WiFi Tether on VZW GN - What Did I Just Stumble Upon?

rog152

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Strange, when I activate the verizon portable hot spot in settings i get the checking subs pop up and then i get a box to call a consumer number. Am I in trouble?:(

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Strange, when I activate the verizon portable hot spot in settings i get the checking subs pop up and then i get a box to call a consumer number. Am I in trouble?:(

That's just it ... When you do it the normal way through the setting menu, it checks with VZW and pops up for a subscription request. When you use Switch Pro Widget or some of the other widgets posted in this thread, the widgets actions do not trigger the check with VZW or the subscription pop up ;)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It asks me for a password when I try to connect to my GN. What would the default one be?

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out. I guess I should try harder before posting :p It works perfectly. I can't believe they have this flaw. Glad I held back from buying that other app for 9.99 to do it. I won't really have a use for this until 4G comes to my area though.

Lil connor

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never rooted my phone before, I have a galaxy nexus, and would like an easy way to root it and use wifi tether for a tablet. I have unlimited data.

bsims405

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to activate mine from the settings menu just by checking the box ever since i got the phone.
I am rooted but i don't believe that has anything to do with it.

No subscription check. No subscription on my online account.

When i updated to a rom that was on 4.0.3 it checked my subscription.
I just reverted back to 4.0.2 :)

angel.de.marc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Unrooted VZW Galaxy Nexus, and I can confirm it works like a charm. I tried it really fast so if I didn't I could refund the .99, but it works! I tethered my Xoom no problem!

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
OK .. Somehow, I am using the built in WiFi together feature on my VZW GN with NO subscription ...

Here's what happened.... Today I was playing around setting up my widgets and such and decided to nose around the new version of Switch Pro Widget since I haven't touched it in AGES .. Anyways, I notice that there is a WiFi hotspot toggle now so I added it to my widget. When is selected the toggle I thought it would activate the WiFi tether app (rooted) I have installed. Low and behold when I hit the button it takes me to the hot spot page in Settings under "Wireless & Networks" ---> "Tethering & Portable Hotspot". The "Portable WIFi Hotspot" box checks automatically and the built in tether app starts. Very strange I thought.

So I turned the button off in the Switch Pro Widget and tried to initiate the hot spot manually through the same menu in Settings ... When I do this the phone says its "Checking Subscription Status" and then pops up a menu asking me to subscribe for $30 per month... I obviously cancelled. I tried it manually three times and each time got the menu ..

I have since initiated the hot spot a dozen times on and off through Switch Pro and get no such subscription check or message from VZW. Very weird... I never did connect a device.

I got home and have tried this hotspot with my iPad and it works perfectly. No warnings or anything. Several speed tests show normal 3G speeds with the 1 bar connection I normally get at my house.

Did I inadvertently stumble upon something here? Very curious to know. Thanks.

I'm sending this from my iPad tethered to my GN right now. Gonna stop and go back to normal WiFi. Don't want to get in trouble with Big Red. :). Have WiFi at home .. No need to tether.

I got it set up and working for tethering but how do I turn it off? So far the only way I have found is to restart my GN.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I've never rooted my phone before, I have a galaxy nexus, and would like an easy way to root it and use wifi tether for a tablet. I have unlimited data.

Just download "Switch Pro Widget" from the market here - https://market.android.com/details?...lt#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImFsZWkuc3dpdGNocHJvIl0.

Or this Portable Wifi Hotspot Widget Here - https://market.android.com/details?...t&rdid=com.taiseiko.tetherWidget&rdot=1&pli=1

Have fun .. NO ROOT required. :)

*Of course use at your own risk as VZW may be able to track this...

mozzarella72

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
So, just tried this with the free widget and it worked. I'm scared that verizon will add the feature to my plan automatically. People have been saying this has worked on old phones? How long do you think this loophole has been working?

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've downloaded the app (SwitchPro Widget) on my GN, but

a) I need a network security key for my computer to connect and
b) The 4G, USB Tether, and Flashlight switches do not work on my phone.

Can anybody offer any insight on how to find out the network security key?

Thanks.

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I downloaded this one: Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget (free).

And it is nowhere to be found. Not under apps or in widgets. Says it is installed... Direction say to long press on homescreen to add widget. But, ICS gives you "select wallpaper". What's up? Where do I find it? And more importantly, how do I add it to my homescreen?

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I downloaded this one: Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget (free).

And it is nowhere to be found. Not under apps or in widgets. Says it is installed... Direction say to long press on homescreen to add widget. But, ICS gives you "select wallpaper". What's up? Where do I find it? And more importantly, how do I add it to my homescreen?

It won't appear in the app drawer, but click on widgets and it will be the widget labeled ---

Tether shortcut widget

towards the end of your widget selection screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad