Bug? Set Contact Image from Facebook

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Can someone try this for me. Go to a contact record that does not have an image or for whose image you want to change (or test). The go find them on facebook using the facebook app and find their picture. If you select the picture on the VGN, you have an option to "set picture". I do it. I save it. It does not show the picture for the contact.

I am thinking this is a bug. If so, I hope it is fixed because the ability to go out on facebook and select an image for your contact is a great feature and it looks like this is what you should be able to do but it doesnt work.

Bsigg12

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Right now with the Android operating system, you can't use Facebook for contacts. Facebook and Android are not playing nice together in the API department since 2.3 I believe it was. There are 3rd party apps you can use but right now, by yourself, you can't do it.

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Facebook does not sync with the galaxy nexus, you can use friendcaster instead of the default Facebook app, or use haxsync which is .99 in the market. Both of those apps will sync pictures with your contact. I prefer haxsync as the pictures are better resolution than friend caster. Also search the forum there have been a couple other threads on this that might give you different options or insight

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Right... but.... is it really an API here? All the phone is really doing is copying and pasting an image from another App. In other words, you go to an image in facebook and "set image" to a specific contact, it 'copies it' and assigns it to a contact record you select. Thats supposed to be a feature in ICS or why give the user the option?.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Also, in haxsync, i dont want all my facebook friends being 'imported' into my contacts folder. i just want to to populate some images of existing contacts that might happen to be on facebook. Also, would i have the ability to select which image from a facebook friend or am I stuck importing their cirrent profile pix?

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I played with this more. What is happening is that I am syncing with Exchange Server for contacts. I was trying to set a contact picture via the method I originally described but I guess it cant do that for exchange server contacts. For some reason, it DOES work for twitter contacts. wtf. ok whatever Ill draft up a plan B or use that program.o

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried setting it up on the computer? They should be updated on the phone correct? I haven't tried this but it seems like it would work for what you're trying to do

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Great call. I am trying the Outlook Social Connector but so far no luck - I cant even get that to update the images for my contacts in Outlook. So thats ANOTHER issue and thanks for doubling my work to fix this crap!!!!! (j/k)

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Just do this:

1.)Go to the Facebook app.

2.)Find the friends' picture you want to set as the contact image.

3.)Hit the option/settings button on the far right.

4.)Hit "Set as" and then "Contact photo".

5.)???

6.)Profit.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just do this:

1.)Go to the Facebook app.

2.)Find the friends' picture you want to set as the contact image.

3.)Hit the option/settings button on the far right.

4.)Hit "Set as" and then "Contact photo".

5.)???

6.)Profit.

It worked for me just fine. At the same time, I will wait for the 4.0.3 update to do this. Its too much work just to have a Facebook contact in my phone. This would be especially too much work for someone that has tons of contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34