Galaxy Nexus and Ford SYNC Phone Problems

ljbiggs

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble getting my GNEX to take advantage of all the features of the Ford SYNC Phone functionality. I have a 2011 Ford F150 with SYNC Navigation. I am able to connect the phone via Bluetooth, I am able to stream music AND I am able to use my truck's speakers and mic to make and receive phone calls. That is it as far as the phone functions go. I cannot download the GNEX phonebook, call history or send/receive text messages.

The BB Storm II I used to have before my GNEX would download the phonebook (contacts) to SYNC as well as call history. I could then make calls straight from the SYNC Display on my dash (Ford 2011 Ford F150). It would also display the caller's name (Caller ID) on the in-dash SYNC display monitor when I received or placed a call. The GNEX won't do any of that - only let's me talk to a caller via Bluetooth.

Has anyone had any luck using SYNC's on screen phone functions and text messaging with a bluetooth paired GNEX?

Thanks,
Lloyd

rog152

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I sell Fords. When I get to work tomorrow I will sync my GNEX to a new F-150 and see how far I get and report back.

cali.grrl

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I did a search and cannot find a resolution to the text compatibility issue with Sync. Can someone please post the link? I can't imagine that the Bionic works with this feature and they wouldn't have the GN work with it.

Thanks in advance!

:) Charlotte

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I too have a Ford F150 FX4 Loaded with Sync and Nav... I have everything working BUT txt messages. To your point, my DroidX worked with TXT messages as well... but I'm unable to get the Gnex to do the TXT Thing via Sync...

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2010 Focus with Sync. My GNex works with everything but texts as well.

I think that the specific bluetooth profile needed for texts is only included on motorola phones for whatever reason. My RAZR can do it (not the Droid Razr, the original MOTO Razr V3), as well as a bunch of Moto Android phones, but that's about it.

I wonder how hard it would be to include the functionality in a third-party ROM

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Samsung Droid Charge paired with a 2011 Ford Fusion. My old phone was an LG ENV (not a smartphone) and all functions including text worked. With the Charge the music, voice AND phonebook all works. It won't do text though and my Ford just says "your device does not support text." I think it is just an issue with Samsung. Having a "smartphone" that won't do what an older "dumbphone" would do is, well, not very smart, is it?

ljbiggs

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all.

For OhioMoto - I did search before posting and the phonebook issues and caller ID not showing didn't come up. If you have a link to where it is covered, that would be great.

For Rickgsx - what year is your Ford F150 FX4? I am on business travel right now and Sync'd the GNEX with a 2012 Ford Edge I rented and it worked perfectly (except for text messaging - not supported). So now I am thinking it is either a year thing (my 2011 vs. 2012) OR something specific to my truck.

Thanks All!
L

muzicman61

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the GNEX with a 2008 Ford Focus and everything works except for text messages. Sounds like the phone does not support bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile). It worked on my Droid Bionic and my LG Cosmo. I would hope this could be added to a third party ROM..

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all.

For OhioMoto - I did search before posting and the phonebook issues and caller ID not showing didn't come up. If you have a link to where it is covered, that would be great.

For Rickgsx - what year is your Ford F150 FX4? I am on business travel right now and Sync'd the GNEX with a 2012 Ford Edge I rented and it worked perfectly (except for text messaging - not supported). So now I am thinking it is either a year thing (my 2011 vs. 2012) OR something specific to my truck.

Thanks All!
L

Sorry... I thought I put the year in there... but my Ford F150 FX4 is a 2011... do you have any thoughts...?

ljbiggs

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey Rick. No luck so far. But it is good to know you have been able to download your GNEX phonebook to your 2011 Ford with SYNC Nav. I'll keep trying and let you if I find out anything interesting.
Thanks for replying.
Lloyd

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
it's a Ford... there's your problem. :D

Don't want this to turn into a car vs car debate, but Ford makes some pretty awesome reliable stuff now. Year after year they've been improving, starting with the '08 models. And for tech buffs like us, they package a ton of tech into their cars for not much more than the base price. If I was going to buy American, it would be Ford. I'd be meh about GM, and I wouldn't even touch Chrysler with a 10-foot pole.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't want this to turn into a car vs car debate, but Ford makes some pretty awesome reliable stuff now. Year after year they've been improving, starting with the '08 models. And for tech buffs like us, they package a ton of tech into their cars for not much more than the base price. If I was going to buy American, it would be Ford. I'd be meh about GM, and I wouldn't even touch Chrysler with a 10-foot pole.

yeah i'm just goofin. I'm sure their new vehicles are pretty decent. I'm pro anything that it good really, lol.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Try this... just worked for me on the Galaxy S2 and my 2012 Mustang:

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and had the same trouble with it not receiving text messages. Here's how to fix it. You must do this in this order for it to work. You must have your phone paired with SYNC before doing this.

1, In SYNC, got to SYSTEM SETTINGS, ADVANCED, MAP PROFILE. Set MAP PROFILE to ON

2. In the PHONE SETTINGS Menu in SYNC, go to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION. Set to ON

3. Once these are done. Exit the system.

4. Now have your phone in your hand and get someone to send you a text message. I simply used the phone and requested my data usage, which in turn gets the carrier to send you a text message. Keep watching the phone for the text message to arrive. You will see a prompt on your phone that says something like, SYNC is requesting text messages through Bluetooth. Make sure Always Allow is checked and hit OK on your phone.

5. You can now send and receive text messages.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2010 Fusion (different version of SYNC) and it pairs flawlessly. Many HTC devices (devices with Sense) have difficulty pairing with Fords due to the Facebook for HTC Sync app running in the background, but if you disable that (you lose friendstream capability but retain Facebook capability) then it syncs no problem.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Try this... just worked for me on the Galaxy S2 and my 2012 Mustang:

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and had the same trouble with it not receiving text messages. Here's how to fix it. You must do this in this order for it to work. You must have your phone paired with SYNC before doing this.

1, In SYNC, got to SYSTEM SETTINGS, ADVANCED, MAP PROFILE. Set MAP PROFILE to ON

2. In the PHONE SETTINGS Menu in SYNC, go to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION. Set to ON

3. Once these are done. Exit the system.

4. Now have your phone in your hand and get someone to send you a text message. I simply used the phone and requested my data usage, which in turn gets the carrier to send you a text message. Keep watching the phone for the text message to arrive. You will see a prompt on your phone that says something like, SYNC is requesting text messages through Bluetooth. Make sure Always Allow is checked and hit OK on your phone.

5. You can now send and receive text messages.

Ok, I did step 1 and the MAP Profile was set to off, so I set it to ON. When I try to do step 2 and turn Message Notification on I get an error on my screen saying Handset Not Supported. When you refer to step 2, I want to be sure you are still referring to the SYNC settings in the car, and not something on the phone. My phone does not have a SYNC menu, just Bluetooth where you can connect a SYNC device. I have the Charge so maybe the Nexus works. I was hoping the same process would work for the Charge.

djs1995

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a ford 2009 f150 and gnex. The phone sync worked and I was able to download my phonebook; however, not all of my contacts came over. I use MS Outlook/Exchange server and sync my contacts onto my phone. This worked perfectly with m BB Storm II. The ford sync website suggested : "If SYNC confirms your Phonebook Download is Complete, but it is empty or missing contacts, it could be the phonebook contacts are stored on the mobile phone's SIM card. Follow your phone manual's directions to move them from the SIM card to the phone's internal memory. Once they are moved, try re-downloading your Phonebook to SYNC" I don't know how to do this, or any other suggetions??

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2010 Ford Flex, everything works with my GNEX, except texting.....

I take that back now. I can no longer play audio, The phone (VZW Galaxy Nexus 4.02, stock) pairs fine with Sync (Phone and Media). The bluetooth phone functions work fine, but now I get no audio when playing audio via bluetooth. Wiped the GNEX, same issue, factory reset Sync etc...same issue, pairs, phone thinks audio is playing. nothing. Tried it in my wife's 2008 Edge, phone pairs and all features work fine (except text). Tried my son's GNEX, same issue, syncs, no audio. Pulled radio/Sync fuses, no change.

Any idea's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome