Best Buy DID think it was going to be called the Nexus Prime!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy has a house-brand line of accessories, called Rocketfish, and here is their hard case for the Nexus:

IMG_20111222_123234.jpg

EDIT: and, yes, I knew that we already knew that they thought this, I am just posting an amusing photo of them having to live with their mistake! :0)

Last edited:

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
No, the point is that they went so far as to create PRODUCTS based on that name. Jeesh, I thought I would just pass along a funny photo of them having to live with their mistake, showing right on their store shelves and what I get is "um, knew that." Lighten up, guys!

fminusfminus

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
No, the point is that they went so far as to create PRODUCTS based on that name. Jeesh, I thought I would just pass along a funny photo of them having to live with their mistake, showing right on their store shelves and what I get is "um, knew that." Lighten up, guys!
Yep a lot of people here are asses. I'm surprised you didn't get a "cool story bro" response. Thx for sharing!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats because it WAS. Anyone actually look at the system image files for the Nexus? Some of them still have the leftover Prime tag in their name.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
My guess is they couldn't get the rights to call it Prime. Hasbro is sueing Asus because of their tablet's name. I'm thinking Samsung wasn't interested in paying for naming rights.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you are right voghan, I think they would have used it if they thought they could get away with it. It is imperative that every Android phone have as many words in the name as possible, and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is just too short!! :0)

What frustrates me going into either Best Buy or the Verizon store is realizing almost immediately that we know a LOT more about their products than they do. One of the Verizon reps at the corporate store said she thought the Nexus might be the best "Droid phone". *sigh*

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Well, in all fairness, everyone that frequents the forums knew it already so its not really funny. That and some people thought that a name change was why it was delayed, so its even less funny for them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Nexus Prime was just asking for a Hasbro lawsuit... We were all posting images of an optimus prime looking Android toon... Asus may get away with their Transformer Prime though because there is no way a 7 year old kid asking for a transformer called prime is getting a $500 tablet by accident due to name infringement...

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, in all fairness, everyone that frequents the forums knew it already so its not really funny. That and some people thought that a name change was why it was delayed, so its even less funny for them.

No, it was not that they got the name wrong which is necessarily funny, but the fact that they produced products based on that name, and now have to put those products on the shelves with the wrong name. And, yes, I know that is very likely the name they were given, but they are the ones left dealing with any confusion.

Mathmatikus

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
No, it was not that they got the name wrong which is necessarily funny, but the fact that they produced products based on that name, and now have to put those products on the shelves with the wrong name. And, yes, I know that is very likely the name they were given, but they are the ones left dealing with any confusion.

The bestbuy near me where I bought the phone has eliminated confusion while still making themselves look good, they are still calling the phone Nexus Prime, the accessories are for the Nexus Prime.

When I called about the galaxy nexus they corrected me with "Oh yes, you mean the galaxy nexus Prime". Well played bestbuy...