I'm out of town (luckily using a brand new Razr as my new work device) and my wife today returned my GNex due to horrible display banding at low brightness levels.

While I'm glad we tried this as the replacement GNex hardly has any of the display banding (really it was more Kirk the newspaper looking print blotches that appeared static under white backgrounds) . I haven't seen the replacement yet but my wife knows the issue well and supposedly the replacement doesn't have the purplish greys or yellowish tint either.

The replacement was said to be new as we tried to replace it on the final day of the extended return policy January fifteenth. But the store near us wouldn't replace it I had to call corporate and work out a deal with them and the local store.

While supposedly the replacement is brand new it came with 4.0.2 installed as my wife didn't install the update and over GTalk chat she showed me the new phone, box, etc. All seems new but for the phone with 4.0.2 installed apparently from the factory.

Has anyone seen 4.0.2 installed by by default? The brand new work Razr had to be updated as expected.

I'm leery about the replacement GNex being truly new with 4.0.2 installed. Also adding in the fact that the store didn't the day before want to replace it (they said I'd have to mail it in, wait weeks for refurbished replacement).

Corporate vzw called the local store, worked out a swap for us. The store was waiting for us, had the replacement waiting for my wife. I'm hoping they didn't give us their previous demo or something. They were giving such a hard time on the fifteenth .... though they said they could clearly see the display was defective.

Does anyone know if new GNex models have been arriving with 4.0.2 installed out of the box?

Thanks

PS : on the fifteenth my wife returned her Razr due to the Maxx on tap for a release within 10 or so days. Perhaps the Razr return is why they didn't want to also swap the GNex though that doesn't seem right (the store denied a Maxx, then one guy when I showed them the moto site said it would be super thick n heavy, anything to keep from returning. Hoping the replacement GNex is decent and new...

Sent from my work DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    01-17-2012 12:04 AM
    I'm out of town (luckily using a brand new Razr as my new work device) and my wife today returned my GNex due to horrible display banding at low brightness levels.

While I'm glad we tried this as the replacement GNex hardly has any of the display banding (really it was more Kirk the newspaper looking print blotches that appeared static under white backgrounds) . I haven't seen the replacement yet but my wife knows the issue well and supposedly the replacement doesn't have the purplish greys or yellowish tint either.

The replacement was said to be new as we tried to replace it on the final day of the extended return policy January fifteenth. But the store near us wouldn't replace it I had to call corporate and work out a deal with them and the local store.

While supposedly the replacement is brand new it came with 4.0.2 installed as my wife didn't install the update and over GTalk chat she showed me the new phone, box, etc. All seems new but for the phone with 4.0.2 installed apparently from the factory.

Has anyone seen 4.0.2 installed by by default? The brand new work Razr had to be updated as expected.

I'm leery about the replacement GNex being truly new with 4.0.2 installed. Also adding in the fact that the store didn't the day before want to replace it (they said I'd have to mail it in, wait weeks for refurbished replacement).

Corporate vzw called the local store, worked out a swap for us. The store was waiting for us, had the replacement waiting for my wife. I'm hoping they didn't give us their previous demo or something. They were giving such a hard time on the fifteenth .... though they said they could clearly see the display was defective.

Does anyone know if new GNex models have been arriving with 4.0.2 installed out of the box?

Thanks

PS : on the fifteenth my wife returned her Razr due to the Maxx on tap for a release within 10 or so days. Perhaps the Razr return is why they didn't want to also swap the GNex though that doesn't seem right (the store denied a Maxx, then one guy when I showed them the moto site said it would be super thick n heavy, anything to keep from returning. Hoping the replacement GNex is decent and new...

Sent from my work DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    It is very possible they have been updating the phones in stores, or shipping them from their DCs to stores already updated. You shouldn't worry about it. The phone has been out for a month, so this isn't that odd.
    01-17-2012 12:13 AM
    i just got my gnex today brand new and it had 4.0.2 on it when i cracked the box.
    01-17-2012 12:29 AM
    Thanks for the replies and seems my new replacement phone just like "edizzle's" arrived with 4.0.2 out of the box (again I'm out of town and my wife swapped out the phone , so while I new from having her check once home it was on 4.0.2 without her noticing an update I feel better knowing likely it is brand new as should be and simply came with 402 installed) .

Hoping I won't see any of the horrible newspaper print like splotches on white backgrounds with the replacement GNex.
    01-19-2012 01:35 AM
    Thanks for the replies and seems my new replacement phone just like "edizzle's" arrived with 4.0.2 out of the box (again I'm out of town and my wife swapped out the phone , so while I new from having her check once home it was on 4.0.2 without her noticing an update I feel better knowing likely it is brand new as should be and simply came with 402 installed) .

Hoping I won't see any of the horrible newspaper print like splotches on white backgrounds with the replacement GNex.
    Just replaced mine for banding too. Go new phone yesterday and it had the 402 pre installed too. Mine was clearly new and from telesales so shipped to my door. My signal is way better too on the new phone...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-19-2012 11:07 AM
    Ive exchanged 3 gn's. They all have banding. The most recent one came with 402 preinstalled.
    01-19-2012 12:07 PM
    Hopefully my wife is right when she says the replacement doesn't have the banding and if extra lucky it will receive a better signal as well.

More than banding my first one had the newspaper looking like splotches under a white background.

I was going to return it and wait to see how the next update goes as far as the camera but because I tried and returned a Bionic in September they wouldn't allow a return of the GNex (though the bionic was returned due to fact it couldn't hold a 3g signal) .
    01-19-2012 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD