Anyone else having issues streaming music (stops playing)

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Pandora, Slacker and Spotify all stop streaming, or start to have breaks in the music until they eventually do stop streaming, a short time after the screen turns off (maybe one or two songs). It's incredibly annoying, and a massive oversight on the part of Google/Samsung that this phone can't seem to handle this most basic of functionality.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas on how to get around this problem? I've had two Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones (both on stock 4.0.2 ROM) with this same exact problem. Streaming is on a WIFI connection, phone not plugged in to charger.

Streaming with the display on seems like less of a problem, but I need to test that theory more thoroughly.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
To add to this: when the streaming music starts to stutter, if I click the button to turn on the display, the stutter stops and the music goes back to streaming smoothly. So it's definitely related to the display going to sleep. Seems like an ICS or Galaxy Nexus bug that Google can and should address.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
What wireless settings do you have and are you plugged in.

Against the norm, I have wireless set to turn on and off while sleeping unless I'm plugged.

I sleep to in tunes every night and it streams fine.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
In addition to streaming... local audio (audio stored on phone) will stop playing after a long time. Audio books and podcats will stop after playing for a period of time (around 20 min or so).

aleis

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
From what I read, it may have something to do with Google Listen. Do you have that installed?
If so you may want to hit STOP for it. Then try and see.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's a problem with the apps. I don't have this problem using Google Music. I haven't tried it with other Pandora because, well, I hate Pandora.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have this issue with both Google Music and Listen when I'm streaming over bluetooth in my car. The song or podcast will randomly stop playing. It doesn't happen often, but frequently enough for me to notice it the other day.

Before we all start screaming that the sky is falling, remember that we have the 4.0.3 update on the way and that might fix it. If it doesn't, then we can start dispensing the pitchforks and torches. Or just hit the play button when it happens.

Jumper_jax

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem but I think its related to signal dropping. I don't drop signal often, but it does happen sometimes for 30 seconds or so and that will stop the stream. It picks up again when signal restores though.

At work it stops sometimes because the wifi terms reset and I have to reaccept them every hour or so.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have this issue with both Google Music and Listen when I'm streaming over bluetooth in my car. The song or podcast will randomly stop playing. It doesn't happen often, but frequently enough for me to notice it the other day.

Before we all start screaming that the sky is falling, remember that we have the 4.0.3 update on the way and that might fix it. If it doesn't, then we can start dispensing the pitchforks and torches. Or just hit the play button when it happens.

I had this problem with google music and listen as well. According to people online, it was due to the Listen process that was causing the random pausing. After I uninstalled Listen and switched to pocket casts, I have had no random pauses in google music or pocket casts.

Try uninstalling Google Listen or stopping the Listen process under apps and give it a try.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
i havent had this issue either. I stream for at least an hour everyday at the gym and never had it happen. Granted, i only use spotify and google music and netflix.

Reactions: yosteve

elkniwcire

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep uninstalling listen will fix it. I have also heard that Rhapsody causes the same issue. So uninstall Rhapsody if you have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an app on your device to conserve battery life (like Juice Defender)? If so the app is turning off your radio's to converse battery life and that's dropping your signal stream.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally just tune in on all night, it kept going accept test message alerts seem to want to turn the volume down on it. By morning it was playing with the volume totally down.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem when listening to music on the phone itself with "only offline music" checked and this happens to me.

btw, I never heard of google listen until this thread, its never been on my phone.

I installed winamp music player and same issue.

LenBattell

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Well posted +Bob61. I have recently installed DS Battery Saver on my Nexus 7. I could not understand why my Nexus 7 was switching off while playing music on Spotify. Switching off DS Battery Saver while playing music now appears to have solved the problem. Thank you for your advice.:)

thangbom

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem when listening to music on the phone itself with "only offline music" checked and this happens to me.

btw, I never heard of google listen until this thread, its never been on my phone.

I installed winamp music player and same issue.
Same problem here since 4-5 days ago. I am using Samsung Galaxy S4, running Wanamlite's ROM, and every time my wifi lost signal (or gets the signal again), the music PLAYBACK stops, which is very annoying. Still do not figure out what causes the problem

Sharon Yates

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Lately while listening to music on my phone it abruptly stops and gives an error message saying it has to stop playing. I have to go to play music, look up what I was listening to and start over. I followed your advice about Google Listen and disabled it. So far it has played four songs without stopping. I really pray it has solved the problem. Originally, I thought it was doing it because, I accidentally dropped the phone in water about 2 months ago. Thanks for helping.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz