Does pentile make the screen not truly HD?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Does the pentile screen mean that the "720p" resolution doesn't actually show the same detail as a"normal" screen? If so, what is the actual effective resolution of the screen?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What is a "normal" screen? Even TV's use different tech (crt, LCD, plasma, dlp, etc) but can reproduce an image in a high enough resolution to be consider HD.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
A pixel generally refers to all of the components required to produce a dot of a particular color. Pentile uses a specific pattern of subpixels that don't get counted individually. Where things get a little less deterministic is in measuring things like DPI, where the geometry of these subpixels may mean that you've got a different effective DPI in the horizontal vs. vertical axes. Of course, the reality is at resolutions as high as the Nexus these are really more academic questions than practical ones - kind of like whether a $1000 audio cable is noticeably better than a $100 one (or a $10 one for most of us).

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
it's so dense the naked eye can't tell. so it's now a moot point and the whole pentile debate has been dropped.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This thread is going to piss me off, I can already tell. Everybody here needs to understand that pentile matrix tecnhnology has NOTHING to do with resolution. The resolution of the pentile matrix grid is the exact same as the resolution of a rgb stripe grid based on every historical and practical definition of the word "resolution."

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I like the Rezound's display a touch better, but there are enough touches that I favor the Nexus display more. I'll concede that it has the better display in my eyes though.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So, I just did the official, proven, Government-backed test of comparing it to an iPhone 4S (JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD; yes, you're welcome), and...

It's HD! I can't see any pixels, colors are equally as good, and... finally, the screen is definitely bigger on the Galaxy Nexus.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
The pentile screen has to share subpixels, so how does that not reduce the actual detail it is showing vs an RGB or whatever, normal screen?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
lol you guys know alot about screen pentiles and what not. I just know Super Amoled is beautiful. Although the Infuse when I owned it, had Super Amoled PLUS. I think that one was a bit sexier.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The pentile screen has to share subpixels, so how does that not reduce the actual detail it is showing vs an RGB or whatever, normal screen?

I think that at this level of inquiry, you should try contacting the Samsung engineering department for answers. The bottom line is, if you actually own this phone and don't like the display, sell it and get something else. If you don't own this phone yet, and you don't like the display, buy something else.

There are plenty of great devices out there and no reason to try making people feel like they made the wrong decision (I'm referring to most all of your threads...not just this one).

Reactions: ejaymd11

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I think that at this level of inquiry, you should try contacting the Samsung engineering department for answers. The bottom line is, if you actually own this phone and don't like the display, sell it and get something else. If you don't own this phone yet, and you don't like the display, buy something else.

There are plenty of great devices out there and no reason to try making people feel like they made the wrong decision (I'm referring to most all of your threads...not just this one).

It seems most of the contributors to this thread are those who fear truth. They fear that their god might be a mortal, and they bare disdain upon truth's grand messengers, I being one of them.

It also would seem that I must be correct in my musings upon this screen's true resolution, as if it were the case that these fearers of truth had any argument of worth, they would have made it. But alas, all they may do is beg for truth and its messengers to leave them be, and to let them live and drown and die in the dense and choking fog of their illusions; but I and truth cannot, as when a man climbs upon bridge's edge and wishes to jump, you remain obliged to try and save him.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Does the pentile screen mean that the "720p" resolution doesn't actually show the same detail as a"normal" screen? If so, what is the actual effective resolution of the screen?

720p is just that, a resolution. Whether it is pentile or not means absolutely nothing. But seriously, take from the other comments on here and just look at the screen for yourself. Bring up netflix in the store. If you dont like it dont buy it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It seems most of the contributors to this thread are those who fear truth. They fear that their god might be a mortal, and they bare disdain upon truth's grand messengers, I being one of them.

It also would seem that I must be correct in my musings upon this screen's true resolution, as if it were the case that these fearers of truth had any argument of worth, they would have made it. But alas, all they may do is beg for truth and its messengers to leave them be, and to let them live and drown and die in the dense and choking fog of their illusions; but I and truth cannot, as when a man climbs upon bridge's edge and wishes to jump, you remain obliged to try and save him.

Whatever...just get a different phone. We like the one we have. Find one that you like.

Reactions: _JKK_