Galaxy Nexus Updates Coming From Verizon?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I came across the following on Wikipedia. Is this true? If so, does it mean that we will be forced into rooting our phones and adding our own updates, especially given the ridiculous delays VZW creates with thing like that?

The Verizon version also comes with two pre-loaded apps[83][84] and is also not directly updated by Google.[85] The program "GN Official Update Checker", available on the Android Market[86] can be used to detect if a phone is using a build of Android controlled by Google, therefore knowing if updates are coming from Google.[85][87] Nevertheless, all Galaxy Nexus phones can be flashed with a Google-controlled version of Android, [88][89] codenamed "yakju"[90][91] or "mysid".[92] [93]

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is that when people say 'updates will come from Google', they seem to mean ALL updates. We've already seen that issues involving signal displays etc. may indeed come from VZW and not Google.

So the question is which updates will come from who? I don't think anyone knows for sure despite what some are saying.

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I ran the "Update Checker" on my Verizon Nexus, and it said it was the mysid version & the updates come from Google. (And I haven't done anything to the phone).

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
So I came across the following on Wikipedia. Is this true? If so, does it mean that we will be forced into rooting our phones and adding our own updates, especially given the ridiculous delays VZW creates with thing like that?

The updates come from Google and are tested and approved by Verizon. Remember that the VZW Nexus got 4.0.2 before the sim version. This will be the biggest selling Nexus in America, Google will see that this phone gets attention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The updates come from Google and are tested and approved by Verizon. Remember that the VZW Nexus got 4.0.2 before the sim version. This will be the biggest selling Nexus in America, Google will see that this phone gets attention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I hope so.