Experiment on Voice Calls Dropping When Switching Btw 3G and 4G

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Experiment on Voice Calls Dropping When Switching Btw 3G and

im having the same problems somewhat. when i switch my phone to LTE/CDMA i have a great 4g signal but when i make a call, about 5 mins into the call, it drops and 4g disappears along with signal bars. if i set the phone to CDMA only I can make calls and receive data(not at the same time of course). Gonna take my phone to VZW in the AM because I may as well have gotten an iphone 4s if I wanted 3G only

Reactions: GNex Girl

TUCRACEMAN

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

This has been happening to me too. I can tell you that mine will drop the call if I toggle off 4g. Past few calls I've made in the house I've used the phone connected to my computer running logcat.
~D

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Will the new radios fix this then? Since in the 4.0.4 radios the switch between 3G and 4G is supposedly faster based on posts I've read from those with 4.0.4. So this issue really might just be a side effect of the long switch time the phone has that should be fixed in a future OTA update if it ever does come... for us stock users.

TUCRACEMAN

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm using the 4.0.4 radios and i'm dropping calls randomly when it decides it wants to switch to 3g. So no, it does not fix the problem.
~D

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My GNex constantly switches between 3G and 4G where I live and when I can get a 4G signal it is usually in the < -110 dBm range. According to VZW, I am either too close to the tower (and I am about 2 miles away) or the cells in my area have been sectorized to prevent me from getting good 4G in-building penetration. However, the problem happens outside in the neighborhood, too.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, when my phone can detect any 4G signal at all no matter how low, it will try to grab it. During this switch from 3G to 4G, if I happen to be on a voice call, I drop the call. The same is true if my phone loses the 4G signal and switches back down to 3G - dropped call.

I have called VZW about this and they say that makes no sense since the voice signal shouldn't be affected by the data handoff. IOTW - they don't believe me. Their "solution" for me is to set my phone to 3G only, which of course is not a solution for someone who wants to use 4G.

Last night when I was on a call I decided to see what would happen if I changed the settings of my phone from having the preferred network mode be LTE/CDMA to CDMA during a voice call. I did and the voice call was promptly dropped. I then tried again during a voice call to switch the preferred network from CDMA to LTE/CDMA and again the call was dropped. So clearly something about this handoff drops voice calls.

I was hoping some of you would try this yourselves with your phones and post here what happens when you do. Also if you could pay attention when you are on voice calls in areas where you have weak 4G coverage to see if the handoff from 4G to 3G or vice versa causes you to drop your voice calls and then post here with your results that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm gonna try this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
That stuff they told you about being to close is garbage. My gf lives less than a mile from a tower and I get an great signal. I then vsn leave her house and drive the 3 miles to my house and I would be lucky to have 1-2 bars of 3g. I suggest just asking for a new device. I just received my 3rd for dropped calls.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

That stuff they told you about being to close is garbage. My gf lives less than a mile from a tower and I get an great signal. I then vsn leave her house and drive the 3 miles to my house and I would be lucky to have 1-2 bars of 3g. I suggest just asking for a new device. I just received my 3rd for dropped calls.
I drove right up to the tower parked, and got out of my car and stood right under it. My signal has never been better. It was phenomenal, so it is total BS that I am too close - the closer I got the better my signal. Then I moved away from it several yards and it was still great. Then I drove away and it was great and then trailed off the further away I got.

I think I will wait for the OTA update before I ask for another device. Should be coming in March.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I drove right up to the tower parked, and got out of my car and stood right under it. My signal has never been better. It was phenomenal, so it is total BS that I am too close - the closer I got the better my signal. Then I moved away from it several yards and it was still great. Then I drove away and it was great and then trailed off the further away I got.

I think I will wait for the OTA update before I ask for another device. Should be coming in March.

I will be on my 3rd tomorrow due to screeching/robotic sounds that only the person on the other end can hear. I have to hang up and call the person back to get it to stop. This happened twice in a half hour whole talking to my girlfriend tonight.

All I did was call vzw and ask for a tech and after like 20 mins of her asking questions she sent out a new phone. If this one is bad I'm done with the nexus, I cannot see having a phone that is terrible at being a phone for 16 months.

Btw I tried 4.04, while it did fix the 3g/4g hand off I was still getting the garbage phone quality.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

screeching/robotic sounds that only the person on the other end can hear.
Interesting, when I have the screeching, only I can hear it, not the other caller. That is what the others who report it here say, too.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Interesting, when I have the screeching, only I can hear it, not the other caller. That is what the others who report it here say, too.

I've heard it a few times but she will pretty much just tell me to call her back and I know what for. I just hope if it happens again that I don't have to jump through hoops to get a different model phone.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I've heard it a few times but she will pretty much just tell me to call her back and I know what for. I just hope if it happens again that I don't have to jump through hoops to get a different model phone.
You won't. Start calling now and reporting the problem. Tell the rep to make notes in your account and refer you to tier 2 tech support. Call each time it happens. Tell them to document it.

Then when you ask for a different device, it will be all documented.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh I have told them to and when I went to the store, the sales guy knew of our whole convo. He ordered a new phone right away. The tech that I called even went as far as putting in line service ticket.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

That is great. Keep making sure that the problems you are having are documented in your file. Then you won't have a problem if you want to switch to a new device.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

have you flashed the leaked 4.04 yet? It makes a huge difference in the 3/4g hand off.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

have you flashed the leaked 4.04 yet? It makes a huge difference in the 3/4g hand off.
I did flash the 4.0.4 radios only, and it seemed to make the hand off better, but the problem for me is the network, too. For now, I am waiting for the OTA update, although I may change my mind tomorrow.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriends network set to 3g and worked fine today in an area where calls were being dropped like hot potatoes yesterday. Switched to LTE and call dropped 8 seconds into the call.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk