01-07-2012 09:50 PM
107 123 ...
tools
    Does the pentile screen mean that the "720p" resolution doesn't actually show the same detail as a"normal" screen? If so, what is the actual effective resolution of the screen?
    01-01-2012 02:45 PM
    What is a "normal" screen? Even TV's use different tech (crt, LCD, plasma, dlp, etc) but can reproduce an image in a high enough resolution to be consider HD.
    01-01-2012 03:43 PM
    A pixel generally refers to all of the components required to produce a dot of a particular color. Pentile uses a specific pattern of subpixels that don't get counted individually. Where things get a little less deterministic is in measuring things like DPI, where the geometry of these subpixels may mean that you've got a different effective DPI in the horizontal vs. vertical axes. Of course, the reality is at resolutions as high as the Nexus these are really more academic questions than practical ones - kind of like whether a $1000 audio cable is noticeably better than a $100 one (or a $10 one for most of us).
    Jay Nova and KoukiFC3S like this.
    01-01-2012 03:57 PM
    I don't know or care. All I can say is that it's the most beautiful screen I've seen on an Android device.
    Josh515, qnet, ejaymd11 and 11 others like this.
    01-01-2012 05:04 PM
    Does the pentile screen mean that the "720p" resolution doesn't actually show the same detail as a"normal" screen? If so, what is the actual effective resolution of the screen?
    No.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ManBearPig618 likes this.
    01-01-2012 05:44 PM
    it's so dense the naked eye can't tell. so it's now a moot point and the whole pentile debate has been dropped.
    01-01-2012 06:44 PM
    I don't know or care. All I can say is that it's the most beautiful screen I've seen on an Android device.
    This. I own two iPhone 4 devices, and thisbis screen on the galaxy nexus is its equal. At least in my eyes.
    01-01-2012 06:51 PM
    This thread is going to **** me off, I can already tell. Everybody here needs to understand that pentile matrix tecnhnology has NOTHING to do with resolution. The resolution of the pentile matrix grid is the exact same as the resolution of a rgb stripe grid based on every historical and practical definition of the word "resolution."
    01-01-2012 06:53 PM
    This thread is going to **** me off, I can already tell."
    That's what it was intended to do. The OP has been ragging on the GN since before it was released. He/she/it hates this device. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even have one.
    01-01-2012 07:02 PM
    I like the Rezound's display a touch better, but there are enough touches that I favor the Nexus display more. I'll concede that it has the better display in my eyes though.
    01-01-2012 09:55 PM
    This. I own two iPhone 4 devices, and thisbis screen on the galaxy nexus is its equal. At least in my eyes.
    Hardly equal. Better by far, imho.
    01-01-2012 10:03 PM
    Hardly equal. Better by far, imho.
    No. They're about equal. The only thing the nexus has on the iPhone is size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 11:00 PM
    So, I just did the official, proven, Government-backed test of comparing it to an iPhone 4S (JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD; yes, you're welcome), and...

It's HD! I can't see any pixels, colors are equally as good, and... finally, the screen is definitely bigger on the Galaxy Nexus.
    01-01-2012 11:40 PM
    The pentile screen has to share subpixels, so how does that not reduce the actual detail it is showing vs an RGB or whatever, normal screen?
    01-02-2012 05:12 AM
    lol you guys know alot about screen pentiles and what not. I just know Super Amoled is beautiful. Although the Infuse when I owned it, had Super Amoled PLUS. I think that one was a bit sexier.
    01-02-2012 06:01 AM
    The pentile screen has to share subpixels, so how does that not reduce the actual detail it is showing vs an RGB or whatever, normal screen?
    I think that at this level of inquiry, you should try contacting the Samsung engineering department for answers. The bottom line is, if you actually own this phone and don't like the display, sell it and get something else. If you don't own this phone yet, and you don't like the display, buy something else.

There are plenty of great devices out there and no reason to try making people feel like they made the wrong decision (I'm referring to most all of your threads...not just this one).
    ejaymd11 likes this.
    01-02-2012 09:12 AM
    Pentile....again? Lmao!
    01-02-2012 09:14 AM
    I think that at this level of inquiry, you should try contacting the Samsung engineering department for answers. The bottom line is, if you actually own this phone and don't like the display, sell it and get something else. If you don't own this phone yet, and you don't like the display, buy something else.

There are plenty of great devices out there and no reason to try making people feel like they made the wrong decision (I'm referring to most all of your threads...not just this one).
    It seems most of the contributors to this thread are those who fear truth. They fear that their god might be a mortal, and they bare disdain upon truth's grand messengers, I being one of them.

It also would seem that I must be correct in my musings upon this screen's true resolution, as if it were the case that these fearers of truth had any argument of worth, they would have made it. But alas, all they may do is beg for truth and its messengers to leave them be, and to let them live and drown and die in the dense and choking fog of their illusions; but I and truth cannot, as when a man climbs upon bridge's edge and wishes to jump, you remain obliged to try and save him.
    01-02-2012 09:46 AM
    720p is just that, a resolution. Whether it is pentile or not means absolutely nothing. But seriously, take from the other comments on here and just look at the screen for yourself. Bring up netflix in the store. If you dont like it dont buy it.
    01-02-2012 09:54 AM
    It seems most of the contributors to this thread are those who fear truth. They fear that their god might be a mortal, and they bare disdain upon truth's grand messengers, I being one of them.

It also would seem that I must be correct in my musings upon this screen's true resolution, as if it were the case that these fearers of truth had any argument of worth, they would have made it. But alas, all they may do is beg for truth and its messengers to leave them be, and to let them live and drown and die in the dense and choking fog of their illusions; but I and truth cannot, as when a man climbs upon bridge's edge and wishes to jump, you remain obliged to try and save him.
    Whatever...just get a different phone. We like the one we have. Find one that you like.
    _JKK_ likes this.
    01-02-2012 09:58 AM
    I am actually curious about this as well. I absolutely adore my GNex, but i need to learn more about pentile displays. From what i have read, the resolution on a pentile display is "fake" since they count the subpixel. Hoewever, i cant really tell with the naked eye, except on lines on the screen, and on borders, where i can see pixels. (It doesnt bother me, i actually have to look very hard). I have also read that there is no other practical way of putting so many power efficient pixels on a screen other than with the Pentile Matrix.

But im just a geek and dont know too much about the screen tech. All i know is this screen is absolutely gorgeous.
    01-02-2012 10:03 AM
    It's still 720p whether it's pentile or not from what I understand. Pentile just has to do with how the pixels are arranged. At lower resolutions pentile screens can be noticeably pixelated but I haven't been able to tell that this screen is pentile. I'm sure this year we'll see Super Amoled HD PLUS screens but until then this screen looks great to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-02-2012 10:07 AM
    720p is just that, a resolution. Whether it is pentile or not means absolutely nothing. But seriously, take from the other comments on here and just look at the screen for yourself. Bring up netflix in the store. If you dont like it dont buy it.
    Pentile does mean something, as pixels share one of their subpixels with neighboring pixels. So if you have 2 neighboring pixels trying to display something, then one of those pixels is going to be lacking a subpixel, because only one of them can use the shared subpixel, which I can only imagine would reduce the overall detail displayed, and thus render the detail of the screen not truly of "HD" quality, and actually quite less than "HD" quality.
    01-02-2012 10:08 AM
    Sharing sub-pixels means that, yes, you lose some accuracy in the color representation of adjacent pixels. However, that loss of accuracy may not be perceptible to you given the distance from your eye and the amount of difference. The resolution has not changed, however.
    01-02-2012 10:09 AM
    It's still 720p whether it's pentile or not from what I understand. Pentile just has to do with how the pixels are arranged. At lower resolutions pentile screens can be noticeably pixelated but I haven't been able to tell that this screen is pentile. I'm sure this year we'll see Super Amoled HD PLUS screens but until then this screen looks great to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    From the moment I turned mine on and saw the Google logo I noticed that it was more pixelated than my OG Droid, and that "razer edge" effect is everywhere. I could barely make out a pixel on my Droid, but the Nexus hardly requires you to look for them.
    01-02-2012 10:11 AM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD