Ya'll ever feel like ICS is a step backwards?

butchyon

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I do. Case in point. I migrated here from an original DInc. To create a shortcut to a file stored anywhere on my DInc, I simply long-pressed the screen, and a drop-down menu provided a "Create Shortcut" option. Then selected Astro and navigated to that file, and presto, the shortcut to that file was created on that screen. Took about 5 seconds and 3 clicks! CREATING A SHORTCUT TO ANY FILE ON YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE THAT FREAKIN' EASY!! Now in ICS, when you long-press the screen, all you can do is select a wallpaper.
So people tell me that wasn't an Android feature, but rather a feature of HTC's Sense skin. If that's true, then HTC got it right and Google hasn't yet. The point here is that ICS was advertised as making the OS more user-friendly. I think they may have made some things a lot harder... :(

Last edited:

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I do. Case in point. I migrated here from an original DInc. To create a shortcut to a file stored anywhere on my DInc, I simply long-pressed the screen, and a drop-down menu provided a "Create Shortcut" option. Then selected Astro and navigated to that file, and presto, the shortcut to that file was created on that screen. Took about 5 seconds and 3 clicks! CREATING A SHORTCUT TO ANY FILE ON YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE THAT FREAKIN' EASY!! Now in ICS, when you long-press the screen, all you can do is select a wallpaper.
So people tell me that wasn't an Android feature, but rather a feature of HTC's Sense skin. If that's true, then HTC got it right and Google ain't got a clue. The point here is that ICS was advertised as making the OS more user-friendly. I think they may have made it harder... :(

Long press was a part of stock android. To add widgets or shortcuts etc.. you would long press the screen and do exactly as you said. Long press is no longer a part of android the way it was before. It is different. I dont find it any harder to add things to my home screen....just different. The problem is people have been doing it one way for 2 or 3 years and now cant adapt or simply dont want to. The whole os is different. It does not much resemble older versions of android.....and I love it, I just had to get used to it.

mjd9ball

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about what other issues @butchyon has with ICS. Personally if I make and change so many shortcuts to files that it throws off the whole OS experience then I should look for another one. There are definitely some pros and cons, but early adopters inherently accept the role of beta/UAT so send Google some feedback and see how things pan out...

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I agree the jump to ICS has had the most changes in any android operating system since I have been on android phones( orginal Dinc was my first with the Eclair Operating System ) .Its like relearning some stuff all over again but I have no complaints about the changes.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
A step in the wrong direction maybe for nerds who do this kind of thing (no offense; I'm there with you), but ICS is more approachable and does more to reveal functionality that has been there all along, but maybe wasn't obvious to most.

Removing the long-press is a perfect example. Most people don't know to long press certain UI elements to get a pop-up menu with even more options, most of which are fairly cryptically named and are confusing.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not a step backward, it's just different.
Now you go to the app launcher, and then tap on Widgets. You'll find all the shortcuts there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with JKK. I've said time and time again that ICS is perfect for the person who has never used Android before. It does take some relearning for those of us that had Froyo and GB devices prior to this, however the more ways there are to do one thing, the more difficult it is for the average person.

Like Phil said on Mobile Nations, prior to ICS if someone asked how to do something, he would have to decide which one of the 5 ways he should tell them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
There are some things that need to be remembered when going from a heavily skinned phone to stock android. While I don't like OEM skins, they do add functionality that people get used to, and wind up expecting of their phones. This shortcut thing doesn't really fall there, this really is an ICS vs every other version issue, but I feel like it's worth mentioning. Also, I feel like anybody who buys a nexus and isn't willing to make changes is buying it for the wrong reasons. I'm not going to take the "stop complaining" route that tends to happen here, but I will recommended that you try out some different customizations that are out there. Embrace what you like, and find alternatives for what you don't.

Reactions: jroc

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Last night I decided to download an app to be able to create text icons. Most times when I switched back and forth between the app and my home screen to place the icon, it would have to refresh the app causing me to lose the icon I had just done. Making it many times more time consuming a task.

I still do not understand how each and every one of you aren't in an uproar about what pretty much every smart phone including previous androids have that we don't.

Secondary screen...
185dbd5b-871c-8ae3.jpg

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with JKK. I've said time and time again that ICS is perfect for the person who has never used Android before. It does take some relearning for those of us that had Froyo and GB devices prior to this, however the more ways there are to do one thing, the more difficult it is for the average person.

Like Phil said on Mobile Nations, prior to ICS if someone asked how to do something, he would have to decide which one of the 5 ways he should tell them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

That was a problem with older versions of android.....i started with 2.0.....that was my first android experience and it did not take me long to figure out all the quirks and different ways of getting around android.....i never noticed the difficulty level for the average user till i had a female friend get an android phone. She was constantly asking me how to do things and I was having a hard time explaining it all in a way that would have some consistency with the other things I was telling her because....well....there was not a while lot of consistency. I loved my old android phones....but im totally onboard with ICS...yeah its different....but I dont mind change.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That was a problem with older versions of android.....i started with 2.0.....that was my first android experience and it did not take me long to figure out all the quirks and different ways of getting around android.....i never noticed the difficulty level for the average user till i had a female friend get an android phone. She was constantly asking me how to do things and I was having a hard time explaining it all in a way that would have some consistency with the other things I was telling her because....well....there was not a while lot of consistency. I loved my old android phones....but im totally onboard with ICS...yeah its different....but I dont mind change.

Do apps and browsers having to reload/refresh not bother you at all?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If you want to long press on a screen to place apps on the screen then simply install the Nova launcher. It retains the ICS look and feel and adds features like the one you requested.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So people tell me that wasn't an Android feature, but rather a feature of HTC's Sense skin. If that's true, then HTC got it right and Google ain't got a clue. The point here is that ICS was advertised as making the OS more user-friendly. I think they may have made it harder... :(

It is not difficult to do things like create shortcuts on ICS. It is just different.

In the world of technology if you don't like change you will have to keep your old phones and computers.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Do apps and browsers having to reload/refresh not bother you at all?

Do you mean from a multi tasking standpoint? I dont really have a problem with it or maybe i just dont notice it. For instance i just used my multi tasking soft key to go my flashlight app, then hit twitter, then to gmail, and then back to browser to finish writing this post after my wife needed me to check some stuff. It went pretty quick and painless and when i got back here my first zentence was till there and my browser didnt need to reload. I understand that games and some other things open as if they are being newly opened as opposed to suspended or in waiting...but that doesnt bother me.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Last night I decided to download an app to be able to create text icons. Most times when I switched back and forth between the app and my home screen to place the icon, it would have to refresh the app causing me to lose the icon I had just done. Making it many times more time consuming a task.

It could be that the app you downloaded isn't yet optimized for ICS. I have never come across a time when my apps/widgets needed to redraw, other than when the phone is booting up.

I still do not understand how each and every one of you aren't in an uproar about what pretty much every smart phone including previous androids have that we don't.

Please list the missing features that you would like us to get upset about. I would love to hear what I should be in an uproar about.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It could be that the app you downloaded isn't yet optimized for ICS. I have never come across a time when my apps/widgets needed to redraw, other than when the phone is booting up.

Please list the missing features that you would like us to get upset about. I would love to hear what I should be in an uproar about.

This^ what exactly are we missing that we used to have?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan