Verizon "Certified Like-New Replacement" device....

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Got a warranty replacement from Verizon in the mail today for a GNexus that wouldn't play nice with any SIM I tried.

Anyway, the label inside the battery door looks different and lists the phone model as SCH-I515 V when compared to the GNex that I bought at Costco on release day which lists the model as SCH-I515 (without the V).

Does anyone have any idea what that means? Is it just to differentiate between warranty replacements and retail units?

The store rep that ordered the replacement for me assured me that these are not refurbs yet.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Got a warranty replacement from Verizon in the mail today for a GNexus that wouldn't play nice with any SIM I tried.

Anyway, the label inside the battery door looks different and lists the phone model as SCH-I515 V when compared to the GNex that I bought at Costco on release day which lists the model as SCH-I515 (without the V).

Does anyone have any idea what that means? Is it just to differentiate between warranty replacements and retail units?

The store rep that ordered the replacement for me assured me that these are not refurbs yet.

Maybe Verizon? Not sure tbh, but that would be my guess.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Could just indicate that its part of their replacement stock.

I also just looked at my label and under model it just says SCH-I515, but then in two other places it says I515V. So it could just be a newer label.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Certified Like New is a refurbished. They clean the insides up, replace the outside body and send them on out. I prefer to call them certified like used.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Certified Like New is a refurbished. They clean the insides up, replace the outside body and send them on out. I prefer to call them certified like used.

I had a "perceived" radio problem with my original Nexus (in which it lost total data connectivity and voice connectivity--while on the phone with VZW about the data issue...). They sent me a refurb. It has a multitude of problems, including proximity sensor issues, random screen jumps to the network settings screen when I disconnect from a call, odd behavior when attempting to work with notifications and odd phantom "screen touches" when I haven't actually touched the screen.

"Certified Like New" with Verizon equals "Certified Sucks" in my book. I have been less than impressed after years of complete satisfaction. And on top of being promised "overnight delivery" of the 2nd replacement (which I was promised would be new since I was supposed to get a new one the last time...), they screwed up and sent it 2nd day. This caused a huge problem for me since I have to be home to sign for it and have that nasty little thing called a "job" that I have to tend to.

I ordered my son a Nexus for his upgrade (as part of his Christmas gift) and it will be arriving with my 3rd Nexus. Now I'm wondering if I made a massive mistake with that gift........

Next time I have to reach out to Verizon about this, it will be two words: presidential complaint

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
If they keep sending you there cln replacements you should just give up. Verizon's cln replacements are our broken ones we send back. They do not send to Samsung for replacements. All they do is take our broken ones and turn them on and see if they work and send them out. I've had enough of there replacements to know this. Your best bet is to send it to Samsung and its the only way you will get a like new phone. Verizon say they do a 100 point inspection but I promise they do not. I've had ones with scratches all over the screen, green screen problems, screen burn in, Not nexus phones but other phones I've had in the past. Samsung will help you though.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If they keep sending you there cln replacements you should just give up. Verizon's cln replacements are our broken ones we send back. They do not send to Samsung for replacements. All they do is take our broken ones and turn them on and see if they work and send them out. I've had enough of there replacements to know this. Your best bet is to send it to Samsung and its the only way you will get a like new phone. Verizon say they do a 100 point inspection but I promise they do not. I've had ones with scratches all over the screen, green screen problems, screen burn in, Not nexus phones but other phones I've had in the past. Samsung will help you though.

+ 1 to this. I try and do everything I can to avoid playing phone roulette with cln devices. Keep sending the bad ones back, took 5 blackberry tours before someone took pity on me and sent me a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Not true. All returns for defects are sent to PCD to be refurbished. You can tell if you got a refurb if you have a white sticker underneath the battery that says 'PCD' plus a month/year of refurbishment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Many people shudder at the notion of receiving a refurbished device. I'm the opposite.. as I actually prefer refurbs. Despite what many people think, they're not phones taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled. The guts will be used parts, cannibalised parts from used devices etc... But the housing/casing will be new, the device gets its own QA treatment -vs- new devices which only samples from batches get the QA treatment, and if it weren't for the sticker under the battery, you'd never know.

It's funny, but people look at me cross-eyed when I actually request a refurb. But in my experience, refurbs tend to be more reliable.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Not true. All returns for defects are sent to PCD to be refurbished. You can tell if you got a refurb if you have a white sticker underneath the battery that says 'PCD' plus a month/year of refurbishment.

