can someone explain the signal strength?

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I see ppl saying stuff like "my signal strength is -75 dBm" etc ... but what's that supposed to mean? What's good and what's not?

Sorry I'm new to this whole Android experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
i can't really explain it right now...
but i think you can find it by going into your settings, then about phone, ...
and the lower the number, the better...

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
i can't really explain it right now...
but i think you can find it by going into your settings, then about phone, ...
and the lower the number, the better...

Technically, the higher the number the better. Virtually everybody says the lower the number the better. But -80 is technically higher than -100.

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah kinda confusing because I see ppl mention a number all the time. So I suppose -75 is good (on 3G)

iclickjohn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
dBm is the signal level of the data that is coming in from Verizon. I'm no expert on it but I don't think it has anything to do with voice signal, other than perhaps a parallel correlation. The range is from around -60 to around -120. The lower the number the better the signal. For instance, mine was consistently between 100 and 120. You can find the dBm reading by going to settings/about phone/status. For accuracy, hold the phone normal and in the same area for around 30 seconds. When I was driving around to test my signal, I drove slower and stopped now and then to let the signal catch up.
As you can see below, I am now back on my X. I will repurchase the Nexus after I am guaranteed most of the issues are fixed or improved. A 2 year contract is a long time, if we happen to be wrong and they are not addressed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
dBm is the signal level of the data that is coming in from Verizon. I'm no expert on it but I don't think it has anything to do with voice signal, other than perhaps a parallel correlation. The range is from around -60 to around -120. The lower the number the better the signal. For instance, mine was consistently between 100 and 120. You can find the dBm reading by going to settings/about phone/status. For accuracy, hold the phone normal and in the same area for around 30 seconds. When I was driving around to test my signal, I drove slower and stopped now and then to let the signal catch up.
As you can see below, I am now back on my X. I will repurchase the Nexus after I am guaranteed most of the issues are fixed or improved. A 2 year contract is a long time, if we happen to be wrong and they are not addressed.

Do you think the problem with the reception is a hardware issue like the iPhone 4 death grip or do you think it can be fixed via software update?

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the problem with the reception is a hardware issue like the iPhone 4 death grip or do you think it can be fixed via software update?

With that question, I am going to duck and run.

If I were you, I would do a search in in this forum section. You will find hundreds of threads on that question you asked. The bottom line, nobody knows.

Reactions: NY Jets_6

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't have any reception problems on LTE. The signal it gets is the same as with all the other LTE handsets. It may have issues on 3G though.

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
On my Rezound, I get 4G in the entire house, even basement. My Gnex cant find 4G in most of my house, and cycles in and out of 3G/4G when it does pick up a 4G signal.

Can anyone explain that?

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
On my Rezound, I get 4G in the entire house, even basement. My Gnex cant find 4G in most of my house, and cycles in and out of 3G/4G when it does pick up a 4G signal.

Can anyone explain that?

Go to settings-about phone-signal strength and look at your dBm numbers on both phones The reason why the GN isn't locking onto the 4g network is due to poor signal strength. Typically you need -90 and lower to lock onto 4g and it be true 4g

I'm right on the edge of my 4g netwoek although verizon says I'm covered up with it, right now looking at my Rezound I'm on the 4g network with a signal strenght of -92 dBm the GN I had sitting in same location never got under -110 dBm and wouldn't ever lock onto a 3g signal.

James

iclickjohn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Cripes.... just how fast do you drive??? ;)

Hahaha that made my day. I do drive fast. But because I don't know how the technology works, I was just putting caution on the side of error. I wasn't sure how long the phone's dBm indication took to update. But since it was almost constant at -120, I guess it didn't matter.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings-about phone-signal strength and look at your dBm numbers on both phones The reason why the GN isn't locking onto the 4g network is due to poor signal strength. Typically you need -90 and lower to lock onto 4g and it be true 4g

I'm right on the edge of my 4g netwoek although verizon says I'm covered up with it, right now looking at my Rezound I'm on the 4g network with a signal strenght of -92 dBm the GN I had sitting in same location never got under -110 dBm and wouldn't ever lock onto a 3g signal.

James

That's not true. You can have full 4g with full speeds on -108 dBm. It's only when it goes over -120 that you have issues.

Btw, that dBm number from the rezound is for 1x, not LTE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk