GPS LOCK (takes forever)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time and for the most part it locks on fast. I was in downtown Cincinnati and it didn't lock on for the entire hour home (well, I think I gave up half way). Not sure what was up with that.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I used to complain about Gps lock time before when I would turn Gps on when I needed it but now I just leave it on and judging by the battery stats it doesn't really use battery unless an app is actively using it.

Sent from the Nexus Galaxy far away...

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Try [URL="http://oldtimeblogger.com/wp/2011/05/30/acer-iconia-gps-how-to-make-it-work-1st-time/[/URL]

Edit: Sorry, I cut/pasted a link from another site that contained vigilink; trimmed URL above should be
http://oldtimeblogger.com/wp/2011/05/30/acer-iconia-gps-how-to-make-it-work-1st-time/

Covers indepth why you need to leave a GPS running for several minutes just one time to download positioning data on the satellites. After that, start up is very quick.

That's actually an unrelated issue.

Case in point, I work in a new city that is somewhat unfamiliar to me about 20 minutes from where I live and used to work. Every once in a while, I will use GPS navigation to find a new lunch spot to eat at. Day after day, it would take minutes for the GPS to lock on because I was only enabling the GPS radio when I needed navigation. In theory, that should only be necessary the first time I used it in that area. But it was every day.

Now that I leave GPS enabled at all times, the lock on is instant, every time. I've used it the last two days and it hasn't taken more than 1 second each time.

Brandon

bglidden1962

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem, and I downloaded the GPS Test app by Chartcross LTD, free version. In the settings there is a button to Clear the AGPS data, and another to Update the AGPS data. I cleared, then updated. Now, my GPS lock takes seconds where before it would take as long as 15 minutes! The Help that comes with the app suggested doing this if one's GPS takes a long time to lock.