are there any foreign countries where a VZW CDMA GN can roam?

stopswitch

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
are there any foreign countries where a VZW CDMA GN can roam?

I realize it can be used as a Wi-Fi-only device, of course. :)

Pretty sure no one else uses CDMA besides the US and Canada. Unfortunately I believe Verizon uses a weird spectrum for their LTE service, considering all of the US carriers LTE phones will not work on other carriers bands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

plumhead

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
CDMA is in Japan.

Yeah I was actually wondering about that. I'm going to Japan in August and am trying to figure out whether my phone will work or not. I know that they do run on CDMA but I heard that it's a different frequency. If not it's not a HUGE deal since my fiancee will have her att iphone so we'll still be able to make calls, I'm just hoping that I'll be able to play with google wallet some more :-D

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I was roaming without trouble with a verizon thunderbolt while I was in Ukraine (via the carrier cdmaukraine iirc). About 40 countries have cmda service including china and Pakistan for example.

Reactions: barley culiner

skarletknite

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
in my experience wont work in japan, unless something has changed recently. i was in canada last week and my verizon gn roams ok...but verizon crushes you on the bill. i did get a warning message after using a certain amount of data

plumhead

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
in my experience wont work in japan, unless something has changed recently. i was in canada last week and my verizon gn roams ok...but verizon crushes you on the bill. i did get a warning message after using a certain amount of data

Does Verizon have some sort of international plan that you can turn on when you know that you will be roaming like ATT does?

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site

My wife's Droid Inc received roaming charges in Japan.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Gnex has dual band cdma, and it should work in northern and central americaand some asian countries. But the thing is... simcard has country lock, so u need codefrom verizon to unlock it.

Last edited:

jackrv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Does Verizon have some sort of international plan that you can turn on when you know that you will be roaming like ATT does?

Yes they do. We use it all the time for our worker's VZW Blackberries and iPhones when they travel. They call it international data roaming.

Have not used it with any 4G phones. Only my coworker and I have Galaxy Nexii through the company, and they don't send us anywhere :(

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
When I traveled to New Zealand last year I brought my OG to use on wifi. I unexpectedly received text messages while I was there. I assume that since text and voice use the same network voice would work there as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay