Waiting till the 15th to decide if I'm keeping the Nexus

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I might be returning mine sadly. I am lucky to get 4hr on a charge which is unacceptable to me and my signal sucks. Lose 4g in Houston constantly and am really annoyed because I love this phone and will not root on principle because my phone should function relatively well on its own. I like rooting and am not against it but it should improve the phone not be the only way you can use it.

Don't return, exchange it. Sounds like you got a bad one. I was in Houston for two weeks after getting this and had great LTE connection with insane speeds and easily 12-14 hours battery life. Totally stock. Check out the pic. Shows a low signal too. Moderate use although the graph almost looks like it is in standby. It wasn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JMac24#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I would tend to agree something is up with that unit or battery I don't have LTE where I am and even with it toggled on, wifi on with no wifi signal and in a building with poor reception I would get like 6 to 8. I was just testing to see the drain. That was texting and GTalk all night as well. Now running Bugless with Imo's kernel I am easily double that.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
One of my pet peeves is people using the "before I get stuck with a phone for 2 years". If you buy a high end phone and want to switch lets say after a year, sell your phone...there will be a demand, and use the money to buy the new phone of choice + some of your own dollars. You wight be on cotract with Verizon for two years but your not tied to the phone.

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
One of my pet peeves is people using the "before I get stuck with a phone for 2 years". If you buy a high end phone and want to switch lets say after a year, sell your phone...there will be a demand, and use the money to buy the new phone of choice + some of your own dollars. You wight be on cotract with Verizon for two years but your not tied to the phone.

How much would you expect to get for this phone a year from now? Honestly?

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
As for me, I'm keeping my eyes on CES too. Mainly because of the reception issues. Not buying any excuses. Verizon confirmed 4 dropped calls for me. Not one in the prior month on my Palm Pre Plus that is what 2 years old? Enough said. Everything else is cool though. I don't want to go back to an older Android Version though. And I don't want to wait over a month until a new release. So we will see.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
As for me, I'm keeping my eyes on CES too. Mainly because of the reception issues. Not buying any excuses. Verizon confirmed 4 dropped calls for me. Not one in the prior month on my Palm Pre Plus that is what 2 years old? Enough said. Everything else is cool though. I don't want to go back to an older Android Version though. And I don't want to wait over a month until a new release. So we will see.

Why do people not grasp the concept that the older the phone is, the more stable it is? Of course a 2 year old phone is going to be better than a brand new phone with reception because of radio updates.

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do people not grasp the concept that the older the phone is, the more stable it is? Of course a 2 year old phone is going to be better than a brand new phone with reception because of radio updates.

You sound like a fool. There are people who have recently released phones who also note a notable difference. That added to the fact that Verizon has stated that their "isn't really a problem" would give any sensibly thinking, unbias person a little cause for concern. Period.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
What does phone stability have to do with the radio? Why is it then that other phones straight out of the box can have great radios?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What does phone stability have to do with the radio? Why is it then that other phones straight out of the box can have great radios?

Which phones would those be? The Thunderbolt? Nope, it had issues out of the box considering it was the first LTE phone on the market. If anything that's why the Rezound may be doing better in terms of radios because HTC finally knows what it's doing after all of the radio updates to the Thunderbolt (trust me I know, I had a Thunderbolt).

The Charge? Nope, it had issues right up until the Gingerbread update, which wasn't pushed until right before the Galaxy Nexus was released. Coincidence that a radio update will be included with the 4.0.3 update now that the Charge seems to be doing better with the radio updates that were in the 2.3 update? Highly unlikely.

The Revolution? It actually was pretty good out of the box for the most part, but LG has always been pretty strong with radios, although it certainly wasn't perfect as my wife had a few issues with the phone during the first few weeks.

The Bionic... HA! That's all I'm going to say with that.

The Razr and Rezound may be a bit better out of the box than the Galaxy Nexus, but again, Motorola and HTC had practice with their other LTE phones. Samsung was just a little late with the radio fixes to the Charge and didn't have a chance to put them in the Galaxy Nexus right away.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Which phones would those be? The Thunderbolt? Nope, it had issues out of the box considering it was the first LTE phone on the market. If anything that's why the Rezound may be doing better in terms of radios because HTC finally knows what it's doing after all of the radio updates to the Thunderbolt (trust me I know, I had a Thunderbolt).

The Charge? Nope, it had issues right up until the Gingerbread update, which wasn't pushed until right before the Galaxy Nexus was released. Coincidence that a radio update will be included with the 4.0.3 update now that the Charge seems to be doing better with the radio updates that were in the 2.3 update? Highly unlikely.

The Revolution? It actually was pretty good out of the box for the most part, but LG has always been pretty strong with radios, although it certainly wasn't perfect as my wife had a few issues with the phone during the first few weeks.

The Bionic... HA! That's all I'm going to say with that.

The Razr and Rezound may be a bit better out of the box than the Galaxy Nexus, but again, Motorola and HTC had practice with their other LTE phones. Samsung was just a little late with the radio fixes to the Charge and didn't have a chance to put them in the Galaxy Nexus right away.

I'm actaully talking about CDMA sign strength and connectivity. Now please explain that again with that in mind since every manufacturer you described has had years of experience with that spectrum. Look at the numbers I posted earlier. If Samsung has the fix for the Charge, then why not push it to the GN? As to the original question, I'm still waiting to hear how the OS stability affects the radio.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm actaully talking about CDMA sign strength and connectivity. Now please explain that again with that in mind since every manufacturer you described has had years of experience with that spectrum. Look at the numbers I posted earlier. If Samsung has the fix for the Charge, then why not push it to the GN? As to the original question, I'm still waiting to hear how the OS stability affects the radio.

Did you not read at all? The radio updates are coming in 4.0.3 (which by all signs appears to be coming this week).

I didn't mention OS at all... where in the world did you come up with that?

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you not read at all? The radio updates are coming in 4.0.3 (which by all signs appears to be coming this week).

I didn't mention OS at all... where in the world did you come up with that?

Oh I can read quite well, in fact you stated:

Why do people not grasp the concept that the older the phone is, the more stable it is?

Does that help you remember what you said. When you are talking stability you are talking about the OS, which wasn't the crux of my or the others points. As an OS is updated it tends to become more stable. I agree with you on that. I was, and still am, talking about the radio. Yes you can play with the firmware a bit to help it, but coming straight out of the box you are dealing with the physical radio. Are you going the other points? How can you explain the CDMA radio still having poorer reception when Samsung has had years of experience with that technology?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
How much would you expect to get for this phone a year from now? Honestly?

I am by no means an expert, but in excellent condition I would say in the 200 to 300 dollar range, which in my opinion is better than a stick in the eye. Put aside some money during the year and you have the purchase price for the next brand new Nexus or close to it.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Im gonna have to take it right to the edge. Went to EPCOT yesterday. Even on 3G I could not make it all day and I had reception problems galore. Keep in mind that Disney normally has awesome coverage. On top of that the phone reset its self 3 times yesterday. Now I did put the phone through its paces taking photos and updating Facebook. However my wife with her Rezound was doing the same amount of work and it sipped it's battery so that by the time we left she had plenty of juice to spare. Plus she never had a reception issue. I love ICS and have been OK with the Nexus, but it seems more and more to me that this phone is great if you are always near a power source. That works for a lot of folks. But I am on the go way too much and away from a power outlet most of the time. I'm not gloating. I want to stick with the GN, but if it it can't meet my needs then I'm going to be forced to switch phones :'(

Me, and 5 other friends, have consistent 3G reception issues. Usually 10-20dBm less than any phone I compare it to: Droid, Droid Charge, Stratosphere, Droid X, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s. There are times where me and a friend's Nexus has ZERO signal and our friend's Verizon iPhone has 3 bars (in the -90dBm range). It's horrible.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site

This phone has virtually identical radio hardware, CDMA and LTE, to the Droid Charge, which many of my friends/coworkers have and it works just fine. My coworker's Charge is consistently 10-20dBm better in reception than my phone, and he never drops calls.

Something's wrong with the Nexus, and it isn't because it's new.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
4.0.3 is not gonna fix the reception issue. I think if anything it will change the display. So instead of showing full 3G you wiill probably see more 2-3 bar 4G. Being back on my Rezound, i now have full 4G and insanely fast download speeds. I still like the Nexus but i really feel like Sammy dropped the ball hardware wise. Nevertheless, i would still recommend it. ICS is pretty sweet. Can't wait to load it up on my phone in the future.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This phone has virtually identical radio hardware, CDMA and LTE, to the Droid Charge, which many of my friends/coworkers have and it works just fine. My coworker's Charge is consistently 10-20dBm better in reception than my phone, and he never drops calls.

Something's wrong with the Nexus, and it isn't because it's new.

Did you not read my later post? The Charge was updated right before this phone was released. The next update has new radios in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact radio configuration that was pushed to the Charge right before this phone came out. How hard is it for people to understand this?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
4.0.3 is not gonna fix the reception issue. I think if anything it will change the display. So instead of showing full 3G you wiill probably see more 2-3 bar 4G. Being back on my Rezound, i now have full 4G and insanely fast download speeds. I still like the Nexus but i really feel like Sammy dropped the ball hardware wise. Nevertheless, i would still recommend it. ICS is pretty sweet. Can't wait to load it up on my phone in the future.

Huh? This makes absolutely no sense? They've said that the Nexus is the only phone that shows the true 4G signal, so that means your Rezound is lying to you as well.

I get insanely fast download speeds as well and have no reception issues at all. In fact over the last week I've noticed that I've been getting better signal. I used to never be able to hold 4G in my house on this phone, now I seem to have 4G more than half the time when I turn WiFi off.