Gnex Signal Issues at home, Network extender questions?

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
But - on my phone, it still only shows a bar or even less, even when standing right next to the Extender itself.

So it seems to be working, but I would have expected a full 3 to 4 bar signal showing on my phone. Anybody know what's up with this? If it matters, I am on a grandfathered in Alltel plan.

I am having a similar issue - 0-1 bars even a foot away from the extender. That said, the call quality SEEMS better and I haven't been experiencing drops. I'm definitely picking up the extender according to #48.

I do notice that if I go into my mobile network settings (Settings > More... > Mobile networks) and set my network mode to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA, I spike to 4 bars and the signal strength is accordingly stronger in the Status section.

Is it possible that there's an issue in the signal strength detection when I'm on LTE/CDMA? Does #48 giving me a message that I am "Under network extender" indicate that my outgoing call will definitely use the network extender, even if I am indicating 0 bars of reception? I'm not an expert on how the network selection process works for the phone when it has two competing signals to choose between.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am having a similar issue - 0-1 bars even a foot away from the extender. That said, the call quality SEEMS better and I haven't been experiencing drops. I'm definitely picking up the extender according to #48.

I do notice that if I go into my mobile network settings (Settings > More... > Mobile networks) and set my network mode to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA, I spike to 4 bars and the signal strength is accordingly stronger in the Status section.

Is it possible that there's an issue in the signal strength detection when I'm on LTE/CDMA? Does #48 giving me a message that I am "Under network extender" indicate that my outgoing call will definitely use the network extender, even if I am indicating 0 bars of reception? I'm not an expert on how the network selection process works for the phone when it has two competing signals to choose between.

I was wondering the same thing. I did the same thing, selecting CDMA only, and while it wasn't instantaneous, I did eventually go up to 3 to 4 bars of 3G. I switched back to CDMA/LTE and it actually stayed up there for a while. Then it picked up a bar of 4G, and went down again.

So I think there is something different/funky about the Galaxy Nexus's signal indicator. I do recall reading that it's actually the first to show a true 4G signal strength (other phones are actually showing 3G strength).

Bottom line, though, is I think the 3G Network Extender is doing its job. And it seems that it is working better than my original non-3G version.

FWIW.

mrwestphal

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Update;
got my refurbished 3g extender from geeks.com and all works fantastic!
Called Verizon to activate it, took about 10 minutes to lock on gps and connect to there system and I now have full bars all the time almost anywhere in my house including the basement on the other side of the house!
also the same results for my wife's Dinc2.
I know there was concern about geeks.com and refurbished products but as I stated in my last post, I have been buying from them for years now without a single problem and never hesitate and no, I DO NOT work for them just a happy customer. :)

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought i would post an update to my issues. I see others are having similar issues even with the network extender installed. I purchased the Geeks refurb unit and got it just after the first. Hooked it up and have had issues with the signal fluxuating from 1-5 bars (Sometimes 0) when the network extender is 10 feet away. My girlfriends IP4S is always pinned.

Here is a copy of a post i put in another "Connectivity" thread. Anyone have luck remedying these issues?

Im having crazy issue with the signal still. In my house mainly but out an about as well. I love this phone so i've tried alot of things to remedy the issue. I took it upon myself to even go buy a 3g network extender.

To start, without the network extender i had no bars in my basement (Droid 1 always held 1) and 1 bar on the first floor. To compare devices i used my girlfriends Verizon Iphone 4s. That gets 2 bars in the basement, 4 out of 5 on the first floor.

Enter the network extender. I figured being in a basement most of the time it would be a good investment given this phones weaker signal strength overall. But results are mixed. When i first turned it on the signal was pinned on the phone, Granted i was only 10 feet away, but thats what i wanted to see. After playing with the phone for an hour still 10 feet away i noticed the signal was all over the place. 2-3 bars most of the time. Even at 0 bars again for a minute or 2.

Every time i noticed this i would ask my girlfriend to check her iphone. Pinned every time. I still have yet to catch her iphone below full bars immediately around the extender.

Then i went upstairs and thats when more problems started. 1 get 1 bar from the extender most of the time, sometimes 2. But i also get 1 bar from external towers. This must cause the phone to panic on what signal to use because i always drop calls when moving around upstairs. If im still at the dinner table or something the extender usually holds on to the call. But start moving around and its only a matter of time.

Anyone else have issue with this phones signal and have a network extender at home? Like i said before, this phone has been really good otherwise. But if a phone can't make calls properly, what good is it?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have your Gnex set for CDMA only or LTE/CDMA?

I find that putting mine on CDMA only enables the phone to display much higher bars, and battery life is better since it's not constantly looking for a 4G connection, which is weak and sporadic, but sometimes connectable.

Have you had any problems making or receiving, dropping calls, etc.? In other words, does the extender seem to be doing its job (if you ignore the signal strength indicator)?

Finally, have you confirmed that it's connecting to the Extender by dialing #48? That should confirm that you are connected, and you'll hear the 2 little beeps when calls are placed or answered.

Last edited:

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have your Gnex set for CDMA only or LTE/CDMA?

