No SIM Activation question

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, i recently got a galaxy nexus off craigslist for pretty cheap because the guy had soft bricked it, after some struggles i got it booting but there was an issue with the touch screen (no response at all) so i am having it repaired by samsung. anyway my question is if I'm able to activate the phone without having a sim card. I'm currently using the OG droid and not quite prepared to upgrade my plans....i know in the past some phones could run 3g only. so basically does anyone have any idea if i can just activate the phone as a 3g phone without the sim card?

thanks

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can activate it without a sim card. This sounds like a whole lot of trouble...why don't you just buy a new one from Verizon/Costco/Amazon?

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can activate it without a sim card. This sounds like a whole lot of trouble...why don't you just buy a new one from Verizon/Costco/Amazon?

for one the cost was 200 with extended battery and no tax (which is charged on the retail price of the phone and in california tax sucks) plus i am on a family plan where we are not yet wanting to upgrade due to lack of quality phones that fit the other members in my family's needs. yes it's a bit of trouble and a rather large gamble, but if it pays off, i got some solid experience trouble shooting the phone using fastboot and i payed not a huge price.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Need a SIM. 3G and 4G credentials are both embedded in the SIM on 4G phones.

Take it to a store... they can move your service onto a SIM and it should not affect your contract. And you'll end up with 4G as a bonus.