Would u guys recommend tablet or nexus for HDMI to tv

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Want 2 watch netflix from either of my nexus or my galaxy tab to my tv using the hdmi adapter. Which would you recommend I buy the adapter for the tablet or 4 the phone. It seems pointless to buy them both.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
On the other hand, the MHL adapter seems to work across multiple phone models and manufacturers, it'll last longer. But I agree that the Tab may be the way to go for the reasons mentioned as well as for the potential of longer battery life in case you're using it away from a charger.

These aren't exactly expensive purchases, either, so one of each covers all your bases :)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use my Transformer tab because the battery life last longer but either would work fine. Make sure you check out the available movies Netflix has to stream if you haven't because it not a great selection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You can't charge either while doing HDMI out can you?

I'm not sure about the tablet cable, but my MHL cable has a port for power and the phone shows that it's charging when it's connected. What I don't know is whether it charges faster than it discharges when watching video content. I've got a Revue so I rarely stream video from my phone.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the tablet cable, but my MHL cable has a port for power and the phone shows that it's charging when it's connected. What I don't know is whether it charges faster than it discharges when watching video content. I've got a Revue so I rarely stream video from my phone.

That's cool....if that's the case it would move the nexus a little higher on my list. Be curious if it can charge fast enough. The xoom luckily enough has a 1.5A charging port so I can't drain it faster then it charges....

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
That's cool....if that's the case it would move the nexus a little higher on my list. Be curious if it can charge fast enough. The xoom luckily enough has a 1.5A charging port so I can't drain it faster then it charges....

The MHL adapter I have does require some power - it doesn't work without the charge port connected to something which does kind of change the idea that the tablet has better battery life since you'll need power for the phone at all times.

When my phone was down to <15% I tried it out with a 700mA charger and the HDMI kept dropping out and the phone was still losing charge. I let it charge and dug up a cheap 1A charger (I wouldn't be surprised if it put out less than that). I then started a TV show on NetFlix (WiFi) at 26% battery, 45 minutes later I was at 28% so I was at least able to hold my own.

Note that empty batteries can pull more power than nearly full batteries, on marginal chargers my X can maintain charge with no problem under heavy usage. But at <50% charge I needed to power everything off to charge or just turning the screen on would cause the charger to turn itself off.

In summary, it seems that with this MHL adapter and a random 1A charger you can watch movies indefinitely, but it is possible that even with a 700mA charger you can do this on a full battery.

Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like any more details or experiments.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Its kind of disappointing that both the nexus and tab need to be plugged into the wall while using HDMI out. I've been spoiled by devices with a dedicated HDMI out (micro HDMI). I find it pretty easy to just plug into the HDMI port on the side of TV without having to fight getting to the powerstrip....sliding furniture, unplugging other things, etc etc....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech