25% drain in 1 hour?!

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Did NiCads ever make it into phones? I used to be into Radio control back then so I remember them from that. Used to have discharging trays and cyclers and all that jazz.

You know.. That's a good question. I always thought some of those old school phones had them. I just went through my smartphone graveyard desk drawer and the old device I had was an old Sammy i730 WinMo phone. (A kick ass device for its time) but even that was a first gen EVDO phone so it's not super old. I could have swore those old Nokia cell phones were not Li-ion but I could be totally wrong. I think I have one at home in the kids toy bin, but I'm sure I tossed the battery.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Touche. I only check the stats during heavy use.

Been streaming for 3.5 hours now, and it's time for ASOT now. Phone will be dead soon...

haha. well, hey you're using the phone in the way it was intended to be used. It has all of these capabilities, why not use them.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Down to my last 15%. Plugging it in finally. got 7.5 hours of life today. Started texting and playing words with friends heavily after lunch.

2 hours 25 mins of screen on.

Still not great, i want that 10 - 15 hour life. Words has got to be culprit here. Even though it was just updated.

NordicNinja

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This battery life is total crap wtf. I have my screen on low setting, facebook and g+ logged out, pretty much everything turned off, no syncing, no gps... All I've been doing is punching in contacts and my battery is drained over 50% in less than 2 hours. Brutal. Seriously beginning to question my decision to switch from Blackberry. There are a few things I love about this phone, but for everyone one there are two things that I miss about Blackberry. Not happy right now.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This battery life is total crap wtf. I have my screen on low setting, facebook and g+ logged out, pretty much everything turned off, no syncing, no gps... All I've been doing is punching in contacts and my battery is drained over 50% in less than 2 hours. Brutal. Seriously beginning to question my decision to switch from Blackberry. There are a few things I love about this phone, but for everyone one there are two things that I miss about Blackberry. Not happy right now.

If your screen was on for almost two hours you shouldn't be at all surprised your battery drained that quickly. Seriously. Common sense.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Words with Friends slaughters the battery on mine, I dunno why it's such a hog.

Worst battery drain I've seen was actually downloading a movie while waiting to board a plane at the airport, but then again it pulled down 3.6gb in under 30 minutes. That took 21% of the battery.

On the whole it lives up to my expectations. When not using 4g it is very similar to my Droid X w/ CM7 in battery life.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Screenshot_2011-12-29-17-57-30.png

This is about the best I've gotten.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Can someone with Juice Experience tell me how to use it? Do I just click Enable and then Balanced for the Free version?

yes. and basically what that will do is turn off your 3G/4G when you screen lock the phone, while keeping on cellular data to receive texts and calls. It will also turn off 3G/4G automatically when you enable WiFi. The paid version is highly customizable, but the free - not so much.

I'm actually turning Juice Defender off today in yet another battery life experiment. I'm curious as to whether the constant switching on and off of the data negatively affects the battery. Time will tell.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If anybody with battery issues has Beautiful Widgets installed, get rid of it and see if that helps. I've only been doing that for a day but I've noticed a big improvement.

Reactions: RyMac04

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If anybody with battery issues has Beautiful Widgets installed, get rid of it and see if that helps. I've only been doing that for a day but I've noticed a big improvement.

Could you suggest an alternative Clock/Weather widget? I enjoy having it on my home screen, but not at the cost of the battery. Just uninstalled...

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Could you suggest an alternative Clock/Weather widget? I enjoy having it on my home screen, but not at the cost of the battery. Just uninstalled...

There is Fancy Widgets.. I bought the Pro version way back when it was a free Amazon app of the day, but now it looks like there is a Fancy Widgets and Fancy Widgets Ultimate, but no Pro.. I dunno.

I'm going with none for a few days, though I'm like you.. I liked having it on the screen. My screen is pretty lame currently.. All the apps I use are in folders and most are on my task bar dock thingy, with just three on the screen.. pretty naked. :)

cartoonvillain

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Purely from a scientific experimental point of view, you have to start with as few variables as possible. So literally, try to shut everything off that's unnecessary for testing...

1. go through all the settings, disable all radios except voice (called "mobile network" on my device)
  2. be sure to set your display brightness to 'auto' (or around 25% if you don't have 'auto')
  3. uninstall as many of the apps that may be using the devices 'data' radio (you can reinstall them later)
  4. uninstall any apps that are monitoring your device (unless they use barely any CPU)
  5. remove ALL widgets from your homescreens, but regular shortcuts are okay

Now, let your phone discharge to about 20%, then charge it to 100%. Shut it off, remove the battery (seriously), put the battery back in. With the device powered off, keep it charging and wait about 30 minutes. WIth the device still plugged in and charging, start it up. Wait at least 10 minutes before unplugging the charger (to allow a full system boot, as well as any RAM optimizations that the OS wants to perform). At this point, you should be in better shape to determine your battery drain issue.

The following pertains to my hTC evo, and may help you...

You can look at the basic statistics on what your device is using for battery: in the About Phone settings, you'll find the Battery Use area, it will show the top usages, and for me Display, Voice Calls, Android System, and 'Cell Standby'/'Phone Idle' are the ones using most of the battery. Once in a while, something like Google Maps will show up, if I've been using it for GPS Navigation or something. If you see something other than these or that pertains to a particular app, you may have found your battery-killing culprit. You can click on each of the items listed and get more information, different depending on the category, but sometimes revealing. Also, you can tap the graph of the usage and it will bring up the graph breakdown, of which mine shows "Phone signal", "GPS on", "Awake", "Screen on", & "Charging".

I will say, there are a few apps/processes that the stock ROM will hide from you and can be draining. One of these (of major contention amongst the mobile community) is CarrierIQ, often having a slightly different name, but with the letters "IQ" in the processes name somewhere. Hopefully having turned off the 'data' radio should negate power drain from that one.

If these things don't help, I suggest you find a non-resource-intensive monitoring app, and run it after the reboot. I use OS Monitor (<< that should be a working link), but it does get a bit intensive with CPU usage once in a while, so perhaps not the best for testing. Someone else in this forum may have a better suggestion. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Last edited:

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've said it a million times, but if I have to cripple my device and shut off ALL the services that a smartphone is used for, whats the point of having a smartphone. Might as well go pick up a Nextel iDen device....

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've said it a million times, but if I have to cripple my device and shut off ALL the services that a smartphone is used for, whats the point of having a smartphone. Might as well go pick up a Nextel iDen device....

I'm right with you, buddy. I'm past the point of wanting to tweak the hell out of stuff just to get it to work. 90% of the users I support are not tech heads.. they are financial folks who are raking in the $$$ for the company and don't want to waste time tweaking crap, which is why I am seeing them drop Android devices left and right and going with iPhones or even back to Blackberry devices. (but mostly iPhones... BB is mostly dead) They just want something that works and doesn't need to be tweaked.

I think the GNex will end up being ok after another update or two and if some of these problem apps are updated.... time will tell though.

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Check this out, this was last night. I left my phone unplugged because I figured I had enough battery time while I slept. Apparently not! I'm assuming it lost mobile network signal, and it was attempting to reacquire connection to the tower. Bless his little heart, he tried and tried mightily, but failed to do so, and exhausted his battery completely.

I was slightly half-awake when this happened, and apparently these phones let out a short vibration when it shuts down (Maybe it's last dying breath?), and this is what woke me up.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

GPS: On
WiFi: On, with available connection
BT: Off
NFC: Off
Preferred Network Mode: LTE/CDMA

Last edited:

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Check this out, this was last night. I left my phone unplugged because I figured I had enough battery time while I slept. Apparently not! I'm assuming it lost mobile network signal, and it was attempting to reacquire connection to the tower. Bless his little heart, he tried and tried mightily, but failed to do so, and exhausted his battery completely.

I was slightly half-awake when this happened, and apparently these phones let out a short vibration when it shuts down (Maybe it's last dying breath?), and this is what woke me up.

Damn that's horrible. I try to charge mine before bed because I get a similar battery drain (yet no loss of signal). I don't like leaving it on the charger while I sleep.

One question though. I see your phone was not awake for most of the time. Why is that? Mine is awake 100% of the time.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I think you nailed it - it was trying to find a 4G or 3G tower, and was likely switching between the two. The Juice Defender app will automatically disable your data upon connection to WiFi - that should solve your issue. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with plugging it in everynight, and I definitely would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay