LTE Galaxy Nexus no longer supported by google?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys.. I am not sure why anyone continues to defend the carriers. I honestly don't get it.. they are an American capitalist company.. you know what that means? They care 0 for YOU as a person and only care about how much $$ you pay them. The ONLY reason carriers play nice is because of the FCC, and other Federal agencies.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Carriers, like Google, are driven solely by a desire to make mountains of money from people like us. On the other hand, we line up like sheep to give them our money so our stupidity balances our their evil. But's neither here nor there, and I don't wanna derail this thread.

Phil, your analogy is clear and is correct, however the Nexus line has always been branded as a "developer" phone. Something for people to tinker with, do what they want with, develop on and run un-approved source code on. This was the whole allure to buy a Nexus phone..

And none of that has changed. But the "developer" part is more for a reference device for the current platform for application developers.

By Verizon (and I guess now Sprint) mandating that you can only connect to their network if you run an operating system they have blessed, they've effectively branded their devices as something else.

How is the Droid 1, which has quite a few AOSP roms running and connecting to Verizon's network if the OS isn't blessed by VZ? Did Google remove AOSP source files for the Droid 1 as well?

The Droid never had a set of instructions from Google for building a specific AOSP port. The Galaxy Nexus did, and they didn't work. The reason they didn't work is pretty easy to understand -- ICS touches the radio code a bit differently. Samsung (and Motorola) need to build the interface with their closed source code, for official releases -- meaning it's signed by official platform keys. Mixing files signed with platform keys, and files signed with AOSP keys, forks things all up.

The same files developers used to build the current crop of 4.0.3 ROMs are still there, in the exact same place they were yesterday. The directions to build for the affected devices have been removed, because they don't work. They never did. Now there's not a page on the Internet saying they do.

If/when we see versions higher than 4.0.3 for the Verizon G Nex, the Verizon Xoom, or the Sprint Nexus S, and the needed binaries aren't obtainable from the Internet or from the phone itself, then we can loot and riot.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a company to care about me - it's a company, not a person. The relationship a company has with me is a business one, not a friendship. If said company makes a business decision I don't like, I make my opinion heard by voting with my wallet and taking my business elsewhere - which is what any Verizon customer is free to do.

Problem is that if 100,000 individual users left Verizon because of this decision, Verizon wouldn't care, it'd be business as usual in any given month..

If a single company with 100,000 lines of service left, that's where they'd start to take notice.

I'm sure you know this, but carriers make more money on contracts with companies than they do with individual users, so people voting with their wallet doesn't really affect Verizon.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Problem is that if 100,000 individual users left Verizon because of this decision, Verizon wouldn't care, it'd be business as usual in any given month..

If a single company with 100,000 lines of service left, that's where they'd start to take notice.

I'm sure you know this, but carriers make more money on contracts with companies than they do with individual users, so people voting with their wallet doesn't really affect Verizon.

Sure it does. If enough people left VZW, it would impact them negatively and they would take notice. But, where would we go? What else is out there?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Correcting statements and declarations that are wrong is not defending a company.

The first part of my post wasn't directed towards Phil, I guess I should have quoted correctly.

PaulDroidR2D2 said:
Motorola choosing to change the phone that would have the moniker of Bionic is not VZW. VZW does not manufacture phones.

VZW is the US carrier to have 4G LTE. So your comparison to AT&T is a strawman at best. If you think that AT&T has a more economical price why not switch to them?

What phones have Wallet preinstalled? VZW does not have anything called IRIS. Are you referring to ISIS?

There was no delay in the release of the GNEX.

They don't manufacturer phones, but they certainly do have a heavy hand in whether or not a phone operates on their network, this isn't GSM where you can do what you want.

AT&T LTE also operates on the 700mhz band, The Galaxy SII Skyrocket is an AT&T LTE device that is half the cost of the average Verizon LTE device.

Doesn't the Nexus S 4G have GW preinstalled? or at least able to download from the market? It's missing from the GN and not sanctioned by Verizon.. yes I meant ISIS, I got confused with the SIRI clone.

I think that AT&T's LTE will eventually be BETTER than Verizon's LTE, why? Because LTE is a natural upgrade path to GSM. If you lose LTE signal on your Verizon device, you fall back to the much slower CDMA.

On AT&T, if you lose LTE, you fall back to HSPA 21Mbps? 7.2Mbps? 4.6Mbps? All much faster than CDMA 3G.

And I guess if you count all the internet posts about "GN coming this day..." and it never happening, anyone would think it was delayed.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Uh...

They don't manufacturer phones, but they certainly do have a heavy hand in whether or not a phone operates on their network, this isn't GSM where you can do what you want.

AT&T LTE also operates on the 700mhz band, The Galaxy SII Skyrocket is an AT&T LTE device that is half the cost of the average Verizon LTE device.

Doesn't the Nexus S 4G have GW preinstalled? or at least able to download from the market? It's missing from the GN and not sanctioned by Verizon.. yes I meant ISIS, I got confused with the SIRI clone.

I think that AT&T's LTE will eventually be BETTER than Verizon's LTE, why? Because LTE is a natural upgrade path to GSM. If you lose LTE signal on your Verizon device, you fall back to the much slower CDMA.

On AT&T, if you lose LTE, you fall back to HSPA 21Mbps? 7.2Mbps? 4.6Mbps? All much faster than CDMA 3G.

And I guess if you count all the internet posts about "GN coming this day..." and it never happening, anyone would think it was delayed.
Then you should switch to AT&T. You seem to think a lot more favorably of them.

Reactions: ejaymd11

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
4. What delay? They said the phone will be launched by the end of the year and it was. A delay is when they give a date then change it. Because you choose to follow rumors is not vzws fault.

Off topic this is my favorite agreement! The release wasn't delayed, lol. Try Canada got the phone before we did and they had a release date. What do you call not having a release date?

I am opinionless on the op topic, bit haha on this flawed line of thinking.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Off topic this is my favorite agreement! The release wasn't delayed, lol. Try Canada got the phone before we did and they had a release date. What do you call not having a release date?

I am opinionless on the op topic, bit haha on this flawed line of thinking.

I think most of us here are in the US, not Canada. The phone was released before the end of 2011. That being the case it was well within the VZW announced release period.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Carriers, like Google, are driven solely by a desire to make mountains of money from people like us. On the other hand, we line up like sheep to give them our money so our stupidity balances our their evil. But's neither here nor there, and I don't wanna derail this thread.

And none of that has changed. But the "developer" part is more for a reference device for the current platform for application developers.

The Droid never had a set of instructions from Google for building a specific AOSP port. The Galaxy Nexus did, and they didn't work. The reason they didn't work is pretty easy to understand -- ICS touches the radio code a bit differently. Samsung (and Motorola) need to build the interface with their closed source code, for official releases -- meaning it's signed by official platform keys. Mixing files signed with platform keys, and files signed with AOSP keys, forks things all up.

The same files developers used to build the current crop of 4.0.3 ROMs are still there, in the exact same place they were yesterday. The directions to build for the affected devices have been removed, because they don't work. They never did. Now there's not a page on the Internet saying they do.

If/when we see versions higher than 4.0.3 for the Verizon G Nex, the Verizon Xoom, or the Sprint Nexus S, and the needed binaries aren't obtainable from the Internet or from the phone itself, then we can loot and riot.

Carriers like Google? Google is not a carrier. The carrier here is Verizon.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The first part of my post wasn't directed towards Phil, I guess I should have quoted correctly.

LOL so ATT LTE will be better how exactly? By not using LTE it will be better? That is what you said.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is that CDMA Nexus has been on the site since before the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Why all of a sudden there is a problem with CDMA phones on the site?

Reactions: 808phoneaddict

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
LOL so ATT LTE will be better how exactly? By not using LTE it will be better? That is what you said.

No I didnt.. AT&T will be better for a ton of reasons..

1. Fallback.. like I mentioned, if your LTE signal drops, you fallback to very fast HSPA+
2. AT&T devices can be thinner and their batteries should last longer as LTE is an evolutionary ladder to GSM/HSPA, you're not having to power 2 different radio technologies in your phones, like you are with CDMA.
3. I've seen live demonstrations given by AT&T at their HQ(yes it was a simulated environment, but so was Verizon's when I saw there's at their HQ), and their LTE will be just as fast as Verizons.
4. Call handoff's between GSM/HSPA/LTE operate better than call handoffs between CDMA/LTE
5. While Verizon has the largest chunk of Block C 700mhz spectrum, AT&T has the largest actual chunk of the 700mhz spectrum spread between multiple blocks, A, B and D

AT&T has so much unused spectrum it's insane.

Anyways, off topic, sorry.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is that CDMA Nexus has been on the site since before the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Why all of a sudden there is a problem with CDMA phones on the site?

Sounds as if Verizon put their foot down and Sprint was caught in the crossfire.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084