Galaxy Nexus and IPv6

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure very few of you will actually care, but the Galaxy Nexus has IPv6 connectivity when on LTE (and WiFi if your WiFi network is set up correctly):
Test your IPv6.

The only failed test case is that Google's DNS servers 1) aren't configured with their IPv6 equivalent and 2) do not forward requests over IPv6 transport over IPv6. Not a huge issue at this point, but still annoying.

Android has probably supported IPv6 since day one, it's nice to see that VZW is supporting it on LTE natively. Sadly, they do seem to block incoming connections still. Probably for the best, too many people out there running services without passwords and the last thing we need is a bunch of old-school worms.

For those interested, Google's IPv6 DNS servers are 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844. The standard servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) both hand out AAAA records so there's no real need to add the IPv6 transport to them, but it does give you a smug sense of self-satisfaction ;)

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this with the Xoom too and when I posted, got a few "huh" sort of replies, LOL. Works great here, even pulls down a IPv6 address from Comcast when on Wifi. I'm trying to find the article, but I had thought I had read somewhere that every LTE device is native IPv6, and then uses an IPv4 proxy essentially? When you do the math it makes sense as with all the devices, that's a lot of IP addresses :)

-Mike

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know it's not inherent to LTE, but it is a Verizon requirement since they want LTE to be their migration to IPv6 (too bad there's no path for FiOS that I know of). I believe on LTE it's a dual-stack with a NATed IPv4 address (10.x.x.x) and an IPv6 address rather than a 6to4 proxy but I may be wrong. At least we won't need to worry about what happens on June 6th this year!

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know it's not inherent to LTE, but it is a Verizon requirement since they want LTE to be their migration to IPv6 (too bad there's no path for FiOS that I know of). I believe on LTE it's a dual-stack with a NATed IPv4 address (10.x.x.x) and an IPv6 address rather than a 6to4 proxy but I may be wrong. At least we won't need to worry about what happens on June 6th this year!

That sounds about right from what I read now that you mention it. I did find a couple articles that Verizon was requiring all of their LTE devices to support IPv6 (which is what I meant, looking back I didn't mean all LTE, just Verizon LTE.) Pretty darn cool and forward thinking :)

-Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy