How many GN users are rooting?

How many GN users are rooting?

• Total voters

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
There are actually some ppl NOT rooting? :eek:

I rooted previous phones to get ASOP roms or in the Tbolt's case, a working rom. Nexus on Verizon's network is what I have been waiting for!!!

I am absolutely loving this phone, there are a few issues but they are expected with the new version of Andorid. I'm patient enough to wait for updates.

On a side note I was considering rooting to use Google Wallet but, as we all know, you don't need root.

-Kesnik

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted because the AC guide recommended it. While I most likely won't load another ROM, I will run Titanium Backup (which requires root).

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Bought it on 12/15. Rooted on 12/20. Was thinking about using it stock for a while. However, I faced a need for WiFi tethering on 12/20. So I defected to the dark side of android that date. Now, I am using the unofficial CM9 with 4.0.3 baseband. Couldn't be happier!!!

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok. After creating this poll and reading the results... I rooted :D
Now, it's as if nothing has changed. Besides a custom ROM (not interested) what can I do to improve battery and/or performance?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Bought it on 12/15. Rooted on 12/20. Was thinking about using it stock for a while. However, I faced a need for WiFi tethering on 12/20. So I defected to the dark side of android that date. Now, I am using the unofficial CM9 with 4.0.3 baseband. Couldn't be happier!!!

Same here. I flashed it this morning and it's working great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
While I have been thinking about it, there really hasn't been a compelling reason for me to root my Nexus. The only reason that I can think of at the moment would be to change the soft buttons and add the dedicated search back.But even that hasn't really pushed me to do it yet. Nova launcher would be another reason but I've opted to just use the installable apk (no root required). Sure I don't get widget previews in the app drawer but I found that method to be more inefficient than then the pop-up list window.

As the Nexus stands right now, it works that way I need it and want it to work. Now, when CM9 gets a stable release out the door I'll more than likely do the whole root and unlock thing.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just going to sit back, relax and wait for those sick new updates from Google.

Oh and continue to use the phone so heavy that you can almost hear the battery crying....

Gnoah

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned before. It is highly recommended that you at least unlock your phone if you ever plan rooting eventually, or even think you might. That way you don't lose as much data as you will unlocking down the road. Just a reminder to those on the fence.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Very good reminder. If I get the Nexus, I will unlock it before I set it up. I'm sure I'll root anyway to use Titanium to get all my apps and data back.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is good for:

1. Tinkering in the command line with Better Terminal
2. Loading AdAway, to get rid of pesky ads in web and apps
3. Wifi hotspot - if/when the hotspots toggle widget bug is patched
4. Loading custom boot animations, transparent stock widgets, etc.
5. Nandroid backups
6. Widgets that allow rebooting!
7. Removing stock apps (bloatware)

I like ICS, and I'm not planning to change roms. However I would like to get rid of the Google search bar (apparently you have to have a deodexed rom for that).

Last edited:

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
3. Wifi hotspot - if/when the hotspots toggle widget bug is patched

Is there any tutorial to get this working? The free version floating around the forum that does not require root does not work for me unless I allow an open network, which I do not want to do.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Is there any tutorial to get this working? The free version floating around the forum that does not require root does not work for me unless I allow an open network, which I do not want to do.

That's strange. I didn't see any tutorial; I just downloaded the SwitchPro widget, put it on my home screen, added the tethering toggle, clicked it, and tethering worked. I pulled up the tethering options in the notification bar and changed the network name and password, but that was it.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I just rooted mine yesterday but still using the stock ROM. I had forgot about the Google Wallet" secure element" issue until I unlocked the bootloader and rooted. Fortunately, Wallet appears to still be working fine. I'm hesitant to flash a custom ROM because I'm afraid I'll frak up the NFC chip, and Google Wallet is one of the main things I love about the phone.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted mine yesterday but still using the stock ROM. I had forgot about the Google Wallet" secure element" issue until I unlocked the bootloader and rooted. Fortunately, Wallet appears to still be working fine. I'm hesitant to flash a custom ROM because I'm afraid I'll frak up the NFC chip, and Google Wallet is one of the main things I love about the phone.

I have been on 4 or 5 custom roms...Wallet worked on every one of them.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance