02-06-2012 08:19 PM
110 ... 345
tools
    looks like i'll be selling the gn and moving back to the bolt.
    02-06-2012 05:20 PM
    It means nothing to anyone who doesn't compile their own build. Verizon and Samsung still have to supply the same files they had to supply last month. Now, you pull them from the phone versus download them from the web.

These are all files that you, I, or any ROM developer couldn't modify anyway.

Since Google doesn't have license to redistribute them, they can't supply them -- your phone manufacturer has to do that. Which they do, right from your phone with an easy to run and included shell script as part of the build process.

Absolutely nothing has changed with this news, except the terms and instructions from Google.

Any website (I won't mention names) that tells you differently just wants to stir the pot and/or cover for their huge blunder from Friday.
    02-06-2012 05:37 PM
    Thanks Cowboy. Wth over 4600 posts I'll accept your answer till someone says otherwise.
    02-06-2012 05:42 PM
    Thanks Cowboy. Wth over 4600 posts I'll accept your answer till someone says otherwise.
    Considering he's one of the site admins, editors and researchers, and this site has a very, VERY good track record of checking their facts (all the editors do it for each other too), this is the only site I really trust for mobile device news and information.

And no, I wasn't paid to say that.
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    02-06-2012 07:18 PM
    It means nothing to anyone who doesn't compile their own build. Verizon and Samsung still have to supply the same files they had to supply last month. Now, you pull them from the phone versus download them from the web.

These are all files that you, I, or any ROM developer couldn't modify anyway.

Since Google doesn't have license to redistribute them, they can't supply them -- your phone manufacturer has to do that. Which they do, right from your phone with an easy to run and included shell script as part of the build process.

Absolutely nothing has changed with this news, except the terms and instructions from Google.

Any website (I won't mention names) that tells you differently just wants to stir the pot and/or cover for their huge blunder from Friday.
    Exactly. It all comes down to the files necessary for CDMA connectivity, and their proprietary nature when compared to their GSM equivalents.

All Google has done is make it clear that you can't build AOSP ROMs for CDMA like you can for GSM anymore. That's it.

I'd be curious to know whether there will be any CDMA Nexii after the Galaxy Nexus, however.
    02-06-2012 07:24 PM
    I want to understand this.. so this means that CDMA devs will still be able to make ROMS but there will be a bit more boundaries? Compared to when they had no boundaries at all for their ROMs? It will still be a phone good for ROMing right? This is my go-to phone if anything happens to my Maxx just incase.
    02-06-2012 07:51 PM
    is this thread still going? hilarious.
    02-06-2012 07:54 PM
    I want to understand this.. so this means that CDMA devs will still be able to make ROMS but there will be a bit more boundaries? Compared to when they had no boundaries at all for their ROMs? It will still be a phone good for ROMing right? This is my go-to phone if anything happens to my Maxx just incase.
    It won't really affect anyone that already is making ROMs.
    02-06-2012 07:58 PM
    K, cool, thanks.
    02-06-2012 07:58 PM
    Can someone please explain what this means for the future of the Verizon GN? This is not a rumor anymore. This is from Google. Should I wait for GSM version? Thanks

https://groups.google.com/group/andr...1c893e1e?pli=1
    Google is still going to providing support with updates and such.
    02-06-2012 08:19 PM
110 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD