Did VZW have a data or cellular signal outage overnight?

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I left my phone off the charger because it was at about 75% when I went to bed last night, and when I checked it this morning it was dead.

Once I put it on the charger and got it booted back up, I went into the battery usage history (using 3rd party app (Battery Monitor Pro, I think), the current draw from about 5 or 6 am (EST) was unusually high, and I then went to the battery usage in the settings app and found that the phone was without signal for about 2-1/2 hours.

Just wondering if anyone else saw this. I am in West Michigan.

Thanks

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Metro Detroit area and I was having problems making some phone calls around midnight. I had grey bars in the Roseville/Warren area. Facebook wouldn't update and my browser refused to load.

It seems like us Michiganders are getting owned by Verizon .

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
615c3981-6cd1-6ace.jpg

615c3981-6ce6-b954.jpg

615c3981-6cf6-9cb0.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I live in the Metro Detroit area and I was having problems making some phone calls around midnight. I had grey bars in the Roseville/Warren area. Facebook wouldn't update and my browser refused to load.

It seems like us Michiganders are getting owned by Verizon .

I'm thinking this was from everyone wanting to call friends and family to say happy new year. Same goes with Facebook I'm sure they were taking a beating. I did not notice a outage in nj but also didn't try to call anyone or anything.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking this was from everyone wanting to call friends and family to say happy new year. Same goes with Facebook I'm sure they were taking a beating. I did not notice a outage in nj but also didn't try to call anyone or anything.

That might have been the problem. I have yet to have any issues with data/signal until last night. Glad it was last night when I was having a bit of fun though.

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It was actually fine at midnight here. The battery history log showed it was closer to 6 am or so.

Maybe it was a glitch. I did just switch ROMs yesterday - went from Android Revolution HD to the latest Axiom ROM. I hope it isn't related to the ROM - I really like this one! (But I do have a backup to fall back on if needed).

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus is still stock, and while I was getting a 3G signal, I was unable to do anything with it last night here in NJ. Weirdest thing. (Actually seemed to extend into the afternoon, too, now that I think of it.)

Pghdroidette

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I had similiat problems last night..not good reception, gps couldnt connect, battery drain, and then random reboot first thing this morning. It was weird.

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
East Lansing here. I'll be honest -- I didn't get a chance to check any battery history or time without signal before I flashed a new rom this morning. But I did have one text fail to go through right at midnight, though I think it's obvious why. 2nd try went just fine. That's the only issue that I noticed, but then again, I was drunk and asleep for most of the night. :p

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
My Galaxy Nexus is still stock, and while I was getting a 3G signal, I was unable to do anything with it last night here in NJ. Weirdest thing. (Actually seemed to extend into the afternoon, too, now that I think of it.)

You try a reboot? Had that happen before when it shows data is good but nothing works. Reboots fixes it. Not just the nexus happened with my droid and X.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Well..... what's interesting in your graphs is the phone started heating up. As the device heats up it starts to shut down the signals to compensate. So it could be your device started with a lot of CPU cycles that caused the battery to heat up and then the phone, trying to prevent an overload / overheat condition shut down your data connections. I had this occur with my Nexus as well (overheat) and never figured out why.

Last edited:

jcarson13

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I also woke up to a completely dead GNex this morning. Had about 75% battery late
last night. Second time this week - last time it woke up on ODIN screen. Tried to
reboot - unsuccessful. Put it on the charger and it showed the battery completely
dead. Also in NYC area.

Disturbing - if I weren't home, I might not have had my spare battery and be left
without a phone ...

EDIT: mine's completely stock

Last edited:

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I also woke up to a completely dead GNex this morning. Had about 75% battery late
last night. Second time this week - last time it woke up on ODIN screen. Tried to
reboot - unsuccessful. Put it on the charger and it showed the battery completely
dead. Also in NYC area.

Disturbing - if I weren't home, I might not have had my spare battery and be left
without a phone ...

EDIT: mine's completely stock

Did you happen to look at the battery usage and see if you lost signal overnight?

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well..... what's interesting in your graphs is the phone started heating up. As the device heats up it starts to shut down the signals to compensate. So it could be your device started with a lot of CPU cycles that caused the battery to heat up and then the phone, trying to prevent an overload / overheat condition shut down your data connections. I had this occur with my Nexus as well (overheat) and never figured out why.

I am assuming that your post was directed at me. What did you see in the graphs that indicated the phone was heating up? I am not seeing that anywhere?

Not sure if you are looking at the red colors in the battery level graph or maybe the red color in the Mobile Network Signal bar. The green/yellow/red in the graph for battery level is just an indicator of the charge level - green=high, yellow=medium, red=low. Same is true of the Mobile Network Signal bar: green=strong signal (which doesn't show at all on my chart), yellow=medium signal, red=no signal.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a third party app? I've noticed it heating up, but it usually calms down fairly quickly.

Also, in the DC-Metro Area, woke up with 100% at full, no apparent outages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463