I find that putting mine on CDMA only enables the phone to display much higher bars, and battery life is better since it's not constantly looking for a 4G connection, which is weak and sporadic, but sometimes connectable.

Have you had any problems making or receiving, dropping calls, etc.? In other words, does the extender seem to be doing its job (if you ignore the signal strength indicator)?

Finally, have you confirmed that it's connecting to the Extender by dialing #48? That should confirm that you are connected, and you'll hear the 2 little beeps when calls are placed or answered.

1. I have it in CDMA/LTE all the time. Is there an easy way to switch it off yet? I dont want to be diving into menus all the time.

2. Yes i have. I mentioned this in my original post above. It happens when i move around on the first floor (Extender is in the basement) If i am not moving around it does not happen.

3. Every time it has happened i immediately dial #48, all but once it has told me im on the NE. Maybe 12-15 times total.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of any quick way to switch in or out of LTE. I imagine some widgets will be developed in the near future. For now, I'd just switch to CDMA, and see if it makes any difference in your call reception primarily, what signal strength it shows, etc.

If that doesn't do anything, I'd call Verizon, and explore this with them. Maybe there's something funky with your extender that's preventing it from doing its job. I know you didn't buy from them, but it is a Verizon product, you're on their network, using their phone, etc.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the extender for a few days ant it seems to work well. Having it close enough to a window and being able to access a data port limits you on placement though. I can definitely tell a difference though.

I sent Verizon an e-mail letting them know my situation and they knocked $100 off the price of a new one. I did not call them to activate it though. I just plugged it and it it worked. I need to get into the setting through My Verizon but have not found this part yet.

Silverado121

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Been using my refurb extender for 2 days and made a huge difference. Vz has announced a 4G model coming 2d Qtr 2012.

You really need to activate your extender thru Vz so they have your MAC ID and then you can see your info on Verizon.com. I also had a difficult time finding the right place. Here is the location...you must sign in first and then paste this link.

https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/accountholder/netWorkExtender/NetWorkExtenderSummary.action

If someone has a better link, please post.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
There's an app in the Market called "2G,3G,CDMA widget" that seems to work with ICS. Others I tried had various issues. It doesn't allow super quick toggling between CDMA and LTE since that's not available to developers, but does take a click or two out of the process.

The other thing it does is allow you to turn on an indicator of which network you're using, which may help us diagnose why we're getting such crazy signal strength fluctuations.

For instance, right now the app is showing that I'm on CDMA, #48 says I'm under network extender coverage, but I am getting 0 bars. If I go into the phone status within settings, it shows LTE:14 and -117dBm.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I do similar, this Razr toggle takes you to the mobile setting (unfortunately in 1 click)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wmba.android.toggle4gforrazr

The icon is ugly but I use nova and simple text to make and choose my own icon.

here's my 2nd screen, see the 4G

185dbd5b-b411-986d.jpg

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
After some searching i started using LTE switch. It does not turn anything on and off, just brings you to the setting screen to turn LTE off. Works for now until i can install an actual toggle to turn it on and off.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of picking up an extender from geeks.com and was wondering if I could get some recent feedback from all of those using it with their Nexus. Thanks :D

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Any issues setting it up? Do you leave it on CDMA or CDMA/LTE? Also, how much is call quality improved compared to 1 bar without any extender?

I have my extender in the basement since thats where my signal is terrible. Before the extender i was always at 0-1 bars anywhere in the basement. After the extender i am pinned out anywhere in the basement. Full bars.

Upstairs i have issues though. If i leave the extender (The house) while being on a phone call or go to the far end of the house upstairs I drop the call. Basically the phone can't change from the extender to an actual Verizon tower without ending the call. Not sure if it was the phone, but my girlfriends Iphone does not do it, So i blame it on the radios in the phone.

As far as call quality in the basement, its rock solid. I constantly hold over 60 min calls with no issues or interference. Where before they would drop now and then. I also keep the phone in CDMA only. Mainly for battery reasons, but also because if i'm on the first floor i can get a weak 4g signal. This causes the phone to leave the extender, dropping the call.

Setting it up was a breeze. Plugged it in to my router and then plugged in the unit itself and waited for all the lights to turn from red to blue. It says in the instructions setup can take up to 20 minutes, they are not kidding, so don't flip out if your getting a red light or 2 after 10 minutes. The GPS lock seemed to take the longest. To control it you need to call Verizon and give them the MAC address located on the unit itself. Simple to call it in and setup. Instructions are available online if needed.

Overall i Recommend the extender. Shipping was ok, Unit works fine, For half the price i would say definitely worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have my extender in the basement since thats where my signal is terrible. Before the extender i was always at 0-1 bars anywhere in the basement. After the extender i am pinned out anywhere in the basement. Full bars.

Upstairs i have issues though. If i leave the extender (The house) while being on a phone call or go to the far end of the house upstairs I drop the call. Basically the phone can't change from the extender to an actual Verizon tower without ending the call. Not sure if it was the phone, but my girlfriends Iphone does not do it, So i blame it on the radios in the phone.

As far as call quality in the basement, its rock solid. I constantly hold over 60 min calls with no issues or interference. Where before they would drop now and then. I also keep the phone in CDMA only. Mainly for battery reasons, but also because if i'm on the first floor i can get a weak 4g signal. This causes the phone to leave the extender, dropping the call.

Setting it up was a breeze. Plugged it in to my router and then plugged in the unit itself and waited for all the lights to turn from red to blue. It says in the instructions setup can take up to 20 minutes, they are not kidding, so don't flip out if your getting a red light or 2 after 10 minutes. The GPS lock seemed to take the longest. To control it you need to call Verizon and give them the MAC address located on the unit itself. Simple to call it in and setup. Instructions are available online if needed.

Overall i Recommend the extender. Shipping was ok, Unit works fine, For half the price i would say definitely worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!!! So basically plug it in, wait, call Verizon and have them set it up on their end, and boom 5 bars? Sounds too good to be true. Anyway, I ordered mine from geeks.com. $120 for refurbished not too bad. I can't see spending $249 on that thing new when I am sure a refurbished one works just as well.

If on CDMA/LTE does it not play nice? Keeping it on CDMA is not an issue for me as at home, I have 1 bar of 3G and 1 bar of 4G. Calls with 1 bar for the most part sound fine which makes me believe the phone doesn't display the best signal. The tower is literally behind my work building and it flucuates between 3-4 bars outside. You would think it wouldn't go under 4.

Look very forward to the next update. Hopefully they are thoroughly testing it for a release later this month.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!!! So basically plug it in, wait, call Verizon and have them set it up on their end, and boom 5 bars? Sounds too good to be true. Anyway, I ordered mine from geeks.com. $120 for refurbished not too bad. I can't see spending $249 on that thing new when I am sure a refurbished one works just as well.

If on CDMA/LTE does it not play nice? Keeping it on CDMA is not an issue for me as at home, I have 1 bar of 3G and 1 bar of 4G. Calls with 1 bar for the most part sound fine which makes me believe the phone doesn't display the best signal. The tower is literally behind my work building and it flucuates between 3-4 bars outside. You would think it wouldn't go under 4.

Look very forward to the next update. Hopefully they are thoroughly testing it for a release later this month.

You don't NEED to call it in to set it up initally. But its recommended it will allow you to do more with the extender. Like lock it down and only allow certain numbers to connect to it. If you live in house or apartment close to neighbors that also have Verizon, without locking it down to only certain numbers, other people can connect and use the extender as well. If more then 7 people connect to it (Rare but possible) you wont be able to connect to it on 3G until a slot opens up. Kind of a pain.

So initial setup is really plug and play. Plug it into wired internet, Plug it in. Wait for lights to go blue. Instant signal boost.
You can keep the phone on LTE/CDMA, but like i said, it causes the phone to switch to weak 4g signals whenever it can. Unless your always gonna be near the extender this could cause issues. Easier just to keep it on CDMA only in my opinion, but not required, just see what works best for you.

I also agree about the phone holding calls with a low signal. 0-1 bars in the basement i was still holding calls, but sometimes when moving around the house they would drop. Maybe 1 out of ever 15 calls. Not BAD, but the extender was priced right in this case and eliminates any possibility of a dropped call for the most part. Have not dropped a call in the basement since i set it up. Definitely over 100 calls, ranging from 5-90 minutes.

Should do the job. Let me know what you think.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You don't NEED to call it in to set it up initally. But its recommended it will allow you to do more with the extender. Like lock it down and only allow certain numbers to connect to it. If you live in house or apartment close to neighbors that also have Verizon, without locking it down to only certain numbers, other people can connect and use the extender as well. If more then 7 people connect to it (Rare but possible) you wont be able to connect to it on 3G until a slot opens up. Kind of a pain.

So initial setup is really plug and play. Plug it into wired internet, Plug it in. Wait for lights to go blue. Instant signal boost.
You can keep the phone on LTE/CDMA, but like i said, it causes the phone to switch to weak 4g signals whenever it can. Unless your always gonna be near the extender this could cause issues. Easier just to keep it on CDMA only in my opinion, but not required, just see what works best for you.

I also agree about the phone holding calls with a low signal. 0-1 bars in the basement i was still holding calls, but sometimes when moving around the house they would drop. Maybe 1 out of ever 15 calls. Not BAD, but the extender was priced right in this case and eliminates any possibility of a dropped call for the most part. Have not dropped a call in the basement since i set it up. Definitely over 100 calls, ranging from 5-90 minutes.

Should do the job. Let me know what you think.

Oh ok. So you have to call Verizon in order to manage the extender? I kind of thought that could be done online? Would rather just myself and my family user the extender, so I'll want to make it work with our numbers only. Couldn't manage that online?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok. So you have to call Verizon in order to manage the extender? I kind of thought that could be done online? Would rather just myself and my family user the extender, so I'll want to make it work with our numbers only. Couldn't manage that online?

Yeah, you do manage it online, but you access it on the "My Verizon" website. To register the extender with Verizon to make this possible you have to call them and give them the MAC address on the bottom of the unit. Doing this should give you full control.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon