Do you really experience signal issue with your GN?

Do you own a GN, and experience the signal issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing so many people here talking about signal strength issue, data connectivity issue, etc of Galaxy Nexus. However, I only see the same people keep posting the same complaint over and over and over and over again!!!! Where are others? Are they really ok with their GNs? Or are they simply too lazy to complain on this forum?

I'd like to do a poll about how many of us REALLY are feeling this signal issue of GN. If you do (or don't) feel you are experiencing it, please don't hesitate to click on the poll. Don't you want to see how many percentage of the actual users seem to experience this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Premium1

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing so many people here talking about signal strength issue, data connectivity issue, etc of Galaxy Nexus. However, I only see the same people keep posting the same complaint over and over and over and over again!!!! Where are others? Are they really ok with their GNs? Or are they simply too lazy to complain on this forum?

I'd like to do a poll about how many of us REALLY are feeling this signal issue of GN. If you don't feel you are experiencing it, please don't hesitate to click on the poll. Don't you want to see how many percentage of the actual users seem to experience this issue?

Because those few complainers threads get pushed to the bottom so they just continue posting the same thing over and over again making it look like more people are having issues than really are. Not to mention most that have the phone have no issues and will not post on forums like these, it is only the ones with issues that post making it look like "everyone" has issues.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
it also seems everyone's big stink is with the signal bars...really?.....the bars tell nothing of actual data. if your on an edge of a 4g zone, of course your gonna bounce between the radio's, best thing, switch to 3g. i've had full bars with -83dbm and had 1 bar at the same dbm, to me, the bars mean nothing.

Reactions: Tom S.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
it also seems everyone's big stink is with the signal bars...really?.....the bars tell nothing of actual data. if your on an edge of a 4g zone, of course your gonna bounce between the radio's, best thing, switch to 3g. i've had full bars with -83dbm and had 1 bar at the same dbm, to me, the bars mean nothing.

It is just because most are to lazy or ignorant to understand the bars much of the time are an inflated signal shower like on the charge and if you want a true reading you need to use the dbm reading. But until they put something like that as an indicator rather than bars people will think higher bars mean better signal which is not always the case.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Rather than vaguely complaining that "My signal is poor in my house!!!" or "Why am I getting the slow speedtest.net result?", it is absolutely the better idea to pinpoint the trouble and deliver the message about it to VZW, Google, or Samsung. That's what the electronics user forum is supposed to do, IMO.

However, since the day one of GN sales, too many people in this and other forums have been mislead to focus on the wrong issues. First, number of bars. Second, signal strength display on the setting. Third, speedtest.net result. We now recognized that the first and the second doesn't really matter. How about the third? Do the speedtest.net results really matter? I would say yes and no.

Speedtest.net results, IMHO, have too many variables. You will see them when you repeatedly do the testings over time. On the same server, the same location, the same phone will show you highly variable results. On the same server, the same location, the same time, the same model phones also will show completely different numbers (my three GNs in my home did)!!! When I do the speedtest.net, I only trust the number when I do more than hundred tests over an hour period and average them. One, three, five, or even ten tests barely means nothing.

Many articles, posts, and thread which have shown up on the forum so far tell me that some (or all?) GNs are experiencing too early hand-offs as well as too delayed authentication when hand-off happens. This definitely could be a trouble maker for some GN users especially when they are at fringe areas. My current use is mainly focused on testing that part. Well, I may be right, or wrong. However, either right or wrong, I honestly believe that my focusing on pinpointing the trouble with my best knowledge will be the best choice to do, since it may help VZW (or Google or Samsung) make my GN a little better to utilize.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Speaking for myself I had real issues with signal on the GN I live in a area that's not got strong 4g coverage and inside my plant doesn't either. Yet with tests performed for Verizon engineers for over an hr driving to different areas in and out of 4g coverage the GN showed issues with radio signal and was confirmed by the engineer I was working with. My Rezound has 4g service in areas the GN wouldn't pull in 3g
I bet those whom dont see issues live in a highly saturated 4g market area. Thing is those are same ones who claim over and over they have no issues just like those who do have issues.

sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Reactions: nj1266 and jroc

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
No issues here. 4g is just outside my area so I'm set to 3g only for now. I do notice my signal icon disappears sometimes but I still call out and can receive calls. Not a dropped call since launch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Does this answer your question?

A typical symptom of the hand-off / authentication problem here. It looks like the hand-off of the radio occured, but it was not reauthenticated, thus causing the complete disconnection of the network.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I experience dropped calls every day.
People on the other end can hear clicking noises and static but not my voice. I hear them clearly.
After hanging up and re-establishing a call things are fine.
Average is twice a day for me.
I also notice a fair amount of 4g fluctuation in terms of bars while in the same location.

