Low signal issue and weak volume--WTF?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
IN MY OPINION...it's a hardware problem. I have a few other smartphones laying around and when I had my Nexus, I put the same mp3 on all phones and the Nexus was clearly the quietest and also the poorest sounding. I installed Volume+ and it increased volume AND distortion. That's not a problem solver. It's a band-aid...a 3 day old second hand one at that.

It does sound like a defective unit. I get very loud sound without distortion. Just to be clear you need the full version of Volume+ not the free one.

I'd exchange the unit.

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It does sound like a defective unit. I get very loud sound without distortion. Just to be clear you need the full version of Volume+ not the free one.

I'd exchange the unit.

I guess I could have held out a little longer, but when I went to the Verizon store, I did a test with the display Nexus and it showed the same signal (db) and the speaker also sounded about as low as my unit. So in my mind, I chalked it up to hardware across the board.

I really do miss ICS, But "number of bars" and "db" rating aside, in real world use with the Nexus, I experienced what I felt were signal issues related to callers sounding choppy and dropped calls. I had never experienced it with a Verizon phone before.

I'm not trying to bash the Nexus. I feel that ICS is an amazing step from gingerbread, but for me, the battery, speaker, signal and a couple other issues ultimately made me decide to switch.

If I did have a defective unit and you guys are getting quality loud sound from the speaker on the Nexus, that's awesome. It really boils down to what you're happy with.

I was simply commenting on my experience with the Nexus. I might have tried another unit if I was having issues that nobody else was having, but in the first few days after the launch, there had to be at least 100 or more replies in different threads with people commenting on the signal and speaker issue. I just decided to try a different phone.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon already said other pushing out a patch to let the signal strength resemble the other phones on Verizon. Sources have said that the Galaxy Nexus is "on point" with signal when the measured it with the network. Even said its more accurate then other Verizon Phones. No issues here.

Volume is an issue. I think there pushing an update for that to eventually.

a6f84cb2-9bcb-6a49.jpg

That speed don't look bad with 1 bar right? That's the 4G LTE network. Not your friends eyephone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
IN MY OPINION...it's a hardware problem. I have a few other smartphones laying around and when I had my Nexus, I put the same mp3 on all phones and the Nexus was clearly the quietest and also the poorest sounding. I installed Volume+ and it increased volume AND distortion. That's not a problem solver. It's a band-aid...a 3 day old second hand one at that.

Not hardware. If Volume+ boosts the volume, then its purely a software issue . I have it installed. And I have no distortion. Don't bump it up so high.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been on this forum in ages, which you can tell by my post count/join date.

And since when does someone have to look at forums before buying a product? I didn't think I would have this major of problems buying Verizon's flagship phone let alone buying a Nexus phone which is suppose to be the best Android experience.

Edit: And I did look at the last 3 pages and saw NOTHING mentioning signal issues, the volume issue is not that important because I was able to "fix" it by a third party app, although it still seems to not make every sound come out the same in loudness.

And from doing some searching on Google, it seems the 4.0.3 update that got leaked there's an update in it for radio issues which have helped, but since its a unfinished build its still buggy when people flash it. I'm hoping when the 4.0.3 update goes mainstream that my signal issues go away, because as of now its downright horrible for Verizon's famous coverage everywhere. I had better service with AT&T on my iPhone 4S. Not to mention like I said in my OP that my buddy on Verizon using the 4S was getting full bars while I was getting 2. 2 freaking bars in the same spot as my friend, that is uncalled for, and quite frankly I'm a bit pissed. I'm stuck with the phone now, bought a 2 year warranty for it today.
There's this lovely thing called the SEARCH function for the forum. Had you used it, you would have found over a dozen threads that discuss signal. You would also know that there are NO actual signal issues.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-difference-replaced-gn.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...so-i-exchanged-my-nexus.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...u-without-signal-issues.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...n-my-gnex-speedtest-web.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ce-signal-issue-your-gn.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...bm-generic-signal-level.html?highlight=Signal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...o-exchanged-their-g-nex.html?highlight=Signal

And the mac-daddy thread, that pretty much blows any 'but it has signal issues!' whining out of the water:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-nexus-lte-signal-issue.html?highlight=Signal

Reactions: Nirvana328

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
there is def a radio issues my dx had data everwhere and my gn is very very spotty still like the phone but sucks when im driving and wanna surf the web

Your Droid X, isn't 4G LTE. You can't really compare the signal between the two phones.

Whether, you have one, bar, of all bars, it is still the same signal. It is a digital signal, so you either have one, or do not.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As for sound issue after running stock ics on my xoom wifi volume is lower then honeycomb. So my guess its a ics issue. As for signal issue try a bionic that was bad I cursed that phone my nexi is awesome spanks any current phone out there. U just can't beat a bloated, skin free phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
No signal issues here. With my Dinc in my apt. I would barely hold a signal and my data speeds were around 200kbps (3G) and I would regularly drop calls. My Nexus hasn't dropped a call (I'm at two bars but as soon as I walk outside I get four), my data speeds are regularly above 10mbps and I have yet to drop a call or 4G. P.S. I got my phone day one. My brother/roommate got his yesterday and is experiencing the same thing.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No signal issues here. With my Dinc in my apt. I would barely hold a signal and my data speeds were around 200kbps (3G) and I would regularly drop calls. My Nexus hasn't dropped a call (I'm at two bars but as soon as I walk outside I get four), my data speeds are regularly above 10mbps and I have yet to drop a call or 4G. P.S. I got my phone day one. My brother/roommate got his yesterday and is experiencing the same thing.

Congrats! :)

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
No signal issues here...I actually get more bars (which is impressive because the Nexus is truer) on my Nexus than I did with my og droid especially at work where my droid was always 1x. I dont live in a 4g area but do live just outside of one and am in it quite often. I have never had a problem holding 4g, even when I was in the farthest fringe island. My phone also has no issue switching back and forth.

I installed volume + the first day it was posted here. I have pretty much forgot that I ever had a volume issue or that I even had it installed.

Im pretty sure a bunch of you guys got bunk phones or are obsessed with what the signal bars say in relation to other phones. Regardless their are plenty of us who are enjoying a really great phone.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
2 bar on nexus = 4 bar on iphone.

Verizon will probably update with a patch to show the verizon's data.

Try both of you loading a website. Lets see who wins.

How will a patch that updates the number of bars shown on the phone improve download speeds?

Sent from my 4G Xoom using Tapatalk.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Do the bars really mean anything?

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

It is my understanding that the bars represent VOICE signal strength and have nothing to do with 3G or 4G signal strength. I've been in places with 4 bars but no data. I've also been in places where I have no voice signal, can't even call out, but have great data speed.

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that the bars represent VOICE signal strength and have nothing to do with 3G or 4G signal strength. I've been in places with 4 bars but no data. I've also been in places where I have no voice signal, can't even call out, but have great data speed.
On the GNex, the bars represent 3G/4G signal strength. Other phones, the bars represent the voice signal strength, but not the GNex.

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I also have signal loss from the iPhone 4 that I had. When I go hiking, the iPhone from Verizon would keep enough signal for me to play Pandora when in the woods with my dog. Now, no 3G(4G tower next to my house, but still not turned on yet after 9 months). Also, the sound is pretty low compared to other phones. My iPhone had very low speaker volume due to only one speaker on the bottom, like the SGN.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
On the GNex, the bars represent 3G/4G signal strength. Other phones, the bars represent the voice signal strength, but not the GNex.

If that's the case how do you explain when I can have 4 bars but neither the 3G nor 4G works?

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
2 bar on nexus = 4 bar on iphone.

Verizon will probably update with a patch to show the verizon's data.

Try both of you loading a website. Lets see who wins.

I tested both phones using Root Metric's Coverage Map app on both my GNex and an iPhone 4S. I compared the ten different speeds and every result was with the 4S on top. The 4S would oust my GNex by like 200-300 kbps. I'm very unpleased with the data rates my phone gets...

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I had 2 galaxy nexus phones, mine and my girlfriends to compare. Both were not very loud, but the signal issue is what we could not live with. Both had a low dbm signal as displayed under phone status as well as the bars, I don't go by bars. Low signal level drains the battery faster, and she exchanged hers for the rezound. I did a few days of comparison between the two and the rezound had about 20 dbm better signal. I did several speed tests and the rezound was consistently much faster. I got around 9 mbps on the gn, and 17 mbps on the rezound consistently. I forced them both to cdma and test results were the gn got around .4 mbps where the rezound got around 1.5 mbps. the battery lasted much better. I traded mine in and got the extended battery, something the gn doesn't really offer. The extended battery allows me to surf hard most of the day and still make it home with power. She was getting 27 hours estimated on hers. I hope somehow they resolve the signal issues, but I fear it is a hardware problem with the radio, and you can't fix all hardware problems with software. I do miss ICS, but we are suppose to get it on the rezound soon. I am not bashing the gn, I just believe when you commit to 2 years with a device you should have real information to make your decision. I don't have a phone ego, that's just the facts as I observed them. I traded mine in for the rezound and have no regrets.

yoitsjon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
All i know is my blunderbolt got 4g at my house consistantly and never dropped a call,,,the GN. Does not get 4g at my house amd im lucky to get 3g,,,,and easily have dropped 50% of my calls.also the texting on this fone sucks lotta keyboard lag..also volume button being opposite of the power button is stupid im always hitting the volume button un intentionally.So very UNIMPRESSED with my first Nexus fone...Where is the so called FAST GOOGLES UPDATES to correct the so many issues?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci