LTE Galaxy Nexus no longer supported by google?

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Timely updates? VZW, still has to sign off to allow the OTA. What is to prevent them from making Google's request sit in the inbox pile for extended periods of time?

OF COURSE VZW SIGNS OFF ON THE UPDATE! It's their network they have to make sure it works. Also what Nexus update has been delayed because of Verizon signing off on the update? What prevents them? UMMM how about the fact that it's a Nexus? I wish folks would stop making stuff up. The same way the TheVerge made up this statement "Pending a reversal by Verizon, then, it would appear that Verizon and Samsung are now solely responsible for their version of the Galaxy Nexus going forward ? firmware updates won't be pushed by Google (or if they are, it seemingly won't be without Verizon intervention), and the device isn't officially supported by Google for Android development. That's not good."

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OF COURSE VZW SIGNS OFF ON THE UPDATE! It's their network they have to make sure it works. Also what Nexus update has been delayed because of Verizon signing off on the update? What prevents them? UMMM how about the fact that it's a Nexus? I wish folks would stop making stuff up. The same way the TheVerge made up this statement "Pending a reversal by Verizon, then, it would appear that Verizon and Samsung are now solely responsible for their version of the Galaxy Nexus going forward ? firmware updates won't be pushed by Google (or if they are, it seemingly won't be without Verizon intervention), and the device isn't officially supported by Google for Android development. That's not good."

I'm not making anything up. I think it's a legitimate question.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
it think all this news means is google will not be working with verizon's apk files themselves with their updates. google will basically be sending their update to vzw now, who will get the update working with their apk files-if this rumor is true.

if i'm right, all this really doesn't amount to much and folks are overreacting. lol (it's fun to watch though :) )

could be wrong though, i'm no expert on this subject.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You hate them why? Because they use a different network? One that is voted superior than the rest year after year? Pretty dumb reason to hate something. The fact that the Nexus S4g was pulled as well means that the signed APK is more than a VZW requirement.

That isn't the only reason I hate them. I actually equally dislike all the carriers, but they are a necessary evil.

Here's a few reasons pointed at VZ.

1. Bionic delay and it's subsequent quick push from the limelight for the RAZR
2. Their $100 dollar premium on devices with LTE, AT&T does not have this and in fact are almost exactly half the costs! Skyrocket SII is $149
3. The Google Wallet fiasco, and then trying to push their own IRIS, anti competitive?
4. The GN delay and Verizon's complete silence on it's reasons.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure why people aren't getting this.

Verizon requires signed APK's in their builds and only provides to Google for official releases, NOT AOSP. So because of this, Google pulled AOSP for the CDMA GN.

This means that developers and themers, can't build their own AOSP from source and make it work 100%.. so it's effectively killing developer support from a developer phone.

Way to go Verizon, I hate you.

This is what I'm most concerned about. Since they are not going to be releasing source for the CDMA version its going to do hinder devolopment. Personally I could care less about updates from VZW or Google because I could always update the newest version as soon as source dropped long before OTA were pushed out. I have been running 4.0.3 for week and weeks now and it still has not been pushed out officially.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
That isn't the only reason I hate them. I actually equally dislike all the carriers, but they are a necessary evil.

2. Their $100 dollar premium on devices with LTE, AT&T does not have this and in fact are almost exactly half the costs! Skyrocket SII is $149
3. The Google Wallet fiasco, and then trying to push their own IRIS, anti competitive?

1. Didn't Moto redesing the Bionic? How is that VZW's fault?
2. So what! The hardware was more advanced than others, you expected it to remain the same price? You like the skyrocket price so much go to ATT with their crappy service.
3. Fiasco? How was it a fiasco? What Nexus launched with Google wallet? At one point only the Nexus 4g even supported it right?
4. What delay? They said the phone will be launched by the end of the year and it was. A delay is when they give a date then change it. Because you choose to follow rumors is not vzws fault.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is what I'm most concerned about. Since they are not going to be releasing source for the CDMA version its going to do hinder devolopment. Personally I could care less about updates from VZW or Google because I could always update the newest version as soon as source dropped long before OTA were pushed out. I have been running 4.0.3 for week and weeks now and it still has not been pushed out officially.

It appears because of this flaw of CDMA carriers having proprietary files for network communications, the Nexus can never be truly open on Verizon or Sprint.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Motorola choosing to change the phone that would have the moniker of Bionic is not VZW. VZW does not manufacture phones.

VZW is the US carrier to have 4G LTE. So your comparison to AT&T is a strawman at best. If you think that AT&T has a more economical price why not switch to them?

What phones have Wallet preinstalled? VZW does not have anything called IRIS. Are you referring to ISIS?

There was no delay in the release of the GNEX.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Android developers will just have to change the way they build for the Toro (Verizon Galaxy Nexus), the Stingray (the LTE Xoom), and the Crespo 4G (Nexus S 4G). The sky has not fallen, and they'll figure it out.

I think the developers will fiqure it out as stated in this quote above I found from the main page of AC

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been thinking a bit about the events of Friday afternoon. Part of what's awesome about this job -- journalism in general, actually -- is the process of it. I freely admit that I too often say out loud that I spent 11 years at a two-time Pulitzer finalist newspaper and worked with some amazing people for long hours and ty pay (and picked up a hot wife in the process). But that not-so-humblebrag is as much to remind me about the kind of work that can and should be done. It's damned hard to do online with that same sort of scope and recognition, but I'm proud to say I know people capable of it, and I read their work every day.

The act of committing journalism, as the saying goes, is as important as the end result, if not more so. ty journalism begets ty stories. That's tougher to see in the blogosphere -- a term I really don't like, but have come to accept. (Or maybe I shouldn't, but that's for another day.) It's fast, and because of that it's an environment riper for errors and misunderstanding.

Tonight's topic is about the earthquake that happened Friday when Google changed part of its Android Open Source Project pages, removing references to a few devices, most notably the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It was an organisational change, pure and simple, because CDMA radio source code actually is proprietary and can't be compiled from source along with the rest of the ROM. And so Google removed references to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom LTE and the Sprint Nexus S 4G.

It's a sizable change, to be sure. Someone noticed this change and tipped Droid-Life, which was the first to blog it, under the headline "Google No Longer 'Supports' the LTE/CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus?". Now, removing devices from that should certainly be noted, and explained. But what happened Friday was the equivalent of shouting "SMOKE!!!" in a crowded theater. Not quite saying that the joint's burning down (hey, the headline has a question mark), but the implication was clear. In fact, the original post (and props to DL for keeping it intact) reads "There is also a note above that which reads “No CDMA devices are supported.” Not sure it could be any clearer than that."

Of course, by now, the theater is clearing out, and not exactly in an orderly fashion.

From the beginning, something seemed odd. Something was up, to be sure, but something also seemed, well, odd. Google no longer supporting the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Sure, the Verizon launch unofficially was a cluster , and then there's the whole Google Wallet brouhaha. But to just drop "support" like that, and to do so by something disappearing from a web page? Didn't feel right. It's too easy to screw up code. So what did we do?

I went for a walk. Well, I was going for a walk anyway. (Mobile Nations Fitness Month and all.) But in the meantime, bloggers be bloggin' -- but nobody seemed to know what the hell was going on. We'd pinged Google through the official channels and were awaiting a response (and still are, actually). Chris Ziegler from The Verge actually got a statement and ran it, seemingly pointing the finger at the Google Wallet debacle. Only, that didn't exactly make sense either. And it turned out to not really have anything to do with what was going on. I've got no beef with Chris or The Verge over that, though. If you actually get a statement from Google, you run it. I would have done the exact same thing. Complete speculation here -- it does appear to show a bit of a disconnect between official PR channels and boots in the mud. That's not unusual in large companies, but neither is it comforting when you're trying to get things right.

Fortunately, Google's Dan Morrill posted on the Android Contributors Google Group that it's really just a key-signing thing, and that nobody's dropping support for the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus (and presumably the upcoming Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus), along with the LTE Xoom and Wimax Nexus S 4G. Good to hear.

So. A few takeaways.

• The point of this isn't to demean anyone mentioned here. I consider any of the websites mentioned to be at least professional pals. To those of use who do this for a living, process is important.
  • I'm glad we sat on the story initially. That was an editorial decision on my part, and it turned out to be the right one. Something just didn't feel right. Turns out it wasn't a huge-ass story after all.
  • If you really think Google's going to take back the Verizon's "Nexus" status, you're nuts. Google might well be pretty pissed at Verizon over how things went with the Galaxy Nexus (which is sad if true), but to pull "support" out of spite is just ridiculous. (And, as it turns out, wrong.) And likely goes against some sort of contract that's likely in place.
  • Perhaps, Google, some sort of public blog post would have been in order ahead of time? That's easy to say in hindsight. But then again I spend days watching the knee-jerk reactions of people playing armchair developer/journalist/whatever. Pre-emptive explanations beat closing the barn door after the horse is gone, though.
But shouting "SMOKE!!!" in a crowded theater is just as bad as shouting "FIRE!!!" -- especially when you're the one who's holding the match in a room that has absolutely no chance of catching fire in the first place.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking a bit about the events of Friday afternoon. Part of what's awesome about this job -- journalism in general, actually -- is the process of it. I freely admit that I too often say out loud that I spent 11 years at a two-time Pulitzer finalist newspaper and worked with some amazing people for long hours and ty pay (and picked up a hot wife in the process). But that not-so-humblebrag is as much to remind me about the kind of work that can and should be done. It's damned hard to do online with that same sort of scope and recognition, but I'm proud to say I know people capable of it, and I read their work every day.

The act of committing journalism, as the saying goes, is as important as the end result, if not more so. ty journalism begets ty stories. That's tougher to see in the blogosphere -- a term I really don't like, but have come to accept. (Or maybe I shouldn't, but that's for another day.) It's fast, and because of that it's an environment riper for errors and misunderstanding.

Tonight's topic is about the earthquake that happened Friday when Google changed part of its Android Open Source Project pages, removing references to a few devices, most notably the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It was an organisational change, pure and simple, because CDMA radio source code actually is proprietary and can't be compiled from source along with the rest of the ROM. And so Google removed references to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom LTE and the Sprint Nexus S 4G.

It's a sizable change, to be sure. Someone noticed this change and tipped Droid-Life, which was the first to blog it, under the headline "Google No Longer 'Supports' the LTE/CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus?". Now, removing devices from that should certainly be noted, and explained. But what happened Friday was the equivalent of shouting "SMOKE!!!" in a crowded theater. Not quite saying that the joint's burning down (hey, the headline has a question mark), but the implication was clear. In fact, the original post (and props to DL for keeping it intact) reads "There is also a note above that which reads “No CDMA devices are supported.” Not sure it could be any clearer than that."

Of course, by now, the theater is clearning out, and not exactly in an orderly fashion.

From the beginning, something seemed odd. Something was up, to be sure, but something also seemed, well, odd. Google no longer supporting the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Sure, the Verizon launch unofficially was a cluster , and then there's the whole Google Wallet brouhaha. But to just drop "support" like that, and to do so by something disappearing from a web page? Didn't feel right. It's too easy to screw up code. So what did we do?

I went for a walk. Well, I was going for a walk anyway. (Mobile Nations Fitness Month and all.) But in the meantime, bloggers be bloggin' -- but nobody seemed to know what the hell was going on. We'd pinged Google through the official channels and were awaiting a response (and still are, actually). Chris Ziegler from The Verge actually got a statement and ran it, seemingly pointing the finger at the Google Wallet debacle. Only, that didn't exactly make sense either. And it turned out to not really have anything to do with what was going on. I've got no beef with Chris or The Verge over that, though. If you actually get a statement from Google, you run it. I would have done the exact same thing. Complete speculation here -- it does appear to show a bit of a disconnect between official PR channels and boots in the mud. That's not unusual in large companies, but neither is it comforting when you're trying to get things right.

Fortunately, Google's Dan Morrill posted on the Android Contributors Google Group that it's really just a key-signing thing, and that nobody's dropping support for the Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus (and presumably the upcoming Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus), along with the LTE Xoom and Wimax Nexus S 4G. Good to hear.

So. A few takeaways.

• The point of this isn't to demean anyone mentioned here. I consider any of the websites mentioned to be at least professional pals. To those of use who do this for a living, process is important.
  • I'm glad we sat on the story initially. That was an editorial decision on my part, and it turned out to be the right one. Something just didn't feel right. Turns out it wasn't a huge-ass story after all.
  • If you really think Google's going to take back the Verizon's "Nexus" status, you're nuts. Google might well be pretty pissed at Verizon over how things went with the Galaxy Nexus (which is sad if true), but to pull "support" out of spite is just ridiculous. (And, as it turns out, wrong.) And likely goes against some sort of contract that's likely in place.
  • Perhaps, Google, some sort of public blog post would have been in order ahead of time? That's easy to say in hindsight. But then again I spend days watching the knee-jerk reactions of people playing armchair developer/journalist/whatever. Pre-emptive explanations beat closing the barn door after the horse is gone, though.
But shouting "SMOKE!!!" in a crowded theater is just as bad as shouting "FIRE!!!" -- especially when you're the one who's holding the match in a room that has absolutely no chance of catching fire in the first place.
Don't forget about the MIRRORS :p

Reactions: radsaq

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Here's a good question, why does everybody always go and automatically attack Verizon for this, IF there is anything to even attack them over? How do we know this wasn't Google's doing?

The Sprint Nexus S 4G was also removed in the same way. Did Verizon remove that too?

I would hang on for an official response from Google before you guys throw Verizon under the bus. Just chill.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for saying this because it needed saying. The "overreaction" to this has been absolutely ridiculous. And lets call a spade a spade while we're at it. Droid-Life chose to run with a headline that was designed to cause as much panic as possible knowing fully well that the little blurb about the note as to why it was done wouldn't even be a blip on peoples radars after seeing the headline!

Reactions: bplewis24 and jroc

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys.. I am not sure why anyone continues to defend the carriers. I honestly don't get it.. they are an American capitalist company.. you know what that means? They care 0 for YOU as a person and only care about how much $$ you pay them. The ONLY reason carriers play nice is because of the FCC, and other Federal agencies.

Phil, your analogy is clear and is correct, however the Nexus line has always been branded as a "developer" phone. Something for people to tinker with, do what they want with, develop on and run un-approved source code on. This was the whole allure to buy a Nexus phone..

By Verizon (and I guess now Sprint) mandating that you can only connect to their network if you run an operating system they have blessed, they've effectively branded their devices as something else.

How is the Droid 1, which has quite a few AOSP roms running and connecting to Verizon's network if the OS isn't blessed by VZ? Did Google remove AOSP source files for the Droid 1 as well?

What I'm most curious about, is why does Apple have this control over carriers that Google and Microsoft can't seem to grab? The iPhone on VZ does not have any branding, doesn't have the contacts backup app, nor MyVerizon baked in. I wish companies wouldn't cave in to the carriers.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Come on guys.. I am not sure why anyone continues to defend the carriers. I honestly don't get it.. they are an American capitalist company.. you know what that means? They care 0 for YOU as a person and only care about how much $$ you pay them. The ONLY reason carriers play nice is because of the FCC, and other Federal agencies.

I wouldn't expect a company to care about me - it's a company, not a person. The relationship a company has with me is a business one, not a friendship. If said company makes a business decision I don't like, I make my opinion heard by voting with my wallet and taking my business elsewhere - which is what any Verizon customer is free to do.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Phil, your analogy is clear and is correct, however the Nexus line has always been branded as a "developer" phone. Something for people to tinker with, do what they want with, develop on and run un-approved source code on. This was the whole allure to buy a Nexus phone..

By Verizon (and I guess now Sprint) mandating that you can only connect to their network if you run an operating system they have blessed, they've effectively branded their devices as something else.

How is the Droid 1, which has quite a few AOSP roms running and connecting to Verizon's network if the OS isn't blessed by VZ? Did Google remove AOSP source files for the Droid 1 as well?

What I'm most curious about, is why does Apple have this control over carriers that Google and Microsoft can't seem to grab? The iPhone on VZ does not have any branding, doesn't have the contacts backup app, nor MyVerizon baked in. I wish companies wouldn't cave in to the carriers.
Correcting statements and declarations that are wrong is not defending a company.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chwoka