Being in a large metropolitan city (Minneapolis) I pretty much get 4g service all the time.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The real issue I'm having is that my device loses all data connectivity, for a few minutes, multiple times a day. 3G gone. 4G gone. No data and no signal bars. Then it comes back just fine. I could care less about bars, but when this happens, I can't browse the web, send a text, or make a call. That has NEVER happened in the ten years I was with Verizon. Not even with my day one Thunderbolt.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh, we have excellent 4G LTE coverage in my area (outside Denver).

During this 4 hours of period, you must have seen the signal bars remaining completely 'DARK GREY'. This is not the case you are experiencing weak signal. You just lost the connection to the tower and the phone is not trying to restore it!!! (Of course it won't work for 100% of people on the forum but) Many of you who are seeing this complete 'DARK GREY' bar may be able to restore your connection back by simply turning off and back on the radio. This can be done by putting your phone to the airplane mode and deactivate it just a few secs later.

Of course, this should have not happened at all. However, it somehow seems to be happening to GNs at this time. Even my GN experienced this a couple of times. I turned off and back on the radio, then the signal and data connection came back immediately!!!

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i'm just on the outside of a 4g area, so i stay on 3g unless i go into the area. but even then, i lock on the signal before my bolt did, and keep it for longer when leaving the area. never dropped a call yet and the hand off seems flawless. i'm just lucky i guess. after the problems i had with the bolt (bought on launch day), i was hoping i woud luck out...lol...

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
During this 4 hours of period, you must have seen the signal bars remaining completely 'DARK GREY'. This is not the case you are experiencing weak signal. You just lost the connection to the tower and the phone is not trying to restore it!!! (Of course it won't work for 100% of people on the forum but) Many of you who are seeing this complete 'DARK GREY' bar may be able to restore your connection back by simply turning off and back on the radio. This can be done by putting your phone to the airplane mode and deactivate it just a few secs later.

Of course, this should have not happened at all. However, it somehow seems to be happening to GNs at this time. Even my GN experienced this a couple of times. I turned off and back on the radio, then the signal and data connection came back immediately!!!

Sounds like my problem as well. I will feel much better about my device if many others are experiencing the same.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I experience dropped calls every day.
People on the other end can hear clicking noises and static but not my voice. I hear them clearly.
After hanging up and re-establishing a call things are fine.
Average is twice a day for me.

I had the clicking/other end of the call can't hear me issue yesterday as well. Usually, I *just* have problems with the call dropping.

During this 4 hours of period, you must have seen the signal bars remaining completely 'DARK GREY'. This is not the case you are experiencing weak signal. You just lost the connection to the tower and the phone is not trying to restore it!!! (Of cuourse it won't work for 100% of people on the forum but) Many of you who are seeing this complete 'DARK GREY' bar may be able to restore your connection back by simply turning off and back on the radio. This can be done by putting your phone to the airplane mode and deactivate it just a few secs later.

This is a daily occurrence for me, and yes the signal indicator is completely gray. The problem of course, is there is no way to know it happens if you're not actively using your phone. For me it usually goes undetected until I'm on wifi and get a GV text or voice mail, "WHERE ARE YOU!?!" or "WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING YOUR PHONE?!?" Also, once it happens going into airplane mode is a death sentence. Only way to get out is power cycle.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Well, when you have to do this continuously in order to have a usable device, it's a much bigger issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the clicking/other end of the call can't hear me issue yesterday as well. Usually, I *just* have problems with the call dropping.

This is a daily occurrence for me, and yes the signal indicator is completely gray. The problem of course, is there is no way to know it happens if you're not actively using your phone. For me it usually goes undetected until I'm on wifi and get a GV text or voice mail, "WHERE ARE YOU!?!" or "WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING YOUR PHONE?!?" Also, once it happens going into airplane mode is a death sentence. Only way to get out is power cycle.

Just out of curiosity, you don't happen to use some battery saving app or taks killer app?

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The real issue I'm having is that my device loses all data connectivity, for a few minutes, multiple times a day. 3G gone. 4G gone. No data and no signal bars. Then it comes back just fine. I could care less about bars, but when this happens, I can't browse the web, send a text, or make a call. That has NEVER happened in the ten years I was with Verizon. Not even with my day one Thunderbolt.

Ditto. My data issues are real. And when I have low data connectivity my phone goes to . I'm going to wait patiently for Google to fix. I always have my ReZound if worse comes to worse. :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz