If you switched from the iPhone to the GN... why?

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
(If you switched from the iPhone to the GN... why?)

I would like to know the reasons why?

I though the iPhone was perfect? ;)

I have never owned one (iPhone) so, I guess I am curious whats on the other side...am I missing something?

I had a friend switch ( to iPhone) and he loves it so much better.... He did have a mac and iPad.

I do own an GN and love it!!! :)

walkingtaco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing I can't do on a nexus that I could do with an iPhone but there's lots I can do with it that the iPhone can't .
Had an iPhone 4 for a while coming off a Droid Eris. Didn't hold a candle to this phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone ever was an iPhone and wow did it change my life. I adored it with a passion but it was all I knew about smartphone. When I moved to a smaller town that didn't support AT&T at the time, and only Verizon, I had to switch. I chose the OG droid when it first came out (before iPhone was on Verizon of course) and fell in love. It was a better made phone, had a great display, and the best part was how much customization I could do. I never had major issues with that phone and had it two full years till I just switched to the Nexus. But with the iPhone, I remember dropping it once and the screen cracked. The Droid? Hell I would get angry over some phone calls and throw my phone outside into rocks and it didn't do anything to it. I love my Nexus and while I don't think its as tough a phone as the OG droid, it has to be better then the frail iPhone. There is no going back, unless iPhone gets a bigger screen, 4G speeds (I live in a big city again) and a better UI (iOS is incredibly boring and ugly).

Long live my Nexus!

Brethauer04

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I used many, many Android devices for years, then back in October got got an iPhone 4. Its a solid phone, but as we all know, Apple owns you once you own one of their devices. Screen res on iPhone and battery are the best things about it, and Instagram if you're into Social Networking. Apple lured me in, but my love affair did not last long. Back to Android I went, and will probably never turn away again.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Probably because of stuff like this...Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak may have waited in line for the release of new iPhones, but he says there are ways Android has leaped ahead of iPhone.

"The people I recommend the iPhone 4S for are the ones who are already in the Mac world, because it's so compatible, and people who are just scared of computers altogether and don't want to use them. "

Woz concedes Android advantages over iPhone | Apple - CNET News

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Had the 4S and the main reasons I switched were:

-4G LTE
-Bigger Screen
-Real multitasking (let's keep this civil :p )
-Customization

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Last week i switched from an iPhone 4S to my Nexus.

Main reason: on the iPhone if you attempt to download any file or even app that is larger than 20MB is size you cannot do it unless you are usibg wifi. Not allowed on cellular network. Thats absurd!!

Also i like the bigger screen, the iphone screen is nice but too small for my liking.

The ONLY advantage of the iPhone IMO is the camera......their camera cannot be beat.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
(If you switched from the iPhone to the GN... why?)

I would like to know the reasons why?

I though the iPhone was perfect? ;)

I have never owned one (iPhone) so, I guess I am curious whats on the other side...am I missing something?

I had a friend switch ( to iPhone) and he loves it so much better.... He did have a mac and iPad.

I do own an GN and love it!!! :)
It comes down to a choice in philosophy. While I would rather have a GS2 or a note on Android, my galaxy was right up there. I am doing clinical rotations so I need a phone that just works, has a battery of 20+ with moderate use, and is boring, but does the job fast, reliable, and well. With the nexus, I just wanted to play and flash ROMs until I was dead.....and that would be fine, because I like that sort of thing. Having used both devices, the boring ( okay, iOS auto predict and Siri make me LMFAO ) sometimes, but 99.99% of the time everything works flawless and at great quality. So for now, my philosophy is that of the 4s suiting my needs better at this present time.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know, can you clear your home screen and have interactive wallpaper in an iphone to make it look more computer out android or windows like?

seriously though using the term real multitasking should be banned until they fix it! :rolleyes:

azetoh

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I came from an old 3GS, and on iOS 5 that thing was laggy as ****! It was unbelievable how slowly the OS ran and how slow the apps loaded. I'm sure that the experience is better on newer phones, but that kind of performance on a phone that Apple still sells is unacceptable. Fanboys shouldn't complain about lag on android until they have used a 3GS on iOS5

The main reason I switched was because of the control over the user interface. The only way I was ever able to tolerate iOS was with a jailbreak and LOTS of custom packages that (as I realized later) brought in android features. Without the jailbreak, the user experience is so limited that you feel like the phone is telling you what to do. On android, most of the customizations I had on my iPhone either come stock or are available for download from the market without root. Much preferable.

After switching, the main advantage other that I found is screen size. You don't realize how freakin tiny the iPhone screen is until you have something that is almost more than an inch larger. Instead of one typical article on Engadget taking up 2 screens, it takes up one screen. So nice. Also, screen quality makes a gigantic difference. I wasn't on a retina device, but I took out my old 3GS and put it next to my Gnex and it made me laugh out loud about how large the pixels were and how not black the "blacks" were on the 3GS.

The only thing I miss is battery life. My old 3GS still gets longer on a charge than my Gnex, but I'm sure that software updates will come. Sure, the camera isn't as good, but if you actually care about camera quality that much, you would buy a camera not a smartphone. The benefits definitely outweigh the negatives

plop1920

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
iOS was damn good, and I upgraded from the 3gs. The main reason I switched was for LTE and a bigger screen, iphone is eventually going to get LTE but I don't think apple is going to make a 4.6 inch phone anytime soon ;)

belniente

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to a choice in philosophy. While I would rather have a GS2 or a note on Android, my galaxy was right up there. I am doing clinical rotations so I need a phone that just works, has a battery of 20+ with moderate use, and is boring, but does the job fast, reliable, and well. With the nexus, I just wanted to play and flash ROMs until I was dead.....and that would be fine, because I like that sort of thing. Having used both devices, the boring ( okay, iOS auto predict and Siri make me LMFAO ) sometimes, but 99.99% of the time everything works flawless and at great quality. So for now, my philosophy is that of the 4s suiting my needs better at this present time.

I got a smartphone for use in school/profession too (pharmacy) and I will admit that some app incompatibilities have been very frustrating (Micromedex whhhy). Fortunately I'm not quite on rotations yet so hopefully that will work itself out in time.

I've never had an iPhone, but for my first smartphone I went with Nexus over iPhone for many reasons already listed, most especially customizability. Widgets, live wallpapers, no iTunes, and multitasking were the biggest reasons for me.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I got a smartphone for use in school/profession too (pharmacy) and I will admit that some app incompatibilities have been very frustrating (Micromedex whhhy). Fortunately I'm not quite on rotations yet so hopefully that will work itself out in time.

I've never had an iPhone, but for my first smartphone I went with Nexus over iPhone for many reasons already listed, most especially customizability. Widgets, live wallpapers, no iTunes, and multitasking were the biggest reasons for me.

If the nexus is working for you, that is great! I loved mine....beautiful it was, but both mine were flawed. From the sounds of it, people have had much better experiences than I have with it, and that is great news. The iPhone is a fancy app tray with some really good voice assisted functions. Apple's iron fist no doubt makes for a seamless end user experience. I love how Android gives the end user a ton more when it comes to finishing the UI customization. Google is up to some amazing things, NFC is really cool, and the face unlock feature on my Nexus worked quite well. If you are getting what you need from it, awesome....there is no need to change;)

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
i actually have tweaked and tuned my iP 3GS to a nice place. it's what i consider 98% there for my uses.

but the last 2% are the real deal:
1 - a great screen that my aging eyes can read, and
2 - real google integration. my workarounds are bandaids really. afterall i am not a mac user. and itunes is the devil.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Had the 4S and the main reasons I switched were:

-4G LTE
-Bigger Screen
-Real multitasking (let's keep this civil :p )
-Customization
That about sums it up although I still assert that audio quality is the same between the two.

Now that I've had the GN for three weeks, I KNOW that I made a wise choice. Life may be easier with the iP, but life is better with the GN.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci