Unable to see folder contents in Media Device MTP Mode

stompit

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Help! I need to get my photos off my Nexus.

I'm connected to my Windows XP PC as a Media Device on the Nexus. When opening the "Galaxy" from My Computer, I see the full listing of folders in the root directory, however, all of the folders as displayed as being empty.

Any ideas on why its displaying this way?

Thanks

Reactions: charlescam25

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
When you plug your phone in, drag down the notification bar and select ptp. The computer will take you to a wizard and it will scan for your photos and walk you through something to save them to your computer. I'm having the same problem with jot being able to see contents of folders in MTP and it's driving me crazy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ace8707

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Quick question - are you using the usb cable that came with your gnex? Or a different one?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're running XP, make sure Windows Media Player is up to date. Apparently the necessary MTP support is bundled with WMP on XP.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've been using MTP. I have seen it completely blank when my phone's screen is off and phone locked, unlocking it fixed it

I have seen it completely blank (and partially populated) and when a refresh doesn't fix I disconnect and reconnect USB cable, not sure if phone or Windows at fault.

Bye,
Dennis

nicenewtoy

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem and got round it.

The solution here was to recognise what had happened.

It worked fine first time simply reading the Galaxy as a mass storage device - plugged it in and a picture icon of some sort of external external drive turned up. Clicking on the icon and saving MP3s into the music folder worked.

Next time it didn't work - there was no external drive icon and the folders in the now 'audio device' were all empty. This next time, however, I had opened Windows Media Player when it was plugged in. It was the only thing I had done differently.

The version of Media Player was old so I updated to Media Player 11 (Ithink there is a 12 about now) and it recognised the galaxy as a mass storage device again!

Happy days. Now just simply saving MP3s into the music folder works just fine - no need to use libraries of music - just transfer the MP3s manually. It transfers MP4s and keeps the tag information and album art. Very nice.

Hope that this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18