Does anyone have a 'Legend' that IDs all the colors? I've seen:

Black
Gray
Dull Yellow
Brighter Yellow
Green
Red

Be nice to know, ya know?

I was thinking the same thing. Thus far I can not find anything that indicates a proper legend for each color.

My guess is that once we know what these stand for we will have a better understanding as to what is really happening.

haastyle

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: I Have a Request for Those of You Without Signal Issues

I am rooted and I am running the newer radios, plus android revolution hd 2.1.2....here are some shots. I can't seem to hold a signal, I get "no network connection" messages all the time when trying to send a text or look for apps in the market. Same thing happened to me before I rooted and put the new radios, this is why I did it.

Extended Battery (wiped battery stats this morning)
Autobrightness
4g on
no wifi
no gps
Leaked Radios ek06/ek04
Android Revolution HD 2.1.2 LTE

In DC at the moment, other people have full 4g all day long at work.

R5uGL.png

dUsog.png

gdtD6.png

Last edited:

ajtmcse

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Rochester, NY - near downtown - Consistently solid 3G and 4G - When home spend most of my time on WiFi

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Bright yellow appears to be the worst, before red. Im in one office all day today, that has pretty much no signal. My phone says -120 dbm, but I can still make a call and text. I have 3G but no bars. For the entire time I have been here, I got bright yellow on my signal bar.

Before that, I was in another office and had 3G with one signal bar. My mobile network signal bar was grey for that entire time. I should note that my phone is switched to CDMA only, right now.

Based on today's findings, I interpret the colors as:

Green - Strong Signal
Grey - Medium to Strong
Light Yellow - Medium
Bright Yellow - Low signal
Red - No signal

LangHoo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

No issues with phone. If you are in a weak signal area you will have a crappy connection. Just like every other phone. The imagination is a powerful deceiver.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

No issues with phone. If you are in a weak signal area you will have a crappy connection. Just like every other phone. The imagination is a powerful deceiver.

Hmm. Shame on my imagination for deceiving me into thinking that the heart of New York City, and its surrounding suburbs, should be great reception areas ;)

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Just confirmed with a call to VZW, 4G phones can't receive or send data, yet my phone is now saying I have a -83 dBms signal when I can't get on the Internet but I can make calls. What does the -83dBM mean, the CDMA signal?

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Just confirmed with a call to VZW, 4G phones can't receive or send data, yet my phone is now saying I have a -93 dBms signal when I can't get on the Internet but I can make calls. What does the -93dBM mean, the CDMA signal?

Mine showed the same, but had no symbol next to the signal bar, indicating what G I was on. Restarts didn't help. I switched it to 3G, manually and have been getting great 3G service since. I did notice that it shows it being connected to EVDo Rev A. as opposed to eHPRD, or whatever.

Try forcing 3G and see if data comes back.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Try forcing 3G and see if data comes back.
That worked, thanks. This is looking more and more like an authentication issue. So what it seems is happening is that my phone could detect a -83dBm 3G signal but it wasn't able to transmit/receive 3G data even though it could sense that there was a 3G signal there.

I had my phone set so that the preferred signal was the 4G LTE and I confirmed with VZW that 4G is down in my area right now. I changed the preferred signal to CDMA and now I can get on the internet using 3G.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

That worked, thanks. This is looking more and more like an authentication issue. So what it seems is happening is that my phone could detect a -83dBm 3G signal but it wasn't able to transmit/receive 3G data even though it could sense that there was a 3G signal there.

I had my phone set so that the preferred signal was the 4G LTE and I confirmed with VZW that 4G is down in my area right now. I changed the preferred signal to CDMA and now I can get on the internet using 3G.

Go to the screen that tells you your dbm. Does it say you are connected to EVDo Rev A now?

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Right before I leave...

3 Red lines = 3 signal drop outs. I don't know if you were travelling through dead zones, or your phone randomly dropped service, like many others. I'm just pointing it out to you.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

3 Red lines = 3 signal drop outs. I don't know if you were travelling through dead zones, or your phone randomly dropped service, like many others. I'm just pointing it out to you.

That was still in my work building. I barely get reception to even make a call.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

So the fact that some folks have used 2 different phone from 2 different manufactures on the same carrier and one performed better than the other...is imagination....

Just like all 3DTV's dont perform the same...some are better at it than others....

All PC monitors dont perform the same.....some have better off center viewing...

Just like some HDTV do things better than others....some have better sounds, better colors, better viewing angles, etc.

Some phones do actually perform differently than others with phone reception in bad reception areas. If thats the case with the G Nex...it is what it is, thats all. Just like some phones speakers are louder than others. Same thing with the reception. I just found out my RAZR does a lil better than I thought in my apt for calls...which gets almost to no data at all. My apt is almost a dead zone by itself. And out front I cant get over 9Mbps down and up. I know an area I hang out in....kinda far from my apt...its actually in another state, I live in the DC, MD, VA area.... where I can get 20 down n up easy.

Its not all imagination...

I find it kinda odd that the low speaker on the G Nex is accepted more than the possible reception in bad reception areas. Maybe cuz a fix was already found for that. Hope the reception issues in bad reception areas is as easy to fix.

Last edited:

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

To voice your concerns about the GNex:

Samsung's Contact Information

Verizon's Contact Information

Google's Galaxy Nexus Site

Contact Samsung directly: (888) 987-4357

*611 from your VZW cell phone or (800) 922-0204 from a land line to call Verizon directly

I think anyone having an issue should speak up so we can get these issues addressed and hopefully fixed. I don't want to give up my phone; I want it to work properly.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech