Use Zip or RAR with the fastest compressing setting, to put the mkv files you want on your GN.

Then download an app to extract it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC