WiFi Tether on VZW GN - What Did I Just Stumble Upon?

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
....didn't see it in all 18 pages here, but this loophole works but still uses your data. Hence, if your on unlimited data, we all should be okay as far as charges not occuring, correct? has anyone been charged?

worked for me on my g'nex with the free app, hooked to my buddies iPod touch and worked fine....

Last edited:

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Just to get this straight, I'm running a ROM that has a wifi tether toggle included. By using this toggle I will be able to tether and get the same results that those here have gotten/are getting by using the various third party apps mentioned?

hamblindave

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Does that one still work on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Thanks!

Yes, I've used that one successfully before. I've tried several others and they all work fine. I use the Power Control Plus widget primarily (since I had already purchased it a few years ago), but any widget that toggles the wi-fi tethering/hotspot in the background directly should work. If it is one that merely acts as a shortcut to the settings page so that you still have to check the box manually, then that won't work.

As for the person (dew7) who posted earlier trying this on the Samsung Fascinate, keep in mind that this thread is only referring to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Other methods to enable tethering exist (for both rooted and unrooted devices), so you just have to find what works on your device.

Happy Tethering! ;-)

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Wish I could provide a link but unfortunately its an internal Verizon link. But obviously if no one has been charged for it its true. We don't advertise it to customers and do u honesty think Verizon would make it that easy for you to activate it. When I get back to work ill try to snap a photo of the info but I can't make guarantees. But all I know is its part of being a nexus .. Google's policy on phone. Again though its only available to those with 29.99 unlimited data plan.

I'm sorry, but this is bull . When you try to start the tethering through the settings menu, you get an error telling you to subscribe if you're not currently signed up. More than likely this is just acting as a workaround to get past that error but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fixed in the next release we get from Verizon.

sbenson1189

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a gnex on verizon not rooted and have been using foxfi for over a month now to get free hotspotting. Its free in google play. It works on many phones. No subscription required. Give it a try.

BigAls87Z28

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a gnex on verizon not rooted and have been using foxfi for over a month now to get free hotspotting. Its free in google play. It works on many phones. No subscription required. Give it a try.

Just downloaded this and using my phone right now. So far, pretty good!
I was looking around to find out why my laptop doesn't recognize my phone when I plug the USB cable into it. This should get me around that for a while.

Seems pretty fast as well! Well, now this is great!

BigAls87Z28

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! This sounds good. I'll check out my VZ account tomorrow to see if they caught on.
It does select the box in settings saying that I am tethering, but nothing is coming up asking me for a subscription service.

Kilj0y

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you say you have a wifi tether app (for rooted) users installed already?

Uninstall it, reboot phone, and then try flipping that switch and see what happens.

And why would any rooted user pay for tethering? Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

So I have been using that and everything I have tethered the data has not been applied towards my download total on vzw's website, is that normal? I am not worried as I am on the unlimited plan but just curious as to if vzw can see all this data I am using tethered.

nbkhuu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
been using a hotspot widget for months now... thinking about updating to 4.0.4. does anyone know if free tethering with this method still works in 4.0.4? would hate to lose the ability in the upgrade.

thanks.

husky8

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Jellybean - Can we get an update from someone who has tested switchpro on VZW GN with Jellybean OTA update when it comes out. My jellybean upgrade depends on tether still working.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Jellybean - Can we get an update from someone who has tested switchpro on VZW GN with Jellybean OTA update when it comes out. My jellybean upgrade depends on tether still working.

Works fine on the JB Roms. In fact, you can initiate the hotspot from the settings menu and it works fine.