Signal Indicator Help

max pl

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
So I'm new to Android and to Verizon(sort of, used them 5 years back), and need some help with the signal indicator on this OS.

Searching through other threads, it seems the voice signal indicator is independent of 3g/4g indicator.
If I'm in an area with no 3g/4g, I am shown no bars at all, and am still able to make phone calls. Is there a way to get a more accurate sign that I'm able make a phone call. With no bars shown, sometimes I'm able to make phone calls and sometimes not.

This is the complete opposite of my experience with a 3GS on AT&T.

Not only was the network and signal stronger in the remote location where I work, which I find hard to believe based on past experience with Verizon's call quality, but the signal indicator was more accurate. I typically got 4 bars at work where as I now get no bars with Verizon. I was also much better informed as to when I could and couldnt make a phone call based on the bars.

Any thoughts on the issue? I'm mostly just puzzled that the service here is considerably worse than on AT&T, which I've always considered inferior.

Last edited:

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Not only was the network and signal stronger in the remote location where I work, why I find hard to believe based on past experience with Verizon's call quality, but the signal indicator was more accurate. I typically got 4 bars at work where as I now get no bars with Verizon. I was also much better informed as to when I could and couldnt make a phone call based on the bars.

Any thoughts on the issue? I'm mostly just puzzled that the service here is considerably worse than on AT&T, which I've always considered inferior.

It may be as simple as the relative distance between where you work and the towers for VZW and AT&T, but if you'd like to dig into some recent tech discussions on signal strength indicators (bars) and signal strength expressed in dBm try this long(!) thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...estigating-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue.html

HTH.