LTE Galaxy Nexus no longer supported by google?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Based off of what has been discussed in the thread earlier. The only thing that will be different is what developers will have to do in order to design things for the phone. There will no longer be a clear set of instructions for development on the phone because CDMA is locked and proprietary. Development will continue, it will simply be more of a challenge because developers will be on their own.

808phoneaddict

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for asking this.... This was my question as i will probably not root or unlock...

People have been saying that developers will be on their own because of this, dies that mean developers as in those who create mods and setups for the rooters? Or developers as in regular app development like fb, twitter, and the like....?

Galaxy Nexus in the house via Tapatalk!!!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well given the number of roms and such that have already been developed for the GN, I'm not sure I would worry too much about it. Even things like Wallet have work arounds.

808phoneaddict

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think that AT&T's LTE will eventually be BETTER than Verizon's LTE, why? Because LTE is a natural upgrade path to GSM. If you lose LTE signal on your Verizon device, you fall back to the much slower CDMA.

On AT&T, if you lose LTE, you fall back to HSPA 21Mbps? 7.2Mbps? 4.6Mbps? All much faster than CDMA 3G.

Why is gsm a natural evolution to lte and cdma isn't? I jus curious because I don't know...

Also does it really matter if gsm is better to fall back on? Hspa isn't gsm anyway...just establish lte and keep it running!

Besides the big issue is more about dead spots and dropped signals, which at&t is more known for anyway...now this whole thing about cdma is in the air, too bad there isn't a good US gsm provider that's upgrading to lte around...

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why is gsm a natural evolution to lte and cdma isn't? I jus curious because I don't know...

Also does it really matter if gsm is better to fall back on? Hspa isn't gsm anyway...just establish lte and keep it running!

Besides the big issue is more about dead spots and dropped signals, which at&t is more known for anyway...now this whole thing about cdma is in the air, too bad there isn't a good US gsm provider that's upgrading to lte around...

LTE is an international mobile technology. GSM is also a global standard. That is also probably why it requires a SIM card. From what it seems like, VZW is steadily and slowly going to be phasing out CDMA.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

LTE is based on GSM/UMTS/HSPA tech which is a standard under the 3GPP group. It's based on W-CDMA technology and all use SIM chips, Yes, HSPA/HSPDA/HSUPA is a GSM technology.

CDMA is based on the CDMA2000 tech which is a standard under the 3GPP-2 group. CDMA2000 includes 1xRTT, 1xEVDO, 1xSVDO, CDMA Rev.A, CDMA Rev.0, etc, none use SIM chips, they use Electronic Serial Numbers.

LTE is basically an upgraded version of UMTS, it uses much of the same technology with new modulation enhancements and it runs on the much lower 700mhz frequency.

808phoneaddict

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the last couple replies... I've learned alot from those two... Seriously, no sarcasm here... So to clarify, if i wanted to go with a technology that was more similar to what going on globally, so not to fall into this sort of situation again (vzw's cdma vs. The more global gsm like technologies), i'd go with a Sprint or At&t phone? In my area here in hawaii Verizon seems to have the best coverage, altho tmobile and sprint isn't too bad...i'd def. consider jumping to sprint when my contract is up...

edited: At&t and Tmobile would be the best moves than?? I just did a quick search and found that these two are both HSPA or GSM technology, while Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA...I wish At&t had better coverage in my area, nothing sucks worse than not having a signal in a dead spot!! Tmobile has good coverage, just no LTE...

Last edited:

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else following what is being said about this on XDA? Seems like some of the devs have some concerns as to what this means for them given Google's response.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
That isn't the only reason I hate them. I actually equally dislike all the carriers, but they are a necessary evil.

Here's a few reasons pointed at VZ.

1. Bionic delay and it's subsequent quick push from the limelight for the RAZR
2. Their $100 dollar premium on devices with LTE, AT&T does not have this and in fact are almost exactly half the costs! Skyrocket SII is $149
3. The Google Wallet fiasco, and then trying to push their own IRIS, anti competitive?
4. The GN delay and Verizon's complete silence on it's reasons.

1. Do you buy a phone every 6 months?
2. It's primary competition is the iPhone not other Androids. It's priced exactly the same as a 32gb iPhone without LTE. So it's a better value.
3. So what. There's no place I shop that uses it. I'm not into junk food.
4. What delay? It was in the stores the day after Verizon announced it.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
1. Do you buy a phone every 6 months?
No, but if they release not-state-of-the-art phones touting it as state-of-the-art when it is not and then 3 months later (or was it 2?) release a state-of-the-art phone, then I might have to. Oh wait, no, I would have to buy a phone every 3 months then.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No, but if they release not-state-of-the-art phones touting it as state-of-the-art when it is not and then 3 months later (or was it 2?) release a state-of-the-art phone, then I might have to. Oh wait, no, I would have to buy a phone every 3 months then.

The razr and the bionic have identical hardware. The processor, ram, and GPU are exactly the same. By your reasoning, the razr wasn't state of the art.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The battery wasn't state of the art. It was the Bionic I was talking about, though.

What are you talking about?

The RAZR and bionic are almost identical in every way. The ONLY difference the RAZR has is a higher clock speed and a SAMOLED screen. The processor, RAM, GPU, camera, wireless modules, and every other major piece of hardware in both phones are EXACTLY the same.

In every sense of the word, the RAZR is a re-bodied and re-branded Bionic.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds as if Verizon put their foot down and Sprint was caught in the crossfire.

That makes no sense. If VZW put their foot down it should have no affect on sprint what so ever. If that was the case they would have dropped VZW and left sprint untouched.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you really hate VZW. Why do you continue to do business with them? It isn't as if you can't get a Galaxy Nexus that will work on either the T'Mobile or AT&T systems.
I don't hate VZW and I am not the person you addressed your comment to, but I think the reality is that the cell phone carries have an oligopoly and because of their market power, one is not really much better than the other. Also, in major metro areas all of the carriers may provide equal coverage but those of us in suburbia or rural areas many times don't have a choice because 1 carrier dominates with respect to coverage.

So if I had to guess I suspect the person you were referring to continues to do business with VZW because he either has no other comparable choice in carriers due to coverage in his area or because the other carriers would have the same or similar problems in his area.

Or maybe he gets a discount through his place of work or gets his phone through his place of work and has no choice at all.

Lots of people talk about the carriers as if they are no different from any company selling a commodity like bread. But unlike the bread manufacturers, the cell phone carriers have an oligopoly and it is an oligopoly obtained because they bought certain frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum from the federal government. No such similar issue with bread manufacturers. Anyone can bake bread and sell it and if your bread is tastier and a better price than the other bread on the market, your bread will be preferred by consumers who can very easily stop buying any bread but yours.

Not anyone can transmit a cell phone signal at a particular frequency. So in addition to the oligopoly issue, the problem with the cell phone companies is that they are public utilities by virtue of their licenses to use portions of the electromagentic spectrum but are not regulated as such.

Making microeconomic arguments with regard to the carriers without recognizing the oligopoly/public utility distinction is not valid.

Reactions: skipb

skipb

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
3. So what. There's no place I shop that uses it. I'm not into junk food.

I'm sure that bicycle you're riding doesn't require gasoline either... Can't we just move past this particular "opinion" poll? :confused:

Sent from my Android using AOSP

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante