WiFi Tether on VZW GN - What Did I Just Stumble Upon?

fascinatej

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what I'm doing wrong , I downloaded the widget , when I press the hotspot button nothing happens except the light comes on. Was there something I needed to set up when I apply the widget. Sucks if I paid 99 cents for nothing. I have a samsung fascinate verizon

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I downloaded this one: Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget (free).

And it is nowhere to be found. Not under apps or in widgets. Says it is installed... Direction say to long press on homescreen to add widget. But, ICS gives you "select wallpaper". What's up? Where do I find it? And more importantly, how do I add it to my homescreen?

I had to reboot my phone before i saw it in the widgets. I was having the same issue, but after rebooting it showed up in the list of widgets. My guess is that the long press on the homescreen instructions is for earlier versions of Android.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
this is unreal.... :)

I just tested it and it worked great!

My laptop was able to pick up the signal from 6 feet away. The speed was decent.

A couple of question:

(1) is this really a "loophole" ???

(2) what's the worst that can happen if VZW finds out? add $30 charge to my acct?

(3) if VZW shuts off this "loophole" in the future, is there another app that can do the same thing?

(4) is there a way for the phone to turn this feature off automatically? say after 30 minutes? I dont' want it to drain my battery if I forget to turn it off....(or accidentally starting the widget)

Thanks! :)

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
if Verizon Wireless only charges $10 extra per month for hotspot feature, I'm sure a lot of people
will sign up.... instead, they want $30/month and I don't know anybody who has this feature actiavated
on their phone.

perhaps we should stop discussing/replying to this thread... or else Verizon will find out soon.. :(

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Since it just takes you to the settings I wonder if you just keep asking it over and over again if it'll just give up and work, without installing the widget.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
come to think of it, will Verizon Wireless bother to close this loophole
if it only works on the Galaxy Nexus? There aren't that many Galaxy
Nexus smartphones out there... I can see them shutting this down
immediately if this loophole was discovered on the iPhone 4 or 4S. :D

My unrooted Galaxy Nexus works fine.... just tried the same trick on
my co-worker's Moto RAZR and a couple of HTC phones...
doesn't work on them... not really sure why. Perhaps VZW bloatware
on those phones can prevent it?

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
come to think of it, will Verizon Wireless bother to close this loophole
if it only works on the Galaxy Nexus? There aren't that many Galaxy
Nexus smartphones out there... I can see them shutting this down
immediately if this loophole was discovered on the iPhone 4 or 4S. :D

My unrooted Galaxy Nexus works fine.... just tried the same trick on
my co-worker's Moto RAZR and a couple of HTC phones...
doesn't work on them... not really sure why. Perhaps VZW bloatware
on those phones can prevent it?

Hopefully not. Though, someone here in this thread said it worked on his DInc...

I have an unrooted TBolt sitting around at home. Maybe I'll fire it up tonight, reactivate it and see if this works on it too.

droidgeek

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the awesome find. Got it to work on my VW GN but it wouldn't work on a co-worker's Bionic. We could only hope that VW doesn't mess this up on the next update .