Wifi advanced settings

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Always, only while plugged in, never.

I'm looking for the setting hat saves the most battery life and is most efficient. Some people tell always is best so any background syncing uses wifi. Some tell me only while plugged in so the wifi radio doesn't have to keep the connecting open all the time.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Always, only while plugged in, never.

I'm looking for the setting hat saves the most battery life and is most efficient. Some people tell always is best so any background syncing uses wifi. Some tell me only while plugged in so the wifi radio doesn't have to keep the connecting open all the time.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you're in range, always on, Wifi uses less juice than the Data antenna does. If you're not in range, turn it off.

Having an app that turns it on or off depending on if you're around a hotspot is a good idea.

JetsamRover

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Check out Y5 battery saver. It keeps wifi off by default, but turn it on and connect to a network and it will remember it and turn wifi back on when your there again. It only uses your rough network location so no battery is used on GPS.

I've been using it for over a year and its terrific, the perfect wifi compromise. Also, its free!

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I just leave mine on all the time.. get ~20 hours a day of battery life easy with light/normal use. as for advanced settings I have it set to always on/never sleep.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on how your usage pattern affects your personal battery life. I have a Dinc 2 and I don't really use any power saving settings because it gets me through my days without any problem. You never really know what someone else means by light, medium, or heavy user. Start out with no power saving settings (GPS on demand, WiFi on, etc.) and if it gets you through the day don't worry about it. JMHO.

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're not in range, turn it off.

Having an app that turns it on or off depending on if you're around a hotspot is a good idea.
But doesn't the battery used constant checking to see if wifi is available kind of defeat the point?

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Keep WiFi on During Sleep > Always. That's the phrasing on ICS. Before, it might be WiFi during Sleep > Never. You don't want the WiFi to have to search for a signal every time you wake the screen. This uses serious battery.

This is why I posted the above comment. Why doesn't that drain, too?