First GPS goes wild, now GNex is HOT

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday the GPS icon started appearing every few seconds in my notification bar. Posted this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/146108-searching-gps-flashing-notification-bar.html#post1525615

Now the phone is running very hot. Never an issue before. I'm looking into the heat issue, but are these related?

Thanks, and HNY!

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Something is probably keeping your phone awake and running. Reboot and check for running programs. They could be related. What apps have you loaded or used lately?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
happened to me on another phone where the speedtest app was tripping out the gps on the phone. So I had to kill the app, but it hasn't happened on this phone yet.

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't figure which new app it was, if it was, but not much new in last few days. Doing a full re-set ...

BTW, the hot area was not the battery area, but around the camera. ???

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't figure which new app it was, if it was, but not much new in last few days. Doing a full re-set ...

BTW, the hot area was not the battery area, but around the camera. ???

That's where the processor is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ive been running into that flashing gps symbol in the notification bar too. It freezes my time in the notification bar too. Widgets show the right time though. I have to reset my phone. Uninstalled all weather widgets and it still happens.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was using my phone at lunch the other day on 4G (normally use 3G to just browse) and it got really hot.
I didn't notice what app may have been over-cycling the CPU, but the one thing I did notice was that when I plugged it into my car charger, it would not charge. I am not sure if this is some safety trigger or what. When I plugged the phone in, it said "Not Charging". When I unplugged it, it said "Discharging".

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The odd thing is that a regular reboot will fix it for awhile but I have tried bat pull and also cold booting and clearing system cache.

Its not a huge deal and I did not expect perfection from a new phone with a new OS. I expect bugs so ill deal with it until some updates come out.

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. Since the full re-set, I've done re-boots and battery pulls. Still gets hot on occasion. I assume a fix will come along. Until then, I won't let it spoil enjoyment of my Nexus!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, all. Since the full re-set, I've done re-boots and battery pulls. Still gets hot on occasion. I assume a fix will come along. Until then, I won't let it spoil enjoyment of my Nexus!

If you've got facebook installed on the phone, you should try deleting it and see how it does for a day or two (you can always get to facebook from your browser in the interim). I think that app has way to much junk going on in the background.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the demon app may be foursquare. When it happened again i removed foursquare and it stopped. I still had to reboot because the keyboard stopped typing letters and the time froze on tje notification bar. Ill leave it off for awhile and see if it stops.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay