G-Nex Compatible with Car Audio Systems? USB audio out?

triton.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So is there anyway of getting the audio to go through the USB cable plugged into the car or do you have to output it with an extra audio wire?

I tried with 2011 Subaru Outback and car radio says unknown device. Is it compatible with any cars or am I just out of luck, or does audio not come out through the usb ever?

Last edited:

craigcls

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been curious about that too. You can try Dock Sound Re-director from the Market. Don't know if it'll work, but I was going to try that when I get the chance.

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried on my friends aftermarket cd player (eclipse) with no luck. It couldn't even charge the phone, which I kinda expected not to work. I'll be happy when a nice car dock is released for this phone.

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A vast majority of USB-compatible stereos do not support MTP, instead requiring USB Mass Storage mode. Unfortunately, because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card, USB Mass Storage mode is not supported. The number of USB-compatible car audio systems that support MTP is probably in the single digits.

Thank Google for this one.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
A vast majority of USB-compatible stereos do not support MTP, instead requiring USB Mass Storage mode. Unfortunately, because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card, USB Mass Storage mode is not supported. The number of USB-compatible car audio systems that support MTP is probably in the single digits.

Thank Google for this one.

This.

This is one of the larger problems that I have with MTP.

And I do enjoy my music.

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an Alpine iDA-x200 and it supports MTP. But it's kinda useless to me since I use Google music on my phone. Might bite the bullet and buy Alpine's Bluetooth kit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Reading this makes me glad my daily driver has an auxiliary input jack so I can plug in directly to the headphone output.

triton.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. This is my first venture into android so wasn't sure about this. Sounds like it's not really my car's issue, but the Nexus's MTP mode not being compatible. Too bad, can't even do bluetooth audio streaming with my subaru. Car has an aux jack though right next to the usb plug. My plug does charge the phone, though not enough juice to power the navigation at the same time. It trickles down about 10% per hour or so.

I'll give Dock Sound Re-director a try.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My GNEX mounts to my system via Bluetooth. The sound quality it so-so.

However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.

Doesn't anyone get an iPod anymore? I can use my iPod for a couple days before a charge is necessary. It also mounts to my vehicle, charges at the same time, and plays all the music I want.

My phone is there ready for phone calls. Other than for apps, I think people are beginning to expect too much out of these smartphones.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

However, I don't understand why people use the cell for music. I tried that at the gym but my phone battery would drain the phone significantly making its useless for calls unless I recharged it.

Doesn't anyone get an iPod anymore? I can use my iPod for a couple days before a charge is necessary. It also mounts to my vehicle, charges at the same time, and plays all the music I want.

My phone is there ready for phone calls. Other than for apps, I think people are beginning to expect too much out of these smartphones.

I've never used my cell for music until I got Spotify. Now the 1-2 combo of iPod Classic and Spotify makes long trips amazingly enjoyable.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
This isn't anything new. I used an OG Droid for two years for phone, music, Pandora, GPS, etc with a car charger and a dock. With the exception of using GPS and music simultaneously, the charger stayed ahead of the power drain. Even then it was good for a couple of hours. Why would I bother carrying an extra device?

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Why do people do that? Don't they have computers anymore? I prefer to carry my laptop, GPS navigation unit, iPod, camera, and video recorder. My phone just stays ready for calls...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Why do people do that? Don't they have computers anymore? I prefer to carry my laptop, GPS navigation unit, iPod, camera, and video recorder. My phone just stays ready for calls...

lol. I just prefer my iPod with the lossless stuff on it, even if it bogs it down :D.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
FYI, there are car chargers out there that can keep up even with navigation and BT streaming music. Look for USB chargers for iPads, they've got a 2.1A output that should be able to keep up no problem.

I've also never had an iPod, by the time they had one that caught up with my old MP3 player I had switched to my phone to consolidate devices. Now streaming music is much more useful to me, I'd rather train Pandora to play tunes I like than worry about collecting and organizing most music. However, with Google Music it's nice to have the option to go back to stuff I own without needing to use up storage space.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
FYI, there are car chargers out there that can keep up even with navigation and BT streaming music. Look for USB chargers for iPads, they've got a 2.1A output that should be able to keep up no problem.

I've also never had an iPod, by the time they had one that caught up with my old MP3 player I had switched to my phone to consolidate devices. Now streaming music is much more useful to me, I'd rather train Pandora to play tunes I like than worry about collecting and organizing most music. However, with Google Music it's nice to have the option to go back to stuff I own without needing to use up storage space.

I'm going to start the Google Music upload process today. Oi.

And that's good, I need to find a new charger. Any example of a decent one? I presume it's one where you use the stock USB cable (or other like cable with the mini end).

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's a list from Amazon:
Amazon.com: usb 2.1 amp car charger

I've got one of these but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. My VZW model was able to maintain charge during my last (5 hour) car trip, but it can only do so if the battery is already well charged.
Amazon.com: Griffin Technology PowerJolt Micro (Flat) 2A x 1 USB Power Charger for iPod/iPhone/iPad (Black ): MP3 Players & Accessories

I prefer one with a USB port, that way it should work with most tablets with proprietary connectors as well as my phones.

BTW, watch out for the dual-port models. You'll have to read carefully, some are rated for an amperage across all the ports. I've had more than one in the past rated at 1A but it was really 500mA per port and mostly useless :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much! I like these--much more versatile and no need for that stupid coiled wire! I also have a nice mini USB cord I can use.

Yeah a LOT of the ones in the Amazon link are dual port. I'm hoping BB is open today. Need to get a pork roast at Wegman's and a car charger. So disappoint when I saw my phone outracing the 650mA Rocketfish charger I had been using for the past year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12