I have had 7 Samsung fascinates cln, 2 Droid charges, I'm telling you they are our broken phones. All fascinates had screen burn in and one had a green screen. The two Droid charges I had, had scratches all over the screen and one had a dead pixel. Call Samsung and ask and this is what they will say "we do not send refurbished phones to the carrier". Verizon does not take these phones apart. I know what Verizon is told to say and its just to cover there butts. They turn them on and that's about it. The rep I talked to last said that's one of the number one complaints they get is about there cln replacements. I had to send my charge in to Samsung to get one without scratches all over the screen. The Samsung one was actually like new. The screen looked crisp. So from now on I have to go around Verizon to get a good phone if I have a problem. All Verizon wants to do is a factory reset or send you a broken phone.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This is all unfortunate to hear. The CLN GNex that I got looks clean enough but I hate the thought that I'm going to get a handset that has more problems than the one I'm replacing.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is all unfortunate to hear. The CLN GNex that I got looks clean enough but I hate the thought that I'm going to get a handset that has more problems than the one I'm replacing.

Supposedly you shouldn't. It should look clean, the body of the phone is new. It is just the hardware inside that is not new.

For me, I dislike having to get a phone that is not new if I'm having to replace one that is defective due to no fault of my own.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Many people shudder at the notion of receiving a refurbished device. I'm the opposite.. as I actually prefer refurbs. Despite what many people think, they're not phones taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled. The guts will be used parts, cannibalised parts from used devices etc... But the housing/casing will be new, the device gets its own QA treatment -vs- new devices which only samples from batches get the QA treatment, and if it weren't for the sticker under the battery, you'd never know.

It's funny, but people look at me cross-eyed when I actually request a refurb. But in my experience, refurbs tend to be more reliable.

I'm not sure that I would go so far as to actually prefer refurbs, but I'm actually pretty impressed and happy with the replacement GN I got after I dropped my original one. No scratches, no visible blemishes, and everything works well. If only this one somehow gave me the 48 hour battery life some people are touting...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have had 7 Samsung fascinates cln, 2 Droid charges, I'm telling you they are our broken phones. All fascinates had screen burn in and one had a green screen. The two Droid charges I had, had scratches all over the screen and one had a dead pixel. Call Samsung and ask and this is what they will say "we do not send refurbished phones to the carrier". Verizon does not take these phones apart. I know what Verizon is told to say and its just to cover there butts. They turn them on and that's about it. The rep I talked to last said that's one of the number one complaints they get is about there cln replacements. I had to send my charge in to Samsung to get one without scratches all over the screen. The Samsung one was actually like new. The screen looked crisp. So from now on I have to go around Verizon to get a good phone if I have a problem. All Verizon wants to do is a factory reset or send you a broken phone.

Again, that's not true. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that's not how it works.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what has happened to me EVERY time a carrier has tried to slop their defective used #### on me as a replacement. Doesn't matter which brand either. It happened with LG, BlackBerry and now Samsung devices.

I had to get a replacement for my Nexus because it literally stopped holding a data signal and was dropping calls like crazy all of a sudden (including while on the phone with VZW seeking help for the problem...oh, the irony).

The refurb trash they sent me looked great and seemed to behave just fine at first. But the list of all the odd behaviors it is displaying grows daily. From sound (notification) quirks to the failure of the proximity sensor to the inability of the dial-pad to be able to cleanly (consistently) send tones to an automated system to the device dropping me to the Mobile Network Setting screen after most phone calls to odd screen "touch" activations (e.g. things launch without me touching the screen to tell it to launch) to an even worse reliability of holding data signals.

Verizon has really been a letdown ever since I switched to their "most reliable" 4G network and got my hands on this device. The Galaxy Nexus and Android 4.0 experience is SOOOOO tantalizing but the experience of it has been very trying. It is like I literally have an ice cream sandwich ready to be eaten, but I am also dealing with multiple cavities and sensitive teeth that won't let me eat cold food.

If the damn thing would WORK the way the stupid iPhones work, then I would be able to tell people that the Galaxy Nexus/ICS experience is like electronic crack---you just can't get enough and can't put it down. But right now....I'm ready to drop it in the toilet and flush.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If you got it at Costco, why not exchange the Nexus there for a brand new one. They have 90 days exchanges.
That's a good point. I guess because I was in a corporate Verizon store trying to get the problem solved with a rep and he just ordered me up a new phone while I was there. Never even thought to go to Costco and exchange. And since I already exchanged my "trial" RAZR for the GNex from Costco, I don't really want to take too much advantage of their good will.

jonathonflores6958

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Dude, did it come in a plain white box or did it come in Samsung/Verizon retail packaging? Vzw would always send me "Like-new" phones for warranty replacements and I would send it right back and call a vzw rep and tell them that I didnt pay for a "like-new" device when i signed my contract. I paid for a new device and as long as they kept sending me "like new" replacements, I would be sending them right back. Needless to say, I always got a brand new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800