Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: low signal strength?

Incredible -78 to -83
Nexus (3G only) -87 to -98

I've maintaining 1 bar less than the Inc (not that you can really go by that) but speed and call quality is fine. Think we may see a patch about it though, who knows.

That's the thing. Even if the signal isn't the best, as long as speed and call quality aren't affected it doesn't mean much.

I just pulled 16 down and my dBm was at -103. I have NEVER gotten speeds that fast in my house since the network first launched in my area with the Thunderbolt a year ago. (my street is on a network 'bubble' for all networks, so we tend not to get good indoor signal)

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

order mine from amazon, currently on droid razr(exchanging due to hotspot issues).

I get -75 to -84 in my house with the razr. My computer desk is all metal and when I move to my bed I get -75 to -79 and on my desk it is constant at -84.

I will compare this to Nexus when I get it. I am in a very good 4g coverage area. I get 10-20 download and 5-15 upload speeds.

I have thirty days to send back the razr after I recieve the GN, so If I have radio issues I might keep the razr, but I doubt I will have that issue since I seem to get a decent signal even inside my house.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

GN with LTE or = -120dBm, 99asu

GN on 3G = flip flopping between -100dBm, 1asu and -93dBm, 2 asu

DX = flip flopping between -89dBm, 0asu and -93dBm, 0asu

Ok the dB part I got. But what role does the asu play?

Superguy25

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Did that. The bionic and my charge have about -86 while the nexus is -100 to -120. Considerably weaker signal. Consitenly about give or take -20 higher number.

Consistent with mine. I have a Rezound and I was consistently at -87db in my house. Side by side, the GNex is at -107dB while the Rezound is at -87dB.

Glad it's not just me.

Superguy25

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

That's the thing. Even if the signal isn't the best, as long as speed and call quality aren't affected it doesn't mean much.

I just pulled 16 down and my dBm was at -103. I have NEVER gotten speeds that fast in my house since the network first launched in my area with the Thunderbolt a year ago. (my street is on a network 'bubble' for all networks, so we tend not to get good indoor signal)

I'm going to give it some more time, but with what I downloaded so far, my Rezound was noticeably faster.

bennolen

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Similar problems here.

Had a RAZR for a month. Here at my house, we are fairly rural. But the RAZR gets 2-3 bars, -90dBm 0 asu and is totally usable (3G only at the house).

The GN is 0-1 bar, -100-120dBm 1asu. When it's getting 120dBm, it's unusable. I can't get a call out.
Loving the GN, but can't keep a phone with no signal at my house.

Sadly, I had a Sprint Epic Touch Galaxy S2. It had it's own radio problems as well (regular loss of signal). Bought it at launch time (2 months ago) and they just rolled out a fix for it this week.

I really wish this Nexus was a Moto and not a Samsung. I have much higher regard for Moto quality.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Similar problems here.

Had a RAZR for a month. Here at my house, we are fairly rural. But the RAZR gets 2-3 bars, -90dBm 0 asu and is totally usable (3G only at the house).

The GN is 0-1 bar, -100-120dBm 1asu. When it's getting 120dBm, it's unusable. I can't get a call out.
Loving the GN, but can't keep a phone with no signal at my house.

Sadly, I had a Sprint Epic Touch Galaxy S2. It had it's own radio problems as well (regular loss of signal). Bought it at launch time (2 months ago) and they just rolled out a fix for it this week.

I really wish this Nexus was a Moto and not a Samsung. I have much higher regard for Moto quality.

But there's something that the Nexus has that the Razr won't: Frequent updates. Google and Verizon will keep updating the radios until they're perfect, instead of waiting for one big 'fix it all' update like we're seeing with the Bionic and ET4G. It is much easier for them to update the Nexus on a frequent basis than the Razr.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to give it some time and not freak out about the signal, but if it isn't fixed by the time my return period ends I'm not sure what I'm going to do. For now I'm just going to chill and watch an HD movie on my GNex and enjoy what works! Fortunatly I still have my Tbolt for everything else.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Fixes will come and they will be quick. Think weeks instead of months. They will handle it and all will be great. Hate to say it but its part of owning a nexus. You will have more updates than you will care for.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

davesax36

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

-93 2 asu... it was -100 a minute ago, and -120 all last night. Plus, I don't know what ASU is, so I'll go look that up.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Keep in mind Motorola has been in the radio business for 40 years or so.

When a Samsung phone gets as good of reception as a Motorola phone they will have as good of screens as Samsung ie never.

There are probably still huge improvements to be made on the software side but that will never affect the hardware and it's integration. I really wouldn't worry about it if the phone works for you, if you have issues with where you live or work you may want to look elsewhere.

awdtsi

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

My 4g signal was pretty bad all day yesterday ranging from -93 to -110 in my house and around town. Before I went to bed I checked and I was at -110. I woke up this morning to 4 bars and -73! Overnight something happened and my speed went from about 5mbs in my house to 14mbs this morning. Im in NW Ohio if it matters. Verizon may be aware of this issue already and possible tweaking the towers?

MrCheeky

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a fair warning (low reception)

I had a Nexus S 4G, and I had the same terrible reception this phone seems to be getting. They promised fixes for months and months and never delivered, finally admitting it was a hardware problem. I say this not to scare you, but I wanted to give everyone a fair warning for those that have an unusable phone. If you get to your 14 days and it's still not fixed, you may want to look elsewhere.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just a fair warning (low reception)

i have low bars. But have no worries. Im sure its just cause 4g is hit or miss. a bar or two of 4G is alot better than 3G at full strength. As far as other phones go..NEVER! lol

hitem20

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Did not read through this entire thread so excuse me if it has been said.

I was getting 1-2 bars in my basement, turned off LTE and I had full bars right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton